Search similar:

uniqs
BiGxChucK
join:2014-08-19
League City, TX

BiGxChucK

Channel Bonding Upload Side

New guy here,
Ive done a few searches but everything was a couple of years old. I recently moved to Tyler, Texas from Monroe, LA and we had Comcast high speed interwebz. I've had the 15/3, 25/5, 50/10 and the 105/20 tiers of interwebz from Comcast all with 8 downstream channels and 2 upstream channels.

I have the 50/3 tier with Suddenlink now up from the 30/3 since my boys aren't in school and they play PC and Xbox.

My question is, why does SL only have 1 upstream channel bonded instead of 2? Could this allow slower upload speeds to gaming servers or host gaming connections like in CoD? I've never looked into the science behind the channel bonding aspect of the modems and the interwebz from ISPs.

Thanks,
BiGxChuck

journeysquid
join:2014-08-01

journeysquid

We have 8 channels down, 2 up. They probably just haven't upgraded your area yet.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle to BiGxChucK

Premium Member

to BiGxChucK
Channel bonding is directly relatable to lanes on a highway. It's basically allowing more paths for the same speed and bandwidth to go over without jamming up.

As to WHY sl has only 1 upload in most markets, probably because they haven't upgraded the majority of their footprint. Also, for almost all their speeds, they only need 1 upload channel.
BiGxChucK
join:2014-08-19
League City, TX

BiGxChucK

Thank you for the explanation. So basically they have to upgrade the infrastructure to allow for more upstream bonded channels. If in 2014 the only allow one upstream channel how can they by 2017 be able to provide the gig speed without major bottle necks and problems

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

Yes, they need to upgrade their hardware. The lines are technically fine, but the head end and all the customer modems need to support channel bonding.

The leading theory is Doc3.1, but that's the problem. SL has offered no details other than saying we'll all have it. Also, there's an extremely high chance of it being 1 gig down only. Expect something closer to 50-100 megs upload speed. Only way to get symmetrical gig to 90% by 2017 would be to start laying fiber everywhere now, but we all can see that's not happening.
lcornejo
join:2014-03-20
Turris Omnia
ARRIS NVG589

lcornejo to BiGxChucK

to BiGxChucK
In reality with gaming, you bandwidth needs are quite tiny. I've done analysis and for xbox live its usually around 60-70Kbps that is all. Some will need more some less. But if you upload is in the megabits then you should have plenty of room. What matters most is latency. Now that being said, you can introduce latency by totally pegging your upload on your modem. If that is happening, then I would recommend a QOS router (or upgrade your router to something like dd-wrt if possible) and run with the fq_codel Queueing Discipline and that should give you your best possible scenario from your end.

If your whole neighborhood node is under-provisioned, you still will experience latency issues. In that case, you can try to get a hold of one of the SL tech here in this forum to try to help you out.

Lastly of course is that somewhere in the path to the gaming servers there is a slow down. But there is nothing you can do about that except informing your ISP about it.

This is assuming there is nothing wrong with the physical layer of your network or the signal coming from the CMTS.