share rss forum feed

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

[Anime] Crunchyroll Roku update fail

Anyone else here thinking of canceling their Crunchyroll sub after this terrabad update?

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC

Why would you cancel for that? Their library is huge, they have functional PS3/4/360/one apps, as well as just streaming from the web. They'll fix it eventually.

I use my Roku (when I actually use my Roku that is) to stream Funimation content. The fact they want you to PAY for the full app of theirs is more annoying that CR's update not working right. I'm a paid member of Funimation, so I don't think I should pay AGAIN for the full feature app. I use my PS3/PC to stream CR content.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

I pay for Funimation and Crunchyroll
and anything on CR I can get other ways, some of it is just to switch to Funimation.

pay for the full app? since when?

the Xbox360 app isn't great but its worse than the old roku app but better than the new one.

and even though I'm a premium member I'm now getting ads when I use my Nexus 7 to chromecast a show from crunchyroll.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to DarkLogix

I wouldn't drop then for that, they are rather full feature in the devices they support. It is one of the few pay content streaming sources I participate in. I even think I would pay for all access , currently I am on a discounted rate.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Well as it is I've had them cancel the auto-renew so if they don't fix it I'll just go to free
--
semper idem

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to DarkLogix

I don't have a Roku and don't plan to get one.

So...nope! Meh, if I want to watch CR on my big TV bad enough, it's no biggie to hook up HDMI from my laptop to TV. Then, I could enjoy upscaled 720p. (kinda doubt the lappie could handle 1080p flash, and since CR's HD is just upscaled SD anyway why bother...)

Might need to get me a decent wireless mouse though.
--
Oh, Opera, what have you done?

captokita
Premium
join:2005-02-22
Calabash, NC
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

pay for the full app? since when?

I don't know if Roku is the same or not, but on my phone, and my Kindle Fire HD, when you look up Funimation in the play store, you get two versions, the "FREE" version, which has ads at the bottom, and a $9.99 paid version, which I assume has no ads in it. Now, why should an elite subscriber also have to PAY for an ad free app? They shouldn't. Fortunately, I've not had an issue playing anything through the free app, but I also refuse to pay for it either. I'll just stream it on my PC to my tv if need be.

It's not that I don't understand your frustration over the whole thing, because I know how you feel, but to cancel CR because an app doesn't work right when there are other options that DO work doesn't help you any.

Now, as an OT but similar - look at the WWE Network, I've been a subscriber since launch, and every PPV has had streaming issues, on my PS3, PC, Roku, or Kindle, they all do the same thing, so they can't blame it on a device, it has to be their network, and I'm not alone in the problems either. Summerslam was this past Sunday, and their FB page was lit up with people complaining like me. Cancelling THAT sub is very likely at this point, because I have no option to remedy the problem, and I don't like paying for something I can't properly enjoy.

Basically, it could be worse.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Well on the roku funimation app you log in and if elite you get no ads
well the Xbox360 app is ok but not as good as the old CR roku app but the new CR roku app is worse than the XB one.

and if I use my android with my chromecast I get ads but if I don't use the chromecast then no ads.

so XB and android are currently off the table for options
and the roku used to have a fine app but now its unusable.

mackey
Premium
join:2007-08-20
kudos:12
reply to captokita

said by captokita:

It's not that I don't understand your frustration over the whole thing, because I know how you feel, but to cancel CR because an app doesn't work right when there are other options that DO work doesn't help you any.

I disagree. If said app is your primary/sole method of accessing the content, then it sure as heck is grounds for cancelling! I do not own a gaming system. I refuse to let Flash anywhere near my system. The Roku app is my sole method of accessing Crunchyroll. If this update is as bad as it sounds you can count me gone.

/M

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Theres a 20 page thread on the CR forums, it starts on page one announcing the new app, and that in up to 5 days all rokus will have it (post is from last week) then about 2-3 pages of people saying they're are glad for HD then about 17 pages of people after getting the update saying its total rubbish.

its not intuitive, it makes it hard to re-watch an episode, and it makes it harder to do anything.

for the not intuitive part, you press play to get the menu and without that tip all you can see is your queue (IE latest ep of all your favorites, and can't tell it to start the ep from the start and if you'd fully watched the ep it pushes you to the next which might not be available for a week) and you can see your history (didn't count to see how far back it goes.)

seems the UI is based off the very little used PS4 app and not done in any reasonable way.

see this thread here.
»www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-8···u-update

somewhere around page 2-3 people actually start getting the app and then the ****storm of cursing it and demanding a rollback start.

