Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline

Premium Member

Symantec folds nine Norton products into one service

quote:
Symantec will consolidate its cluttered Norton line of security software, folding nine products into one online service that can be used across desktop computers and mobile devices.
»www.csoonline.com/articl ··· ice.html

HA Nut
Premium Member
join:2004-05-13
USA

1 recommendation

HA Nut

Premium Member

Thanks for the post. I was not aware of this.

I can understand the thoughts behind this. Most users have no clue about what they need, how to deal with it, don't pay attention to whether it's active or not and on and on. From this perspective, it makes a lot of sense.

$79 per year is steep, no matter how many devices. That does NOT make sense. It's too much when free is out there.

Would I be interested? No. I do not want a product that is one size fits all. I doubt I ever will. I mix and match with what I consider the best for me and my computer/habits.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

1 recommendation

PX Eliezer1 to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
This fails the Goldilocks test.

The service is too expensive for the typical residential market, and too basic for the high-end business market.

I can't see many people that it's just-right for.

Drunkula
Premium Member
join:2000-06-12
Denton, TX

2 recommendations

Drunkula to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
That decides it for me. I will not be going that route when my NIS finally runs out. No way in hell would I install anything that may exhibit Norton 360 like behavior.

fluffybunny
@69.172.160.x

fluffybunny to siljaline

Anon

to siljaline
the only good software symantec makes is backup exec -- and even that cant do bare metal restores of windows server 2012 r2 servers.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline to HA Nut

Premium Member

to HA Nut
If a one year sub is that expensive they might be targeting a higher end user market but since I'm not familiar with the product(s) - I can't comment.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ

2 recommendations

DownTheShore to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
Too expensive, and saying that as someone who has Norton on two computers.

Tobester
join:2000-11-14
San Francisco, CA

Tobester

I've been using Norton Internet Security on three computers for twenty years now.
With the new changes, Symantec is forcing me to competitors.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to siljaline

to siljaline
You all still use norton? Norton doesn't even pick up 75% of malware on you're computer, if even 90%.

Want something that will pick up everything? Try malwarebytes and also I recommend the CCleaner that cleans out all unnecessary junk that takes up space, slows down you're pc.

NotGreen
@50.7.71.x

1 recommendation

NotGreen

Anon

said by diablo18926:

You all still use norton? Norton doesn't even pick up 75% of malware on you're computer, if even 90%.

Want something that will pick up everything? Try malwarebytes and also I recommend the CCleaner that cleans out all unnecessary junk that takes up space, slows down you're pc.

It's obvious you don't know at all you're talking about, besides, it's clearly FUD.

Btw, statement from MBAM's website:

" Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild". This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors. It is important to note that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware works well and should run alongside antivirus software without conflicts. In some rare instances, exclusions may need to be set for your specific antivirus product to achieve the best possible system performance."

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

Too expensive, and saying that as someone who has Norton on two computers.

Looks like they're pricing their way out of the AV market - as I've said already.

ESET Home v7 is $40 bucks a year and that's with full social and forum support.

Citing ESET for comparative purposes only and not as a plug.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
Beautiful NJ

3 recommendations

DownTheShore to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
said by diablo18926:

Have you used Norton since 2009?

I have, and it's kept my computers clean. I use layered security that also includes MBAM.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to siljaline

to siljaline
Alright I'll bite, explain to me what layered security and MBAM is?

Why have I been told by several people including my brother that got all staright A's back in school and is now learning C++ and highly experienced in getting computers to use what he recommends as a better malware removal program? It's been proven that norton will pick up anything that it "thinks" is malware but really is not or am i wrong on this too?

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

2 recommendations

sivran

Premium Member

Malwarebytes does not pick up "everything" -- nothing does.

Practically every antivirus has the occasional false positive.

I haven't used Norton myself in a long time--though my work laptop has Symantec security, that's an enterprise version, a whole different animal--but I understand it has made significant improvements since the bloated days of yore.

