uniqs

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

Re: [Electrical] Code question - lighting junction box and drop ceilings

I should probably be more specific. I am using the Ceiling Link system, which is a joist mounted plastic track. It isn't strong enough to support any weight other than the tiles themselves.
Link: »www.ceilinglink.com/

I'm using black track, with flat black Armstrong 2x2 tiles. I had planned on using a pendant like this, but in black:
»www.homedepot.com/p/Unbr ··· 03009430

I have 6" can lights going in the main part of the room, but there is a sewer pipe running through the joist bay over the bar, so those are out. I could put a junction box above the pipe, and let the pendant cord hang down one side of the pipe, and end up with them perfectly centered in a tile. But the pipe runs near the bottom of the bay, so I can't put a box there.

I understand the comments about not running the cord through the tile. But I think having the top fixture mounted off center in a tile would look silly, so I guess I need to shift my tiles a bit, then maybe add some framing to get the box out away from the joist, closer to the center. Unless someone has a better idea. The end goal here is just to throw some light on the bar top, without throwing it toward the screen.

Boneshadow
@68.110.21.x

Boneshadow

Anon

Mount an adjustable bar hanger and octagon above the pipe, the box can slide across the hanger to location needed, then add octagon extension rings to extend the box down to the tile.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

That might work, thanks!

Boneshadow
@68.110.21.x

Boneshadow to Camelot One

Anon

to Camelot One
And for what it's worth, having the pendants off-centered in a tile will not be as noticable as you may think. People will notice the pendant, their focus will not be on the ceiling tile layout.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3

MVM

I strongly suggest lining up the ceiling tiles, pendants and furniture, if at all possible. This is how its done in commercial buildings by architects, because its symmetrical and looks good.

John Galt6
Forward, March
Premium Member
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp

John Galt6

Premium Member

said by whizkid3:

I strongly suggest lining up the ceiling tiles, pendants and furniture, if at all possible. This is how its done in commercial buildings by architects, because its symmetrical and looks good.

Yes...this.