BTW I already told support to turn off auto renewal and if its fixed I might re-sub.
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to captokita

said by captokita:

when you look up Funimation in the play store, you get two version

Well I just looked and I don't think those are legit Funimation apps.

Notice they're by Phuniware not by Funimation so in that case it makes sense.

The legit Funimation apps don't have banner ads, and last I looked if you don't pay you still don't get ads just get a far more limited selection.
--
semper idem

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX
reply to mackey

Do Roku apps update without user intervention, or can the user simply just not update?
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

IIRC the next time you start up the app, it updates automatically.

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX

Well, that sucks.

mackey
Premium
reply to DarkLogix

One week later and still no word on a rollback or any fixes. The one CR rep on the forum is "working" to have a "Project Manager" "comment" on the subject "tomorrow" because there has been a request for someone higher up then him.

Sigh. I know CR is no longer a scrappy little company for fans by fans and hasn't been for some time now, but this corporate bureaucracy is beyond pathetic. I remember the days when Shinji himself would actually interact with users. Is he even with CR still? It seems they are now on the same level as most other faceless mega corporations; shareholders 1st, execs 2nd, other employees 3rd, and users can go f* themselves. I'm betting we'll just get a middle manager post some 1-liner bullshit saying how they "value" us and are "listening" to our feedback and then promptly disappear without fixing anything. Whatever.

/M

anonomeX

@71.207.157.x
reply to DarkLogix

The new UI does indeed suck. No more ratings in browse mode and no tracking/resume for watched episodes. Together, the loss of these two "features" makes it unusable for me. They may fix it at some point--hope so, but until then I won't be using it much (and I was using it a lot).

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to mackey

one did

quote:
Hi there,

(I posted this in Site News »www.crunchyroll.com/forumtopic-8···47567457, also wanted to share here)

I am the product manager for Crunchyroll app on Roku. I have read through all the comments and greatly appreciate the constructive feedback that this forum has provided.

First of all, I do want to reiterate that we care about our users and our aim is to provide a great user experience for you. With the recent app update, we wanted to provide better video streaming experience and standardize high quality experience for our users across all platforms.

With any major app redesign, we did anticipate lots of feedback from our passionate users and we value your opinions. Although we do not intend to roll back to the old app, we will continuously make updates to the current Roku app to improve the user experience. As a first step, we are already working on resolving the following issues:

- Improve the queue experience
- Ability to auto-play episodes
- Correct the number of ads that are played
- Continue to support as many devices as we can, including older devices

We expect to release an updated app in the next few weeks.

After those issues are addressed, we will continue working on improving the experience. Again, we appreciate feedback provided thus far and we welcome more feedback as we continue to improve the Crunchyroll experience.

Best,
Yanting
IE marketing double speak.
--
semper idem

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
Irving, TX

Project Managers are... not really good sources of information. They do tend to layer on the bullshit. But, being in a role myself where I deal with such people regularly, I think I can read between the lines here.

* They do consider these as bugs
* They possibly even consider them as "blocking" level bugs--that is, must-fix above all else
* The fixes may be delivered piecemeal.
* However they do not have an ETA for the fixes.
* And most importantly, they are flat out unable to roll back the update.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

said by sivran:

* And most importantly, they are flat out unwilling to roll back the update.

FTFY
--
semper idem

Primer

@71.80.224.x
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

Anyone else here thinking of canceling their Crunchyroll sub after this terrabad update?

Yes, I was very disappointed by the "update". I have already cancelled my year sub. I don't want to pay to be apart of their alpha testing. The original roku app worked so well and was just intuitive. The current one requires a set of instructions to operate on what is still working. Buttons are wrong (you have to press ">||" to open the main menu). No genre browsing, unless you are searching, but why would you need to search by genre? It is just stupid and pretty funny if it wasn't so sad.

mackey
Premium

1 edit
reply to sivran

said by sivran:

* They do consider these as bugs
* They possibly even consider them as "blocking" level bugs--that is, must-fix above all else

LOL!

