All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Vesely
join:2014-08-16
Mississauga, ON

Vesely

Could Bell HH 2000 improve the singal qualitystrength?

My house is ca. 1.8 km from the Bell street hub. Last February I had Bell technician to instal Fibe TV/Internet using a pair bonding technique and he determined that it was not viable since my line(s) were not connected with Lucent 7330 SLAM. At that time I had Fibe internet 10; the signal was not very stable.
Recently I talked to Bell tech and he stated that with the new HH 2000 I would not have a problem to receive Fibe TV and 25/10 internet speed. I am very skeptical about that, since the street hub-my house distance and the quality of Cu-wires remains the same and presumably no improvements in the infrastructure were made.
I would greatly appreciate any advice/comment

hlo207
join:2012-11-16
North York, ON

hlo207

What speed are you getting now using Speedtest.net from an ethernet connected computer?

Did you talk to an actual Bell tech that came to your house? Or someone on the tech support line?

I suspect the latter since the tech support line people are just reading off scripts when it comes to technical issues. I believe nothing can circumvent that 1.8km worth of copper wire unless they decide to mount the node closer or offer FTTH to the neighborhood. I was in the same situation until last summer. My old copper line can only support a 16/2 profile, anything higher will result in 100% line capacity. Therefore I don't think the HH2000 will fix anything other than the wifi signal inside the house.
Vesely
Mississauga, ON

Vesely

With 2-wire modem I was getting 10/0.66 when ethernet connected. This was usually after I complained about the poor speed. Then after a few weeks of not complaining it dropped to 3-7/0.66. After several complain/no complain variations I was forced to quit Bell. I spoke with tech support line, who told me about HH 2000 speed improvement.

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207

"Tech Support Line" has no clue to the statement they made! Unless some other experts here have better idea, that 10/0.66 is all you can get on a stable profile. If you go to any of the re-sellers, you will get no faster than that speed as long as you stay in phone line based internet service.

You can try to post in Direct Forum and those high level support there may even show you the actual line profile and possibly offer alternatives. Nothing can shorten that 1.8 km actual line distance. If your copper wire is in very bad shape, changing it may squeeze some speed out of it but not much.
btech805
join:2013-08-01
Canada

btech805 to Vesely

to Vesely
A modem cannot vastly improve signal quality. With vdsl2, a modem may improve line quality slightly using vectoring. Adsl2+ however does not factor this in, your speeds will not improve what so ever.
Vesely
Mississauga, ON

Vesely

hio207; btech805:
Thank you very kindly for your comments
btech805
Canada

btech805

Youre welcome. All the hh2000 will do is improve your wireless reception. I will finish by adding that you are right in coming to this forum for a 2nd opinion, our "tech support" are not techs, nor are our sales people and know very little of real world applications. They only know what they are told in power point presentations and training manuals.
Vesely
Mississauga, ON

Vesely

btech805;
Based on my past experience I fully agree with you. The only other point I noticed that on Bell internet site they now show 25/10 speed for my address. Could it be that Bell improved the infrastructure lately? How to find out this?

hlo207
North York, ON

hlo207 to Vesely

to Vesely
I see you already post in the Direct Forum. Bell_Dom can tell you the line profiles you can have. I am sure btech805 can do something similar.

If you read the fine prints from Bell, the speed is "Up To" only. Most likely on a copper wire phone line, you will get less than the speed advertise especially in the upload department. They tried that in my area 2 years back. I ordered 25/10 but the tech on installation day was surprised at that offer. Line tested at gateway and the highest speed was 25/3 but line line capacity would be at 100% hence very unstable. I was given 2 options: go back to my old 5/1 or take 15/10 (and get 16/1.77). I picked the latter as that will give me good ping when the TVPad runs.
btech805
Canada

btech805

The only difference in this case and yours is the we are now deploying remote 7330s in all fttn roll out areas, whereas in your case you were either hooked up to a remote oslam (stinger) or worse, a co based stinger. Luckily for you you have FTTH now

I can certainly look into what is available for you Vesely though, if 25/10 is now showing available upgrades were probably done. I'd need your street address or Bell home phone or dryloop number to qualify it. It will have to wait until Saturday though as I am off until then as the next two days are my "weekend". As hlo said, the direct forum can also assist you with this.
Vesely
Mississauga, ON

1 edit

Vesely

Thank you very much btech805 for your kindness and willingness for assessing the viability of my Cu-lines to Bell infrastructure for getting internet/Five TV to my location. My address is : Louis Drive, Mississauga. I definitely prefer your assessment, who has a practical real world knowledge and experience, over somebody's with office training only. Wishing you a wonderful weekend.
Vesely

Vesely

Btech805: I am still waiting
Vesely

Vesely

Btech805: I am still waiting