spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rradina
join:2000-08-08
Chesterfield, MO

rradina

Negative press? What About Liability?

How does the ISP distinguish a casual "browser" HTTP request and a life-saving device (think Negroponte on Neutrality) that uses HTTP to communicate a SOAP-encoded or JSON-encoded message to a monitoring system?

What if the ISP cuts someone off because DHCP/MAC address information/logs are incorrect?
sad guy
join:2013-03-11

sad guy

would such tactics even be legal? Sounds like extortion to me.
SunnyD
join:2009-03-20
Madison, AL

SunnyD

Extortion, wiretap, various malware laws, etc. Are they going to be getting rubber-stamp legislation for this to happen or are they going to be buying warrants?
ISurfTooMuch
join:2007-04-23
Tuscaloosa, AL

ISurfTooMuch to sad guy

to sad guy
said by sad guy:

would such tactics even be legal? Sounds like extortion to me.

That's what I'm thinking. Somebody is going to get sued, and you know that the ISP's lawyers are aware of this. This is a legal disaster waiting to happen.

Time
Premium Member
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA

Time to sad guy

Premium Member

to sad guy
I suspect that this company will be targeted by hackers if this ever comes to fruition, and probably those capable of far worse than a simple DoS.
Chubbysumo
join:2009-12-01
Duluth, MN
Ubee E31U2V1
(Software) pfSense
Netgear WNR3500L

Chubbysumo to sad guy

to sad guy
you signed a ToS with your ISP that allows them to do just that if they so choose to(up to and including account termination). Go read your ToS for once and stop this bullshit, you already agreed to them performing "network management" in the broadest sense, so you have ZERO right to bitch.

BigDeal
@74.115.237.x

BigDeal

Anon

Or, the customer terminates their own contract (aka, cancels service). I have 3 ISP's to pick from. Not loyal to ANY.

weaseled386
join:2008-04-13
Edgewater, FL

weaseled386

said by BigDeal :

Or, the customer terminates their own contract (aka, cancels service). I have 3 ISP's to pick from. Not loyal to ANY.

What makes you think the other two will not include the same language in their TOS?
AmericanMan
Premium Member
join:2013-12-28
united state

AmericanMan to BigDeal

Premium Member

to BigDeal
If all ISPs do this, then those 3 choices won't matter at all.

Also, I wonder if it will be mandated (either by law, or tax penalty) that all ISPs be mandated to start doing this.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Chubbysumo

MVM

to Chubbysumo
said by Chubbysumo:

you signed a ToS with your ISP that allows them to do just that if they so choose to(up to and including account termination).

The remediation section of my ISP AUP does not seem to cover "redirection until fee is paid". I suppose the "warning" could be broadly interpreted to mean something like that, but my ISP, on advice of legal counsel (so they claim) does not retain logs beyond, I believe, two weeks.
James_C
join:2007-08-03
Florence, KY

James_C

The default position of ISPs that process warning requests resulting in browser redirection is you are guilty until proven otherwise, that they don't do investigative work to pair IP logs with sites.

Generally you get cut off and they may send an email to you (which is laughable if you have no broadband to receive it) then you have to contact them to restore service. Where the logs come in is if it escalated into a John Doe discovery request for a court proceeding.