uniqs

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

Looking for work

Would you this job for $48k a year? Even at the high end of $72k you're looking at the bottom end of someone who should be able to fill this role.

I'm looking for work in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area and this is one of the we want someone with two tons of talent and are willing to pay nothing job postings that are out there.

Anyone know of any Senior IT Generalist/Site Support type positions in the twin cities area? I've got over 15 years of experience. Here is a link to my LinkedIn profile. Any suggestions on improving the profile would also be appreciated.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

Ok, here are my thoughts on the matter.

First off you are right. That job is a little underpriced for what they want. Still, I can tell you that companies are willing to pay for talent. I have seen it where companies have been willing to bring in the right person for more money than the job was originally published. I can tell you that this has happened to me personally.

Here is my linkedin profile.

»www.linkedin.com/profile ··· =spm_pic

The best advice I can give you is to flesh out your experience a bit more. Is all you did at these jobs just what you mentioned? Go into more detail. Talk about your projects and experiences. Talk about your successes.

Another thing I have gotten positive feedback on is my personal story on my linkedin profile. Talk about what excites you and what you are passionate about. Talk about what skills you bring to the table. List out all the technical experiences you have.

Finally, get some recommendations. Do you have bosses or coworkers who will recommend you? Get a couple of them if you can.

---

As someone who does hiring in IT, I can tell you that there are four major areas that I look at when it comes to hiring.

1. Experience - #1 in my book. You have a lot of it so you should be talking about it and really presenting it in your linkedin profile and on your resume.

2. Education - Any college degrees? Any technical degrees?

3. Certifications - Have any certifications that you bring to the table?

4. Passion/excitement/non-technical traits - I really like people who are passionate about their work and care genuinely about what they do. Positivity is big for me as well. This is a new category that I just started measuring but I surround myself with people who are like this and it shows positively on me.

Keep in mind that there are many candidates coming through the door who have just as much experience as you do but have the education and the certs that you don't have. So you have to be able to show that you have the desire and passion.

I hope this helps you out a little bit.

The Dv8or
Just call me Dong Suck Oh, M.D.
Premium Member
join:2001-08-09
Denver, CO

The Dv8or to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy
Willing to move to Denver?

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

Well, I've got a six month contract coming up, pending background check and drug test (neither should be an issue), with possibility of extension. So, I'm covered until March or so. It is 11% better than my last contract and back to where I want to be financially. Hopefully it turns into a full time role, but it will give me opportunities to be involved in new things, so it is a great opportunity.
lorennerol
Premium Member
join:2003-10-29
Seattle, WA

lorennerol

Premium Member

Congrats! Job hunting can be stressful.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall to Kilroy

MVM

to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

Well, I've got a six month contract coming up, pending background check and drug test (neither should be an issue), with possibility of extension. So, I'm covered until March or so. It is 11% better than my last contract and back to where I want to be financially. Hopefully it turns into a full time role, but it will give me opportunities to be involved in new things, so it is a great opportunity.

Have you thought about shoring up the areas in which you are weakest in order to make yourself stronger in the job market? For instance, what about pursuing a certification or two? Maybe a MCSA?

This is part of the reason why I am studying up for my PMP right now. I want to have options in the job market and the only way to show that I am engaged is to educate myself and have something to go with it.

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

I was actually thinking about either ITIL or Project Management, not so much because I'm weak in them, but more so that I can have documentation of proficiency, at least at the HR level. This role will be a semi departure from what I have been doing so I will be picking up some new skills. Part of the problem is that when you're working you don't need them and when you're not working you are busy looking for work.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

Yea I hear you. The key is to be constantly learning. I learned this valuable lesson when I was laid off in 2006. Since then, I got my CCNA, Masters Degree, MCP, and now working towards my PMP. I am not going to be reactionary anymore.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One to Kilroy

Premium Member

to Kilroy
said by Kilroy:

I was actually thinking about either ITIL or Project Management...

ITIL Foundation is pretty easy, so of the two you could consider it the low-hanging fruit and tackle that first. It's half common sense and half memorizing their terminology and recommended structure.

Drex
Beer...The other white meat.
Premium Member
join:2000-02-24
Not There

2 recommendations

Drex to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

This is part of the reason why I am studying up for my PMP right now.

Yeah I'd like to be a PIMP too. I hear the hours can be a bitch but your get to...wait...OHHHH! Never mind.

