spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

TomTom car?

It's certainly a colourful time in Welland today, with the thousands of soldiers joining the Lincoln and Welland Regiment in training exercises, turning the Hwy 140 corridor into something out of M*A*S*H, the Western New York police departments doing training along Niagara St, and a vehicle I spotted on Hwy 58A, which looked a lot like a Google car (so I waved) but turns out it was from TomTom. It had the large spire on the top but a smaller camera. Anyone know what they're up to?

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

2 edits

Gone

Premium Member

said by Last Parade:

and a vehicle I spotted on Hwy 58A, which looked a lot like a Google car (so I waved) but turns out it was from TomTom. It had the large spire on the top but a smaller camera. Anyone know what they're up to?

Something like Streetview but for Apple Maps?

Edit - Which police dpeartments? Lackawana? Tonawanda? Amherst? Hamburg? Hell, Blasdel?

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade
A few weeks back I had the cadillac of Mini vans out, the Town and Country, all the bells and whistles.

What I found is that has you approach a split in the highway a picture comes up shows you the split and which route to take.

The nav was (built in) provided by Garmin, I suspect TOM TOM is doing something similar.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade
Was the car a Cooper Mini?

koira
Hey Siri Walk Me
Premium Member
join:2004-02-16

koira to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
my garmin gps does that, must be common feature to their code

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

Just spotted 2 more of them on the move on I-190 SB through Buffalo. Like 65 in a 55 on the move.
Last Parade

Last Parade to Thane_Bitter

to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

Was the car a Cooper Mini?

i forgot to pay attention to what the car was. Wasn't that small though. New Hampshire plates.
Last Parade

1 edit

Last Parade to koira

to koira
said by koira:

my garmin gps does that, must be common feature to their code

Garmin and TomTom do lane guidance but they are definitely separate companies. My guess is this is, by extension, a way for Apple to get street view.

Edit, apparently other people noticed them a couple years ago and TomTom says:

"The vans are taking 360° shots around themselves so we can confirm street/road signs, road markings (such as lanes), and the geometry of the roads. This is used for internal purposes only and is not accessible to the public."