Canada

4 edits

1 recommendation

Davesnothere to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay

Re: Symantec folds nine Norton products into one service

said by jaykaykay:

2. Never click on email attachments from unknown sources, however tempting and attractive such attachments may seem.

But it's perfectly safe with attachments of messages from sources/folks which you DO know ?

I've seem SOOOOO many mainstream news correspondents get that one wrong when trying to present a piece similar to what you are offering in your above post !

The reality of the matter is that it's the folks who ARE in your (and your friends'/family's/neighbours') address book(s) who are the MOST worrisome sources, as viruses harvest peoples' address book(s) and send themselves as attachments of fake messages to everyone in those book(s).

eMail viruses are a betrayal of an established trust, between us and those with whom we regularly exchange messages.

Why would we even bother to open email from folks who we don't know anyway ?

Most of THOSE are unwanted/unsolicited, and many are SPAM and/or SCAM - Not so much viruses and malware, as instead nuisances on a different level.

Attachments are potentially dangerous no matter WHAT the source, but they are FAR more frequent coming from folks who we DO know.

chip89
Premium Member
join:2012-07-05
Columbia Station, OH

chip89 to siljaline

Premium Member

to siljaline
SO they want Norton to be even more bloated?
Zee5tH98
join:2005-09-08

Zee5tH98 to siljaline

to siljaline
I remember Safe Hex well from AOL CH days.Would preach to the members that had problems.Getting back to my original question my NIS subscription will be expiring soon and I would appreciate any suggestions for a suite or a separate AV and Firewall,Paid or Free. Thanks in advance.

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium Member
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC

siljaline

Premium Member

See our last AV Poll - this may help you choose.

»2014 AV Poll
siljaline

siljaline to chip89

Premium Member

to chip89
said by chip89:

SO they want Norton to be even more bloated?

You'd have to ask Symantec directly.

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

Triple Helix

Premium Member

Well you can get Webroot SecureAnywhere Complete with 25GB of online storage for $79.99US for 5 devices and with the link in my Signature you can get it for $35.99US for 5 devices. Symantec is getting way to expensive IMHO.

TH

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube to jaykaykay

to jaykaykay
> The first way is to be very careful about where you cross and to be watchful and aware of the dangers.

I don't buy it.
Well, careful & watchful & being aware are all fine.
But the analogy doesn't hold when you say "Be very careful where you surf" & "bad sites". Why should you be careful where you surf? And just what is a "bad site"? The only good site just hasn't been exploited - yet. So in that respect all are bad & should be treated that way.

> protect yourself with something like an army tank and cross anywhere, anytime

> Now no sensible person would adopt the latter approach

And why not? And why does it have to be a tank? Shouldn't something lighter, easier work too?

1. fails, per above

3. trusted.

Just what or who is "trusted"?
download.com? CNet? Really? Really? Try again, with those two in particular.

sourceforge?

And because something is hosted on sourceforge that makes it "OK"? Or "safe" or "secure" or "good"?

4. P2P

Why not?
Certainly legitimate programs are served that way.
And if you want warez, cracks or whatever, well yes you can get that too - plus anything else that may tag along with it. The vehicle, P2P, is not the issue.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere

Premium Member

said by therube:

"3. download only from trusted sources"

Just what or who is "trusted"?

download.com? CNet? Really?

sourceforge?

And because something is hosted on sourceforge that makes it "OK"? Or "safe" or "secure" or "good"?

I just finished removing THIS piece of scum scamware (it presents fake scan results screenshots) from someone's PC last night.

»www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr ··· izer+pro

I removed it manually, because several mainstream scanners did not even NOTICE it.

Almost all Google hits are about how to remove it, but look at what two so-called 'trusted download agent' sites have to say about it :

»pc-optimizer-pro.en.soft ··· nic.com/

»download.cnet.com/PC-Opt ··· 714.html

It surely demonstrates who gets fooled by some of this crap.
said by therube:

"4. avoid P2P"

Why ?

Certainly legitimate programs are served that way.

And if you want warez, cracks or whatever, well yes you can get that too - plus anything else that may tag along with it.

The vehicle, P2P, is not the issue.

Hey, I get my Linux distros by p2p, and as long as the hash matches what the author's site says it should be , I'm OK.

In fact the authors' sites often PROVIDE me with the torrent file.

zxcsz
@178.167.146.x

zxcsz to chip89

Anon

to chip89
No more bloat than before. One service, not one product and they are counting some products multiple times to make nine. The main difference in products from now is no product without a firewall (Norton AntiVirus)