Seriously, that's probably something I should go after given my current role. However given that VMware now makes you re-up your certification to keep it active, I really need to work on that (VCAP-DCD or VCAP-DCA).

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

Just about every certification wants you to renew or retake a test in order to stay active. The PMP has a renewal units program.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm

Premium Member

said by Nightfall:

Just about every certification wants you to renew or retake a test in order to stay active. The PMP has a renewal units program.

It gets REALLY expensive for the forensic certs.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by exocet_cm:

said by Nightfall:

It gets REALLY expensive for the forensic certs.

My wife is a pharmacist and has to do the same thing for her license and related certs. It does cost a lot.

Drex
Premium Member
Not There

Drex to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
I just wish I could get my company to pay for the training. It's a catch-22 with them. Part of your annual review includes improving your skills (certs, training, etc.) yet they won't pay for the training.

So how can I improve my skillset if they aren't willing to help? The training they do offer is outdated.

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

Yes, that is the problem. I had ITIL certification on my goals list for three years and every year we were told to wait because they were working on a group deal and by the time the group deal fell through training was frozen for the year.

This is a real problem, as long as you're working you don't need the certifications as your company doesn't care if you're certified as long as you can do the work. A lot of use are very good with what we do, we just don't have the formal certification to prove it. Better yet we can't pass the certification as we have used the products in the real world and have to learn the exam answers.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

I guess I am lucky then.

Every company I have worked for has a reimbursement program. I didn't pay much at all for my masters degree. Just about all of that was paid for by the companies I have worked at. I even get reimbursed for materials and testing fees for certifications I want to pursue.

I know there are companies out there that "don't care" but I am surprised that you both work for those kind of companies right now. Almost everyone I know that works in IT has AT LEAST GOT opportunities to get reimbursement for training or education if not company paid for training.

I know if I worked for a company that didn't have a training reimbursement or company paid training option that I would be looking elsewhere for work.

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

It wasn't that they didn't have it. I started my college classes and only paid for my books. I'm waiting to get back to a company with education reimbursement to continue.

I was going to get my Windows 7 certification, but started studying and found it had absolutely nothing to do with how it was being used in my environment. A lot of the certification is how to set it up from scratch the "Microsoft Way". The "Microsoft Way" refuses to acknowledge that you have to interface with non-Microsoft products. So, in the real world you do A and for the exam you must know B. To further complicate things Windows has three or more ways to do almost everything. What is the correct answer for the exam?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Kilroy:

So, in the real world you do A and for the exam you must know B. To further complicate things Windows has three or more ways to do almost everything. What is the correct answer for the exam?

That's one reason I've never taken much interest in Microsoft certs.
IIRC one of them has a question like what are the minimum requirements for windows server.

When in the real world are you going to need that, after all if it only meets the minimum then its not going to run your program.

and hundreds of other little things that you'll have to know only for the exam and it'll want you to do it the nice new way that Microsoft just added tot eh new version (IE server manager vs DCpromo for making a DC)

even worse some questions are worded oddly and only make sense if you have the book in front of you.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

I know if I worked for a company that didn't have a training reimbursement or company paid training option that I would be looking elsewhere for work.

You know what's bad?

My former employer had a reimbursement policy that seemed very nice and was worded such to benefit people that had been there a few years, well here's the bad part, when I asked to actually make use of it they said oh we have that well before we do anything on that lets rework it but go ahead and enroll we'll sort it later.

Then later came and it was nerfed bad to the point of instead of being a benefit it was just a policy to pay for training and would only cover training that was directly related to the job (IE pre-cal, English comp, and Science classes would be considered not covered.) and you know what the first class I did was? Pre-cal (and got a 4.0 too)

in the end due to the re-write of the policy I got put on the hook for a few thousand that I didn't have.

Its like oh ya we have a great reimbursement policy just don't dare use it or we'll realize that it wasn't what we wanted to offer.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

Yea, that is bad.

These days, the ones that only do reimbursement will have a manager approve the plan and HR sign off on it. That way, you won't be on the hook for costs. Apparently, there have been people screwed over like yourself because of a policy rewrite or the company changed their minds and then they got sued when they wouldn't cover educational costs. Not that it has happened to me or someone I know, but I heard stories.
said by Kilroy:

So, in the real world you do A and for the exam you must know B. To further complicate things Windows has three or more ways to do almost everything. What is the correct answer for the exam?

