uniqs
share rss forum feed

kcrupp

join:2002-02-11
Allen Park, MI
Reviews:
·WOW Internet and..

AMD Launches Radeon R7 SSD Line

"AMD is launching a new family of products today, but unless you follow the rumor mill pretty closely, it’s probably not something you’d expect. It’s not a new CPU or APU. And it’s not a new GPU or memory kit either. Well then, “what could it be” you ask? Today, AMD is launching its first line of solid state drives (SSDs), targeted squarely at AMD enthusiasts."

»hothardware.com/Reviews/AMD-Rade···#!bGboLX

Tirael
BOHICA
Premium
join:2009-03-18
Sacramento, CA
kudos:2

Here is the current pricing on Newegg. $290 for a 480 GB SSD is pretty damned sexy.
--
“Reality doesn't bite, rather our perception of reality bites.” - Anthony J. D'Angelo
»www.chaoticconfused.com

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

While the drive does look nice, the Samsung Evo drives are cheaper and from the reviews, look to perform a bit better than these drives. I have many of these Samsung Evo drives in our field/sales laptops and none of them have had issues. Unlike the Crucial M4 drives we have in some of these same laptops.

The good news is that AMD is launching a product line that is going to compete in the SSD market and the performance is solid. At the same time though, if you are going to compare them side by side, Samsung has a slight edge in price and performance. Plus, their reviews on their product is very high.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5

Exactly. Unless they come in cheaper than the Samsung EVOs, I see no reason to purchase one of these AMD drives. Unless you're just looking to have the name inside your rig.

My 500gb EVO was 249.99. I've seen it as cheap as $239.99 too.

The 1tb drives are even cheaper (price to storage size)

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
reply to kcrupp

It's rebranded OCZ though.................................................................

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
reply to Tirael

Not as sexy as the Evos or M500s.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

It's rebranded OCZ though.................................................................

So it'll be about as reliable as their drivers.

Still, gotta start somewhere, I guess...
--
Because, f*ck Sony

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

I thought OCZ went out of business a while back?
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Mentat
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Sugar Land, TX
reply to kcrupp

Nice warranty and competitive pricing. I'll buy one or two just because I want to have sex with AMD.
--
Be kind to animals.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
reply to Mike

Who likely get their memory chips from Samsung anyway. So may as well get a Samsung.
--
Filan - Aurin Spellslinger - Pago - Team Legacy