Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

DelmarPip
Premium
join:2011-10-15
Brownsville, TX

may need to upgrade NIC card found 3 possible choices

i need a new NIC card this will be used in a windows 8.1 then a windows 9 or linux pc dont know yet i did hear windows 9 will be free so most likely it will be windows 9

i have these 3 will they be good reliable also need a super fast NIC faster then anything out there

intel X540-T1

intel i350-t2

intel I210

what you think help me pick that will work in a desktop pc not a server

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Why do you think you need a new NIC?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to DelmarPip

And why spend so much money when an Intel CT gigabit card will suffice?
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
reply to DelmarPip

For information about previous issues see thread:

»may need new nic card ?

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

1 recommendation

reply to DelmarPip

This post makes me giggle AND gives me sad face. You don't go to ATM machine, you go to an ATM. You don't need a NIC card, you need a NIC. The M in ATM stands for machine, and the C in NIC stands for card.

You say you're not running a server, but the three cards you picked are intended for server use. Besides hoping they're compatible with a undetermined OS, what function do you hope they'll provide that a Rosewill RC-411 will not? I understand the need for a 10Gb NIC if you have a direct pipe to your ISP's core, but I seriously doubt it.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···-Product

-- I've used 9 of these in the past, and only one has failed. That is kind of expected when lightning hits the house though.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

said by weaseled386:

This post makes me giggle AND gives me sad face. You don't go to ATM machine, you go to an ATM. You don't need a NIC card, you need a NIC. The M in ATM stands for machine, and the C in NIC stands for card.

You say you're not running a server, but the three cards you picked are intended for server use. Besides hoping they're compatible with a undetermined OS, what function do you hope they'll provide that a Rosewill RC-411 will not? I understand the need for a 10Gb NIC if you have a direct pipe to your ISP's core, but I seriously doubt it.

»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···-Product

-- I've used 9 of these in the past, and only one has failed. That is kind of expected when lightning hits the house though.

Yabbut the server cards supercharge the electrons so they flow faster. Maybe the OP needs a Killer network card. »www.legitreviews.com/bigfoot-net···w_1478/6
--

weaseled386

join:2008-04-13
Port Orange, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·AT&T U-Verse

Click for full size
Sigh... Get with the times, amateurs! Why supercharge your network when you can supercharge your HOUSE? I don't like to let my secrets out, but being 99% anonymous makes it ok. Since I installed this device my lights are clearer, my water is hotter, and my AC is colder. That Killer NIC claims a 5% increase to "Gamers who are competitive or frequent LANs." Why not get 5.5% with my device?!

Pro Tip: Geeksquad installs these for $67.66 (USD). To get the deal you must mention "Marty McFly is awesome" at the counter.

EDIT: This really is a must have for those who like to blast noobs on CoD and/or pewpewpew baddies on WoW.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to DelmarPip

said by DelmarPip:

faster then anything out there

What are you doing with your PC? I've run servers from busted laptops with 10/100 OEM NICs so at the end of the day, you want a card that meets your needs, and most cards should.

Short of competitive gaming, and dedicated server builds, your current card should be good enough.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

asdfdfdfdfdf
Premium
join:2012-05-09
reply to DelmarPip

The poster is having trouble with the current card since updating to windows 8.1. Hence the question about a new card.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

said by asdfdfdfdfdf:

The poster is having trouble with the current card since updating to windows 8.1. Hence the question about a new card.

A network card is a network card. There is absolutely nothing "super fast" or special about them. My experience, over the years, biases me towards Intel. The Intel CT Gigabit card is very good. It is fully supported in Windows 8, 8.1 and operating systems you have probably never heard of, including MS-DOS.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

said by DKS:

biases me towards Intel

I'm also biased to Intel nic's

I would put my intel quad nic from my computer in my server but I want to aim for using the same nic repeatedly rather than mix.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

DelmarPip
Premium
Brownsville, TX
reply to DelmarPip

ok its getting worse the driver keeps disapearing and its the new driver just released windows says ur network card is either having driver or hardware problems

does any one know if radio shack or best buy has intel nics in store ?

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to DelmarPip

Just for giggles, what switch (make and model) will this NIC be plugged into?

DelmarPip
Premium
Brownsville, TX
reply to DelmarPip

whats a switch is that a fancy way of sayin router ?

anyways i took out the intel nic cuz after the driver started disapearing it seems its dead but now its been removed the pc seems better all the wierd stuff is fixed ? i just ordered a new intel nic will be here by monday

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada

OK - what router will it be plugged into, then?

DelmarPip
Premium
Brownsville, TX

i got the netgear nighthawk

DelmarPip
Premium
Brownsville, TX
reply to DelmarPip

update
read all over the net ppl havin problems with windows 8.1 and the intel CT nic so i tried finding a newer desktop gig nic didnt find any so i got this the Intel I210-T1 im gona try it out an see how it goes

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON

1 recommendation

"All over the net"? Intel has superb driver support. The latest 8.1 drivers are less than a month old. Intel rolls out new drivers very quickly. Given that you have now paid double the price for a server grade NIC, that is entirely your privilege. But the CT would have met your needs at half the price. PT Barnum was right.
--

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by DKS:

But the CT would have met your needs at half the price. PT Barnum was right.

There are many, many things one can criticize Windows 8/8.1 for but driver support isn't one of them.

There are really only 2 possibilities here, the OPs NIC is defective, or more likely the OP's Win 8.1 installation is problematic.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

DelmarPip
Premium
Brownsville, TX
reply to DelmarPip

the intel CT was a bit over 4 years old also may have been damaged by the power outages at the last place I lived at some times 3 power outages a day that's why I moved out

some of the symptoms I thought may have been caused by the graphics card im still testing it out so not sure

1. pc crashed to black screen during web browsing
2. crashing to black screen watching videos on youtube or other sites
3. the stupid intel driver kept disappearing
4. trying to install the driver kept giving no intel nics installed mesege
5. the pc crashed to black screen at random times while it was just on

now that the intel CT is gone the pc is doin good no crashing to black screen or other weird crashes YET its been 24 hrs left pc on all night !