You come here with an attitude that you know it all, yet you don't even understand what is meant by security in layers? Have a waltz through the FAQ please, before you embarrass yourself further.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

NAV - Norton Antivirus was bloated and clunky even back in the late 90's IIRC as I did run it when it was an AV de rigueur.
Zee5tH98
join:2005-09-08

Zee5tH98 to siljaline

to siljaline
I:m disappointed by this latest move by Symantec.I have 3 pc's I am using NIS on and it runs well and is not the old bloated Symantec,soon I will be upgrading my XP pc so I will have 4 pc's running windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit and $79.00 is just too much.I prefer the all in one AV with Firewall it has worked well with me.Does anyone know of a reasonably priced suite or a free AV FW suite? Besides NIS I use Winpatrol,Malawarebytes on demand,SAS on demand,Spyware Blaster and Spybot S&D as scanners to run monthly or bi monthly just to check if all is clean.I thank you in advance for any suggestions.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

That 79$ though might just get you all four PCs covered, which isn't that bad really.

Pricing for the online backup sounds kinda high though.

I don't use a suite myself. Currently running Avast on Win 8. Windows Firewall, Malwarebytes, Clamwin, and ad blocking via both HOSTS file and Ghostery round out the rest of my security setup.

Zupe
MVM
join:2001-11-29
New York, NY

Zupe to siljaline

MVM

to siljaline
As far as the price, keep in mind that the official retail price for most current Norton products is somewhere between $50 and $80 right now, and yet I've been getting NIS/N360 for free after rebate through Newegg or elsewhere for years. I very much doubt there'll be a need to pay the full $79 per year price if you want to continue using Symantec's product.

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
Beautiful NJ

2 recommendations

DownTheShore to diablo18926

Premium Member

to diablo18926
said by diablo18926:

Alright I'll bite, explain to me what layered security and MBAM is?

Why have I been told by several people including my brother that got all staright A's back in school and is now learning C++ and highly experienced in getting computers to use what he recommends as a better malware removal program? It's been proven that norton will pick up anything that it "thinks" is malware but really is not or am i wrong on this too?

MBAM = Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

Layered security means that you aren't just using one product to cover all possible attack vectors. This is because no one product perfectly protects you from everything; it's an impossibility. So what you try to do is install a group of security products that work well together on your particular computer (and that's something that each user has to determine for his-or-herself) that will give you the degree of protection that you desire.

For example, on this particular computer (Win 8.1) I am using the supplied Windows Firewall as my firewall protection. I'm using Trend Micro as my anti-virus. I use MBAM Pro as my anti-spyware program because it will run real-time. I use Zemana Anti-Logger as an anti-keylogger program because this is a laptop that I use away from home. I use SuperAntiSpyware as a manual scanner set to a daily schedule. I use WinPatrol Plus as a real-time monitor of any changes that might be made to my system without my direct request. I use Spyware Blaster and keep it updated.

When I connect to the internet at home, I connect through a router with strong encryption.

I use Pale Moon as my browser of choice with the extensions No-Script, Ad Block Plus, WOT (Web of Trust) and Flagfox as security items.

I've come up with a combination of items that works well for me and my computer usage without slowing down my computer, and that manages to snag and/or alert me to anything suspect. That is layered security.

Norton was a very good product in the 1990's but by the early 2000's it had become bloated with excess functions and it began to fall behind the other anti-virus programs in its effectiveness. In 2009, Symantec completely re-wrote the code and since that time it's been a totally different product than the one that people tend to remember and dismiss. Norton is currently a very good program. The major complaint that some here have with it now is that it doesn't provide enough fine-grain control for those who really like to fine-tune their security settings beyond what the average user would normally need; it's more set-and-forget on the surface than some others are.

Your brother may have had straight A's in school, well, so did I and so did a lot of other people in this forum. There are also a lot of people here who work in the IT field as a profession and manage their companies' systems. I've used Norton on my other computers since 2009 as part of my layered security - the anti-virus on one and the internet suite on the other - and I've never had a false positive, it's never quarantined anything in error, and I've never had a virus/trojan/rootkit, etc.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline

Premium Member

Don't forget to layer in Safe Hex in there

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

True, I should have included that, but then I ALWAYS practice Safe Hex.
PX Eliezer1
Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

2 recommendations

PX Eliezer1 to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

Layered security means that you aren't just using one product to cover all possible attack vectors....

To this excellent explanation I would simply add: Same principle as layered clothing.

siljaline
Premium Member
Montreal, QC

1 recommendation

siljaline to DownTheShore

Premium Member

to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

True, I should have included that, but then I ALWAYS practice Safe Hex.

Funny you should say that - Safe Hex is no longer a popular search term.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

2 recommendations

jaykaykay

MVM

I hadn't looked it up in ages, having just practiced it for what seems like forever. But just for fun, I did, and here's a result I found:

Safe Hex: The Rules for Safe Computing

Updated 19. September 2011 - 6:32 by Anonymous

The Most Important Security Advice of all

The task of protecting your PC from infection is similar to crossing a busy road unharmed.

