spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Apartment 1

@74.215.77.x

Turning ZTE Gateway modem into bridge device

I recently recieved Cincinnati Bell service to my apartment. I have a high quality router that I want to use as my router, but the ZTE Gateway is a router in itself. The ZTE router is not up to par with what I want and I would prefer to use my own router. For some reason Cincinnati Bell didn't have a modem without router capabilities for my house which I thought was odd. I'm just hoping someone has cracked how to change the ZTE Gateway into a bridge device so I will be able to use it strictly as a modem.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
Its going to depend on your setup. Are you some sort of Xdsl or FTTH?

I am FTTH and CB told me that the router can not be setup in bridge mode. Had it escalated when they did install and all I got was no. I specifically asked sales guy when signing up about this. Didn't want the hassle of double NAT.

That being said I finally got around to seeing if my asus ac68 could take over some of the ZTE functions. Placed the ZTE behind my router to back feed my tvs via coax and so far its working. But then haven't watched much tv. (about 15 minutes) Only issue is some setting changes and reboot of router almost always gets me a new ip. Even gave the asus the mac address of zte to keep same ip. At first it would get same ip but wouldn't route.

Apartment 1

@74.215.77.x
said by dcurrey:

It is FTTH. I find it hard to believe that they can't give us a simple modem that does normal modem things and instead they give us a sub-par router/modem mix without a way to bridge.

Apartment 1

@74.215.77.x
said by Apartment 1 :

said by dcurrey:

It is FTTH. I find it hard to believe that they can't give us a simple modem that does normal modem things and instead they give us a sub-par router/modem mix without a way to bridge.

Actually it's VDSL2, so is there a way to bridge it, then?

DeathK
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Cincinnati, OH
reply to Apartment 1
»personal.inet.fi/private/micax/9···V2.0.pdf

Info for bridging it should be on pages 64-66
--
Photos By Greg Strong

wsmith06

join:2005-02-28
Hebron, KY
Thanks DeathK,
I'm faced with the same challenges. It looks like in the PDF, bridging starts on page 70 if you go by actually pages. There's an issue though (unless I'm missing something) the directions do reflect what is available, at least on my ZTE, no option to remove the existing PTM VSDL2. I tried a few other options nothing that worked for me so I've had to go back to the old defaults. Anyone know if CB has a list of compatible VDSL2 modems we might be able to buy ourselves? I'd prefer just to run my own setup and for years feel like I'm a slave to this red tapped policy ZTE modem/router.
Thanks all for the info and collaboration. Cheers!

wsmith06

Hebron, KY
Called and talked to CB Tech Support. Here are the modems I was told are compatible and supported currently (for their Fioptics).
- Zyxel vsg1432
- ZTE ZXHNH368c
- Westell 7500

Best one appears to be the Zyxel. I would double check with them before anyone spends money as I know some variables can impact what is and is not compatible with your service. Mine maxs out at 30mb currently though I know some areas are up to 50mb -1gb upload speeds.

mudtoe

join:2005-10-09
Cincinnati, OH

1 edit
reply to dcurrey
So you were able to connect the WAN port of your AC68 to the ONT and get an IP address via DHCP just like a "normal" LAN?

Oh, I see in another thread that the answer to that is yes.

wsmith06

Hebron, KY
Just got the ZyXEL VSG1432 setup and now in Bridge mode using my Apple Airport Extreme A/C as router and for the past few hour all is good. Here are the steps I followed: »Zyxel VSG1432-B101 Modem