T-Mobile disrupted pricing

I must say that it now looks quite more appealing, and almost cheaper than TMO

jseymour
join:2009-12-11
Waterford, MI

jseymour

said by Tomek:

Almost, but not quite. T-Mobile gives you 3GB for $60/mo. and no overages.

But, still: 2GB would be enough for either my wife or I, by far. Neither of us use even the 1GB each of 4G we have, now. Thing is: TMO lets us add a line for $10. This is an individual plan, at VZW, so it'd be $120, for the two of us, rather than $70.

And I'm guessing the other goodies we get with TMO, VZW does not offer. Or they cost more $$$.

Jim

toby
Troy Mcclure
join:2001-11-13
Seattle, WA

toby

VZW's includes the phone subsidy, TMO doesn't.

VZW is cheaper if this is included.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Tomek

Premium Member

to Tomek
said by Tomek:

$60 is what I currently pay for unlimited data and texts, and 450 voice minutes with Verizon.
shmerl
join:2013-10-21

1 recommendation

shmerl to toby

to toby
Phone subsidies will die out together with contracts and higher monthly rates. There is no reason for them to do subsidies if not for contract lock-in and recovering the cost with higher monthly plans.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

clone (banned) to aaronwt

to aaronwt
You must have a generous corporate discount on voice/text service combined with a $20 data discount promo that was only offered for a few months back in 2010-2011. Most people aren't as lucky as us, the actual cost of that plan is around $90 before taxes/fees.

delusion ftl
@204.124.13.x

delusion ftl to Tomek

Anon

to Tomek
This is a limited time offer. That means you need to jump on it asap and that after you've signed up for 2 years of service and not allowed to add any additional lines (without migrating to the expensive plans), you may not be allowed to get another subsidized device and continue on the plan (like how grandfathered data users are trapped).

VZW is confident in this because based on data growth projections, and the consumer profile of most of the people who sign up on just one line, will wind up eventually using more than 2GB often and busting into nice fat overages over the next couple years.
Flycat
join:2003-05-12
Lawrence, MA

Flycat to toby

to toby
Yup, iphone 5s for $99 with unlimited talk/text and 2GB for $60. Works for me
78036364 (banned)
join:2014-05-06
USA

78036364 (banned) to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt:

said by Tomek:

$60 is what I currently pay for unlimited data and texts, and 450 voice minutes with Verizon.

The world doesn't revolve around unlimited data users arronwt. Why unlimited data users think everything Verizon does is about them is beyond me. This plan is clearly meant for those single line plans on Nationwide that currently have the 2 GB data plan. Verizon wants to move people to More Everything. instead of forcing them like they could have they are incentivizing them.

Nationwide single line 450 minutes unlimited text 2 GB data $90

Nationwide single line 450 minutes 1000 texts 2 GB data $80

More Everything single line plan unlimited minutes/texting with 2 GB data $60. It's a no brainer to move over.

78036364 (banned) to delusion ftl

to delusion ftl
said by delusion ftl :

This is a limited time offer. That means you need to jump on it asap and that after you've signed up for 2 years of service and not allowed to add any additional lines (without migrating to the expensive plans), you may not be allowed to get another subsidized device and continue on the plan (like how grandfathered data users are trapped).

What you can't have more than ONE line on a SINGLE line plan? How evil of Verizon!

VZW is confident in this because based on data growth projections, and the consumer profile of most of the people who sign up on just one line, will wind up eventually using more than 2GB often and busting into nice fat overages over the next couple years.

You do realize that on the old Nationwide plan the cheapest data plan is 2 GB. and that plan cost at least $80 a month. The next tier up on that plan is 5 GB which is $20 more.
clone (banned)
join:2000-12-11
Portage, IN

1 recommendation

clone (banned)

You do realize that those $80-100 single line plans were ridiculously overpriced, even by Verizon's standards, and are now just coming back into line with the market, right? Oh, you know everything, I'm sure you knew that.