There are two, very different ways of crossing that road:

The first way is to be very careful about where you cross and to be watchful and aware of the dangers. In other words, make sure you don't get hit.

The other approach is to protect yourself with something like an army tank and cross anywhere, anytime. If you get hit, you rely on the tank to protect you.

Now no sensible person would adopt the latter approach to crossing a road, yet when it comes to computer security that's exactly what many folks do.

If you want real computer security, you need to adopt safe computing practices rather than rely totally on security products to protect you. No security product or combination of products can or ever will, provide perfect PC security just like no car can provide you with perfect road safety. With both cars and PCs you need to be careful in your own behavior.

Like the rules of road safety we teach our kids, the rules for safe computing are simple and well known:

1. Be very careful where you surf. To help you stay away from bad sites install a website rating browser plug-in like WOT and make sure you only visit websites rated "Green" by the plug-in.

2. Never click on email attachments from unknown sources however tempting and attractive such attachments may seem.

3. Only download files from trusted sources. These include:
Files hosted on reputable download sites such as download.com, snapfilescom, softpedia.com, majorgeeks.com and other similar sites.
Files mentioned in the editorial sections of major computer websites and publications such as PC World, CNet, Windows Secrets, Lifehacker and of course, Gizmo's Freeware.
Open source software hosted on sourceforge.net, Mozilla.org and similar large open source sites.
Files available for download from Microsoft, Google, HP, Dell and other reputable vendors.

4. Never install programs obtained from P2P networks including BitTorrent, eMule, LimeWire and others as many of these files are infected with malicious programs. Some of these malicious programs are so powerful they are capable of overwhelming all your security defenses.

5. Never install programs that friends give you on removable media unless you have verified that they are clean by submitting them to free web based file scanning services such as Jotti or Virus Total.

6. Never accept free toolbars, media players or other unsolicited software offered to you by a website.

By following these simple rules the chances of your PC becoming infected will be dramatically reduced. Combine these practices with
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
said by siljaline:

Don't forget to layer in Safe Hex in there

This is likely the most important method to keeping a computer clean. And it is why lots of people end up with computers that are not clean.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

1 recommendation

Nightfall to siljaline

MVM

to siljaline
From what I am reading, it says the cost will be comparable to their current internet security suite which is $80 a year for 3 systems, and I would bet you can find discounts on those. I know I have bought it for $35 to protect 3 systems before. If they successfully put all those in one package and sell it like that, I think it will be successful. Especially with all the OEM systems that come with this software on it.
Nightfall

3 recommendations

Nightfall to DownTheShore

MVM

to DownTheShore
said by DownTheShore:

Your brother may have had straight A's in school, well, so did I and so did a lot of other people in this forum. There are also a lot of people here who work in the IT field as a profession and manage their companies' systems. I've used Norton on my other computers since 2009 as part of my layered security - the anti-virus on one and the internet suite on the other - and I've never had a false positive, it's never quarantined anything in error, and I've never had a virus/trojan/rootkit, etc.

This right here!

I know that I was a big supporter of Norton back until around 2007. Then, I dropped it because it got too bloated. In 2009 when they rewrote the code, I went back to it and now I have this on my parents and siblings systems as their security. It works great as part of a multi-layered security with Malwarebytes. Best of all, I don't have to babysit the darn software. If it has a subscription, it just runs without incident.

There are many IT professionals and hobbyists that proclaim that Norton is bloated and horrible. Course, they haven't used the product in 5 years and are going off of outdated information. Software changes all the time, and we should be looking at this software and not relying on 5 year old information and passing it on as truth.
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder to siljaline

to siljaline
I'd like to know more about the cloud based protection they news articles say they are moving to. Like what happens if you aren't connected to the internet and insert an infected usb drive or their servers are under a ddos attack?

DownTheShore
Pray for Ukraine
Premium Member
Beautiful NJ

DownTheShore

Premium Member

That's probably where the layered security would be helpful since it would pick up the slack in those instances. Unless AV software based in the cloud will still have a core heuristic component on-board the computer designed to kick out an alert, irregardless of internet connection.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

Kearnstd

Premium Member

Especially since some of the nasty stuff out there will kill your internet connection specifically so you cannot seek out tools to remove it.