uniqs
share rss forum feed

TurbSeap

join:2014-08-19
Boise, ID
reply to halfzero2

Re: Centurylink 1gbps rollout

Just an update to this:

On with Chat about CenturyLink 1Gig service in Boise Idaho, now available.

$122 per month, no caps, no contract.
$60 installation is required as is a modem that's one of these: Actiontec Q2000, Actiontec V2000H, Technicolor C2000T ($7/month or buy your own for $100)

Total non-starter for me at that pricing (no promotions - I asked), but thought I'd share.

xthepeoplesx

join:2013-10-21
Really? Its available right now? I also didnt know that VDSL could go that fast?

bctrainers

join:2004-08-03
Olathe, KS
reply to TurbSeap
Ehh, both actiontecs are the vdsl standard. The technicolor c2000t if I recall is the fiber based box.

TurbSeap

Boise, ID
Literally just reposting, verbatim, what my chat transcript has from the CL online chat.

TurbSeap

Boise, ID
reply to bctrainers
Removed

xthepeoplesx

Even with pair bonding, I cant see 1gigabit...

TurbSeap

Boise, ID
Well, I know nothing about any of it. Simply sharing what I learned from the chat.

xthepeoplesx

Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I appreciate it turbo, but I would hate to see you sign up for something and then not get anything close to it or better yet buy a house and realize its not what you wanted. I would verify verify verify, call them, have them come out and inspect. I would not take the word of the online chat for it.

TurbSeap

Boise, ID
I hear ya - I'm totally not interested in any CL service anyhow - Just was exploring and sharing what I learned.

xthepeoplesx

Reviews:
·CenturyLink
I bought my house a few years ago and I called Insight(now TWC) about service and they said they provided their fastest internet in our area. Come to find out they didnt provide anything at all and owned the area so no one else could come in. And thats how I got stuck with CenturyLink. I love the house, but will never buy a house in their territory again.

coryw

join:2013-12-22
Flagstaff, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to TurbSeap
That's an odd list of modems.

My guess is that it's the ActionTec C2000a, the Technicolor C2000t and the ZyXEL FR1000z and what they're doing is simply using the Ethernet ports on them, and they're essentially routing. In particular, the C2000 a and t are the prismTV devices, and the ZyXEL FR1000z is common in fiber deployments where CL doesn't have a TV a TV agreement, because why bother with the cost of a DSL modem that'll never get used. To that end, the ZyXEL FR1000z is literally just a consumer router with the CenturyLink logo and the Qwest/CL graphical interface.

If you had a router that supported VLANs, you could put it on VLAN 201 and use your own hardware, if I remember correctly. (I'm likely forgetting a step, but you get the idea -- it's a lot like FiOS in that I believe what they do is authenticate your ONT.) The FR1000z probably supports transparent bridging, but you'd be wasting electricity, since there aren't really, to my knowledge, any valuable or interesting stats to view. It's the kind of thing you either decline outright, or put away in the box in case you need to call support or need to test something.

On the DSL side of things, the Q2000, C2000(a and t) and V2000H (which is mainly used in Canada, on Telus...) are all pair-bonding devices, with profile 17 or 30 you could hypothetically get about 200 megabits, but if they're offering a gig, it's certainly fiber.

brad152

join:2006-07-27
Phoenix, AZ
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to bctrainers
said by bctrainers:

Ehh, both actiontecs are the vdsl standard. The technicolor c2000t if I recall is the fiber based box.

The c2000t is also VDSL2 as well, but all of the aforementioned boxes have a WAN ethernet port as well, so they can be used as a regular router.

CenturyLink runs a fiber to ethernet bridge, then plugs the gateway into that to handle the PPoE login and provide the gigabit service that way.

greatshow09

join:2013-07-07
Minneapolis, MN
reply to xthepeoplesx
Because they run their VDSL2 off of fiber, they'll prob just get new modems and run the infrastructure with FTTH instead of VDSL2