linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx

Premium Member

What most do not understand

CL is a telephone company that is licensed by the Federal Communications Commission to bring wireline to the homes and maintain - as part of a national network -. connectivity from coast to coast.

Every state has some type of public utility commission that assures if you pay your bill your utilities will be delivered to your home in a timely manner. In this case the Utility means natural gas, lights and telephone.

Neither the FCC or the State utility commission regulates the Internet or dares to touches it. Until that changes you get what you get.

I have CL, a wireline, and a PUC. The three give me a very good product. The fact the web is bundled with the phone is incidental. But incidentally with an excellent wireline and a whole house filter I also have excellent Internet of 10/1 in town of 2000 in the middle of nowhere in the Midwest. If I want a really good doctor and more than one grocery store I drive 50 miles.

My nearest neighbor county town is 15 miles. AT&T provides a whopping 6/1 while the local WISP offers 5/.500. I think I am blessed. OTOH if I want a blazing fast 15/5 from cable I must buy the top tier cable package plus phone and web for $150. I'll stick with my $75 and SAT TV and still pay less. I can opt for 4/1 and VoIP. Been there; crappy. If I want VoIP that is works well then I have to pay at least $100. What I get is a really good DSL phone, and 10/2 as long as it is online.

The only time CL was down in the last 5 years was last fall during floods. The whole town was down. I was off line for less than 60 minutes. Cable was down for 3 days.

Good or bad, I am in for the long haul. If you want leverage get a telephone line in the house. Then PUC can help you if the phone does not work as promised.

My argument is very simple. If CL can sell 100T fiber to Paris, why can't I have a phone that works 24/7? Do remember it is not POTS. It is only as good as the phone you buy. I have a half-dozen that are horrible on VoIP and CL, too.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

Once again, CenturyLink doesn't "sell" 100T fiber to Paris. If CenturyLink does operate a 100T backbone to Paris, it's a different business unit anyway, and they almost certainly (like 100% likelihood) sell capacity on it to other companies. (Though "giant fiber line to Paris" has always seemed more AT&T or Verizon's style, or Level3/Cogent.)

Any citation on the fact that this 100T in paris exists?

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I read it in a CL public business announcement: 100T to Paris and to London.
coryw
join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ

coryw

Do you have a link?

Anyway, it's 100% guaranteed to be backhaul, transit in the style of Level3 or Cogent, and it certainly starts at a carrier hotel in New York, and ends at a carrier hotel in Paris and London. Not only can CL's customers use it to access content in Europe, but AT&T U-Verse, DSL, and Verizon FiOS and DSL customers, (in fact let's just go ahead and call it "all residential Internet users in the United States") are going to be using that line to access web sites hosted in Europe. The reverse will be happening too -- European users accessing content hosted in North America.

It's not like as a resident in Paris, you can sign up for CenturyLink home Internet and they'll bring a Technicolor C2000T or ZyXEL FR1000z to your house.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I get what you are saying and it makes perfectly good sense. I don't know understand why a hotel would be involved as France and UK have telco and some type of L3
dgoldstein
join:2014-07-21
Edgewood, NM

dgoldstein

CL bought Qwest and therefore owns all of the fiber that Qwest installed "worldwide". Not to some hotel in Paris.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

That's what I thought. I thought Qwest was a Southwestern operation? Mother had it.