spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Michael9009
join:2006-07-28
Toronto, ON

Michael9009 to Nitra

to Nitra

Re: [Internet] Can Pair Bonding Improve the Upload Speed?

said by Nitra:

Hah....
The bot can and will adjust your profile again.

If it detects that your line is having issues, or is over capacity thresholds.

Well, hopefully, not. I am told that the 'robot' has been permanently turned off: "DLM State: Disabled". Not sure what the acronym DLM stands for.

So far, after 28 hours, the line is holding strong with 9.5 Mbps upload speed.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

Best test will be thought the new year, cross your fingers.
Generally though, the sync should be higher in the winter, as it warms up dsl usually has more issues. Not always, but it's a good rule of thumb as the cables expand.
lowping
join:2013-08-04

lowping to Nitra

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

Right, that's not even logical.
There are audit bots that run on different parts of the network, they can trip and cause the profile to change.
Also, if there's firmware updates on the ops node, this too could cause it to show back up.
If there's a port change, or change or equipment, the profile can change.

There's only one bot that check profile. If it's not enable for X line, it can't do anything on that line.

Like I said, it doesn't re-enable by itself if it was truly deactivated.

Nitra
join:2011-09-15
Montreal

Nitra

That's fine, when the op reposts next year because his upload is down, I guess you'll know why.

Michael9009
Toronto, ON

Michael9009

To clarify, again:

I had Bell turn off the 'robot' in April 2013 and my upload speed was 10 Mbps until early this year when 'something' happened.

On 9 August, when Bell changed my modem to the HH2000 to improve the speed and connectivity, I asked the technician who confirmed that: the 'robot' was off, I was on fast path, I was set on an 11 Mbps upload profile, but my line was syncing at 8.5 Mbps.

I've got a follow-up call from the Bell Technical Escalations Department in Ottawa and a gentleman named D. told me that he would not raise my upload profile above 8.5 Mbps because he wanted to maintain the line utilization below 85%. He confirms that the line is on fast path and the 'robot' is off. He mentioned that Bell would not do pair bonding for me.

Then, the modem stops working and another technician replaces it with a new one on 25 August. The technician also mentioned to me that he looked at my profile and changed my DSL PPPoE password. He said that this is standard procedure, although Bell exchanged other modems for me and no technician ever changed the password.

Right after the technician's visit, I discovered that my upload speed was further lowered to 7.4 Mbps and the line was switched to interleave.

Thanks to the Direct Forum, I am now back at 9.5 Mbps upload speed and fast path.

If it matters, I am connected to a Stinger which was installed in November 2007. I was likely one of the first ones to be connected to this DSLAM.
Michael9009

Michael9009 to Nitra

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

Best test will be thought the new year, cross your fingers.

What is this story about the new year exactly all about? I remember my upload speed went down to 8.5 Mbps from 10 Mbps at the beginning of 2014 (in January?), after the line had been perfectly fine for ten months.
lowping

lowping to Nitra

to Nitra
said by Nitra:

That's fine, when the op reposts next year because his upload is down, I guess you'll know why.

Yes, blame everything on the robot. Line issues are non existent on DSL.
lowping

lowping to Michael9009

to Michael9009
said by Michael9009:

To clarify, again:

I had Bell turn off the 'robot' in April 2013 and my upload speed was 10 Mbps until early this year when 'something' happened.

On 9 August, when Bell changed my modem to the HH2000 to improve the speed and connectivity, I asked the technician who confirmed that: the 'robot' was off, I was on fast path, I was set on an 11 Mbps upload profile, but my line was syncing at 8.5 Mbps.

I've got a follow-up call from the Bell Technical Escalations Department in Ottawa and a gentleman named D. told me that he would not raise my upload profile above 8.5 Mbps because he wanted to maintain the line utilization below 85%. He confirms that the line is on fast path and the 'robot' is off. He mentioned that Bell would not do pair bonding for me.

Then, the modem stops working and another technician replaces it with a new one on 25 August. The technician also mentioned to me that he looked at my profile and changed my DSL PPPoE password. He said that this is standard procedure, although Bell exchanged other modems for me and no technician ever changed the password.

Right after the technician's visit, I discovered that my upload speed was further lowered to 7.4 Mbps and the line was switched to interleave.

Thanks to the Direct Forum, I am now back at 9.5 Mbps upload speed and fast path.

If it matters, I am connected to a Stinger which was installed in November 2007. I was likely one of the first ones to be connected to this DSLAM.

Sounds like a line issue more then anything. You're very lucky to get 10mbps upload on a stinger to start off with.

Michael9009
Toronto, ON

Michael9009

said by lowping:

Sounds like a line issue more then anything. You're very lucky to get 10mbps upload on a stinger to start off with.

And likely a technician who changed some settings.
lowping

lowping

said by Michael9009:

said by lowping:

And likely a technician who changed some settings.

Yeah sounds about right. For some reason they still don't understand the false reading on the stinger for upload.

Michael9009
Toronto, ON

Michael9009 to lowping

to lowping
For information, these are my line stats for upload, before (A) and after (B):

A. 8128 kbps sync: 84% utilization, 7 dB noise margin, 25 dB attenuation;

B. 10208 kbps sync: 98% utilization, 5.7 dB noise margin, 25.5 dB attenuation,
lowping

lowping

said by Michael9009:

For information, these are my line stats for upload, before (A) and after (B):

A. 8128 kbps sync: 84% utilization, 7 dB noise margin, 25 dB attenuation;

B. 10208 kbps sync: 98% utilization, 5.7 dB noise margin, 25.5 dB attenuation,

And most tech would lower you profile because they think it's going to be intermittent and rather not have a call back.

Michael9009
Toronto, ON

Michael9009

said by lowping:

And most tech would lower you profile because they think it's going to be intermittent and rather not have a call back.

From the modem log and the time when the IP address changed, it seems that the technician changed the settings after he had left from my place.