Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to cypherstream

Premium Member

to cypherstream

Re: No surprice TWC is falling behind again

said by cypherstream:

This is why TWC needs Comcast, and Comcast needs TWC.

We need to evaluate the merger based on pricing and competition. Comcast's engineering group is great - let them compete based on their network and the quality of their engineers, not a reduced market. If Comcast wanted they could overbuild into TWC territory.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

said by whfsdude:

If Comcast wanted they could overbuild into TWC territory.

That is an NOT going to happen, as it is economically unsound.
remember TWC put themselves on the market and Comcast's offer overwhelms Charter's which need financing from Comcast', as well as a purchase of larger parts of TWC by someone (likely Comcast as that would be their only benefit in being the bank)
Comcast is not reducing the market size, and it is TWC's choice to reduce the number of players/withdraw from business. (strange timing as this is the golden age of HFCoax , and the twilight of the Telco copper plant)

Right now there is great advantage to CC ownership as they are rapid pushing the US cable Industry to nexgen (IPv6, DOCSIS3/3.1, even limited FTTH) cable network upgrades.

vdiv
Premium Member
join:2002-03-23
Reston, VA

vdiv

Premium Member

It is not going to happen as it is not economically feasible?

Someone forgot to tell that to Verizon and especially to Google which lacks the rights of way.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

tshirt

Premium Member

Sorry, I replied to an OT post, really not v6 related

whfsdude
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

whfsdude to tshirt

Premium Member

to tshirt
said by tshirt:

That is an NOT going to happen, as it is economically unsound.

If they overbuilt their coax network, sure. However if they overbuilt with fiber it is likely viable. That's essentially what Google Fiber is doing.

RCN is another successful over builder.

They wouldn't have to overbuild in rural areas, only the major metro markets (eg. NYC, LA).
johan_hammy
join:2003-08-08
Dekalb, IL

johan_hammy to whfsdude

to whfsdude
Cable competition is very rare and where it is, TWC and Comcast aren't the ones doing it. WOW is the only over-builder that I know of, though I'm sure there's a couple more.

There will be no overbuilds by cable companies not already doing overbuilds.
johan_hammy

johan_hammy to vdiv

to vdiv
Verizon did FIOS as an evolution of DSL and then sold markets where it would never deploy FIOS.

Google Fiber is a toy project. They'll do only enough to force everyone else to do it for them. If sufficient advertising revenue could be achieved, though, they may continue.
BiggA
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

I think they may want to do most cities, but I don't foresee it scaling out into the more rural areas that are in far greater need of broadband options...
johan_hammy
Dekalb, IL

johan_hammy

There simply isn't that kind of money, even at Google. It's also largely useless.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT

BiggA

Premium Member

There's money when they start getting great uptake rates and high returns from Google Fiber.
johan_hammy
Dekalb, IL

johan_hammy

No, there isn't because there won't be high returns from Google Fiber.
BiggA
Premium Member
Central CT
·Frontier FiberOp..
Asus RT-AC68

BiggA

Premium Member

There will be excellent returns. They get good uptake rates, and they once they get through the initial install, the maintenance on their fiber plant should be pretty minimal. They are also doing urban areas, which have higher densities and good returns.