uniqs

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

[Internet] Seasonal service suspension

Does Bell still allow a seasonal service suspension on DSL? I remember it used to be free long time ago, they'd just suspend the login but kept the line active, and when you wanted to reactivate the service they would just reactivate the login.

I'm looking to get internet service for my cottage (Qualifies for 5/1), and I was initially thinking of an independent provider, but I'd be paying for useless serviece basically since the end of October until beginning of May or so...

I know Bell has a higher monthly rate, but if that can be offset with the service suspension, it could work out to my advantage.

Anyone know if this is still available?
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping

Last time I wanted to suspend the Bell Sat TV, they say there was a monthly fee for that. It's probably the same for every service.

dataiv
join:2002-02-25
Ottawa, ON

dataiv to HiVolt

to HiVolt
Why not just sign up with basic DSL from start.ca, for example... there is no install fee, and then just cancel in October, sign up again in May. It's $30/mth for the up to 6Mbit/800Kbit package.

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle to HiVolt

to HiVolt
Minimum 1 month, maximum 6 months (or 2 requests per year), $10/month while it's suspended. For comparison (not including sunk install costs for continuous service):

Bell:
$47.95/month for 5 Mb/s with 40 GB. Suspend for 6 months = $347.70/year

Teksavvy (continuous):
$26.99/month for 6 Mb/s with 75 GB. For 12 months = $323.88/year

Teksavvy (interrupt):
$26.99/month for 6 Mb/s with 75 GB. $50 installation + 6 months of service = $211.94/year

Start (continuous):
$30/month for 6 Mb/s with 100 GB. For 12 months = $360/year

Start (interrupt):
$30/month for 6 Mb/s with 100 GB. For 6 months = $180/year

Since Start doesn't charge for installation, it seems like that's your best bet if you're only using it for 6 months/year.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

This is also gonna be dryloop... I've been told start doesn't offer dryloop on 6meg dsl, and TSI is $5 extra on what you have there...

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
We don't have DSL at the cottage but we suspend our POTS phone service each Nov to April. There is a fee but less than monthly in use rate.
Line can't qualify for DSL I have Start dial up that connects at 26kb LOL

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS

said by koira:

We don't have DSL at the cottage but we suspend our POTS phone service each Nov to April. There is a fee but less than monthly in use rate.
Line can't qualify for DSL I have Start dial up that connects at 26kb LOL

We don't have wireline service or DSL. Just cell phones with Telus and, starting this summer,

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Anyway it looks like it's not worth it from Bell, with the hassle of having to call in to suspend. The price is not $47.95, it's $51.95 not in any bundle. I wouldn't have any bundles there.

Bell is seriously out of touch with the pricing for measly 5meg dsl.

When the time comes I'll just sign up with an independent.