They are lowering their prices because single-lines are churning to T-Mobile and MVNOs in droves. They aren't being Mr. Nice Guy Verizon by lowering prices, they're trying to keep single-line folks from defecting en masse as they have been for years now. They have to do something to stem the hemorrhaging.
78036364 (banned)
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by clone:

You do realize that those $80-100 single line plans were ridiculously overpriced, even by Verizon's standards, and are now just coming back into line with the market, right? Oh, you know everything, I'm sure you knew that.

They are lowering their prices because single-lines are churning to T-Mobile and MVNOs in droves. They aren't being Mr. Nice Guy Verizon by lowering prices, they're trying to keep single-line folks from defecting en masse as they have been for years now. They have to do something to stem the hemorrhaging.

The main point of the new pricing is to get those people move from Nationwide to More Everything so they are not having 2 distinct plans. They are not losing customers. Look at their churn rate lower than T-Mobile's. If they get people to move over from different carriers or somehow get unlimited data customers to give up unlimited data those are side benefits.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList to toby

Premium Member

to toby
phone subsidies cost more for everyone.
78036364 (banned)
USA

78036364 (banned)

said by ArrayList:

phone subsidies cost more for everyone.

people CHOOSE to take subsidized phones. No one forces them to.

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

Yeah and I choose to go to Comcast for my High Speed Internet. It's not much of a choice.

Eagles1221
join:2009-04-29
Vincentown, NJ

Eagles1221 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
I have a corporate plan and my plan at 450 minutes and unlimited data is $88. How did you get it to 60?

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

1 recommendation

bbbc to 78036364

to 78036364
said by Mr Guy :

The world doesn't revolve around unlimited data users arronwt. Why unlimited data users think everything Verizon does is about them is beyond me.

It's interesting that you as a new DLSR user always siding with Verizon. Kind of makes you wonder who butters your bread.

Hope you read the article today how Verizon is effing all the copper folks over. I'm sure you have an excuse for that too.
bbbc

bbbc to clone

to clone
said by clone :

They aren't being Mr. Nice Guy Verizon by lowering prices, they're trying to keep single-line folks from defecting en masse as they have been for years now. They have to do something to stem the hemorrhaging.

I'd love to be a fly on Verizon's wall and see the stats on how many folks are going to TMO because of the ETF promo.

jaykresge
@50.135.246.x

jaykresge to jseymour

Anon

to jseymour
I'm sorry, but your math is slightly off.

You're correct in that two lines on Verizon's new plan would be $120/mo. T-Mobile is different. It's not $10 per line. It's $30 for line #2, and $10 for each additional line. Secondly, you don't get the 3GB data per line at that cost. You still have to pay the extra fee. So...

$50 for first line
$30 for second line
$10 for each additional line
+$10 per line for 3GB, +$20 per for 5GB, and +$30 for unlimited

So two lines and 3GB per is $100 ($50+30+10+10), not $70.

So your comparison is:
T-Mobile = $100, 3GB per line, overage throttling
Verizon = $120, 2GB per line, $15/GB overage

Also keep in mind that Verizon has a subsidy built in as well (see my separate post below).

cb14
join:2013-02-04
Miami Beach, FL

cb14 to Tomek

to Tomek
Once you pay their overage, you will discover the difference.
itguy05
join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

itguy05 to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

said by clone :

They aren't being Mr. Nice Guy Verizon by lowering prices, they're trying to keep single-line folks from defecting en masse as they have been for years now. They have to do something to stem the hemorrhaging.

I'd love to be a fly on Verizon's wall and see the stats on how many folks are going to TMO because of the ETF promo.

Well, they do notice. When I churned from Verizon to T-Mobile in April of this year, I got a call the next business day from Verizon with an offer to come back. Not a good offer but an offer nonetheless.

This plan has existed for a while - it's the old "Loyalty Plan". After I left I put the wife on that since she's still on Verizon.

spewak
R.I.P Dadkins
Premium Member
join:2001-08-07
Elk Grove, CA

spewak to 78036364

Premium Member

to 78036364
Oh mr guy,
T-Mobile is churning all those lines from Verizon, hence the offer. The mighty V would not be offering this if it were not so.
bethy
join:2009-06-17

bethy to jseymour

to jseymour
Freedompop 2 GB 4G, unlimited 3G, unlimited text and voice, $20.