Yea, I hear you on this. The PMP is a lot like this, where there is more than one way to do things. Same thing for the refereeing seminar test I had to take today as part of my USA Hockey Officials training that I do yearly. Some of those questions they asked have multiple answers.

The certifications really should be taken with a grain of salt. I view them as a supplement to experience, not a replacement. When you said that you were looking for a new job and direction, I thought it best to recommend to grow where you were weakest. Certifications would be your best short term boost.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Nightfall:

Yea, that is bad.

These days, the ones that only do reimbursement will have a manager approve the plan and HR sign off on it.

Well the Finance manager had said go ahead and enroll it'll be fine.

I should have printed the old policy and had it signed.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

Wily_One

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

Rule #1 of the Corporate World: always get it in writing.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

said by Wily_One:

said by DarkLogix:

Ya will do in the future

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy to Wily_One

MVM

to Wily_One
said by Nightfall:

Certifications would be your best short term boost.

The problem is then you have the certification, but no experience, the endless loop. The reality is you need to find a hiring manager who can get past the paper work and focus on the fact that you can be trained to do things the way they want them done.
said by Wily_One:

If nothing else, that is one thing the military teaches you.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

said by Kilroy:

The problem is then you have the certification, but no experience, the endless loop. The reality is you need to find a hiring manager who can get past the paper work and focus on the fact that you can be trained to do things the way they want them done.

Correct, but when you have experience like yourself, the certs will make a bigger difference.

As for those having no experience and looking to break into the IT world, there are plenty of intro level jobs out there if you don't have a degree. You do have to start on the bottom rung, and you do have to work your ass off in order to grow.

Drex
Premium Member
Not There

Drex to Nightfall

Premium Member

to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

Every company I have worked for has a reimbursement program.

The company I work for has a reimbursement program. However, the contract I'm on is but a pimple on a gnat's ass compared to other contracts the company has. Bottom line, little to no overhead and that's where our training funds come from. Hell, I asked to take a training class that's free for the company. All they have to do is cover my salary for 2 days. Still waiting to hear back from them.

As for a Master's degree, it would be nice and my company does offer Continuing Education Assistance, but has to be at an accredited college (no training classes or cert exams). There are some 18 month Master Degree programs but they run in the $40K-$50K range which is WAY more than what my company will reimburse me for in a given year and there's no guarantee I'll make more money after getting my Master's. However I'm sure it would make me more marketable.

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

Just the fact that they will "reimburse you" but not for the whole cost is just crazy to me. I have never heard of a faulty policy like that. As I said before, I never paid for my classes or books while getting my masters. It was all company paid for.

I have a feeling your HR department didn't think about the policy very well.

Drex
Premium Member
Not There

Drex

Premium Member

What's funny is EVERY company I've worked for has had a similar policy. In fact most of them required you to pay them back if you decided to leave or were let go. With the company I work for now, they will still reimburse you if you leave or are let go.

I inquired with one company I worked for about their tuition reimbursement policy. I asked if I would be responsible for reimbursing the company if they lost the contract I was on due to a recompete. I was told yes, I would have to refund 100% (not even pro-rated) if I left the company before the mandatory reimbursement time was up. In other words I had to stay with the company for X years/months and if I left before then, I'd have to pay the full amount back. I can understand that policy because you don't want to invest in someone only to have them leave. What I didn't understand was that if they lost the contract I was still required to pay it back. It's not my fault!

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
MVM
Grand Rapids, MI

Nightfall

MVM

Every company has a period of time you have to stay to not have to pay the company back. I changed jobs after taking classes part time for 2 years for my masters. My current job paid me the full amount to pay my old company so I could leave. They then gave me tuition reimbursement to complete my masters.

Most companies have a 2 year policy. After 1 year, the amount drops by 50%.

Drex
Premium Member
Not There

Drex

Premium Member

said by Nightfall:

Most companies have a 2 year policy. After 1 year, the amount drops by 50%.

Yes, some of the companies I worked for had such a policy.
I didn't agree with the one company who told me if they lost the contract then I'd be responsible for reimbursing them. I can understand if I willing left the company. If they are forced to let me go, that's another story IMHO.

In any case it's not financially feasible for me to utilize the tuition reimbursement policy of my current company...mainly because I'd still be on the hook for $25K+...unless I stretch it out into 5 years. LOL!