That was a joke, right? They are so concerned about fixing these "bugs" that last week they said the fixes were coming "within a week" but now they're several weeks away. Right. Translation: Now that the alpha version is out and our paying testers have told us about some of the problems we didn't even care about checking, we should have a beta out.... sometime....

said by sivran:

* And most importantly, they are flat out unable to roll back the update.

Translation: if we rolled back we would be admitting we screwed up, and that must be avoided at all costs. Damn the torpedoes full speed ahead!

said by sivran:

* The fixes may be delivered piecemeal.

I think one poster over on CR said it well. They're going to "fix" just enough to take the edge off but ultimately leave it majorly crippled compared to the old app and hope that's enough to let it blow over.

/M

mackey
Premium
reply to DarkLogix

Wow. Just.... wow. I was half joking when I posted that, part of me didn't think that's what they would actually do. I am truly disappointed in CR. I was on the fence about canceling my membership, but that post just made my decision. Canceled.

/M

mackey
Premium
reply to DarkLogix

Oh, and why are some people calling this the "2.0" update? The 2.0 update was when they moved to the black, Netflix-like UI.

/M

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Anyone know which writer at arstechnica to contact to get the media firestorm goin?

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to DarkLogix

I didn't know about this - just added free to my roku3, not bad.
watched "Log Horizon" for a bit. is there anywhere you can get
reviews/ratings of series so I know what may be worth watching?

who knew D3 had a TV commercial

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Well on the crunchyroll website you can read comments.

mackey
Premium

1 edit
reply to DarkLogix

Well, the middle manager who make a corporate-speak non-post has been replaced with a PR drone spin-master. At least this one can pass a Turing test.

We pushed this out knowing that there were a few problems, but this app has been SO delayed (since last July) that we decided it was more important to ship it out to launch because we can always update it later on

So, they knew damn well this new app was broken, but they decided to launch it anyway because, well, it's been stuck in limbo for over a year so they just had to force it through, brokenness be damned. Who cares about the users?

Ask the community about potential changes? "it is our job and responsibility to look over our products. You are here to enjoy them." Ok, so they admit they don't give a shit what their users think. Next.

Of the 49 page announcement thread, 48 pages are people bitching about how shitty the new app is and there's 1 page worth of posts spread throughout of people saying "well, I like that it's in HD now." What does management get out of that? "... the majority of the feedback we have received has been quite positive." Right.

"Design" - We want a streamlined identity. The design is based on the current playstation application that has had the design user-tested with lots of positive feedback, which is another reason we decided to go with it. We eventually want all of our applications to look the same when they can.

Ok, so they released a steaming pile of shit for the PS3, then they cleaned it up a bit, and because the PS3 users said the new not-as-steaming pile of shit is much better then the old one they just had to force that UI on every platform - even if they had to force it to fit and use bass ackwards controls because the controllers on the different platforms are totally different.

Old Roku app: pick up the remote and start using it (it's intuitive).

New updated app: Read 1600 word help document, watch instructional video on Youtube, then try to suppress muscle memory as this app works the complete opposite of every other Roku app out there.

Yeah. After almost 2 weeks of silence THIS is what we get?! You can't make this stuff up.

/M

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Ya I'm gone

Hello old friend (aka torrents) how have you been sorry I neglected you in my desire to support the anime creators but you were good to me you didn't try to cram a bad UI on me. So welcome back torrents I now miss you. After all crunchyroll tried to push me into a big steaming pile (you know like the one on Jurassic park?) and then asked me how it felt then went on to talk about how good it was and I should be happy for it.
--
semper idem

mackey
Premium

said by DarkLogix:

Hello old friend (aka torrents) how have you been sorry I neglected you

Actually, XDCC > torrents, esp. the bots which auto-send. Without me having to do anything, new episodes are sitting on my HDD waiting for me within minutes of them being released. Plus they're much easier on the bandwidth.

/M

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by mackey:

much easier on the bandwidth.

I have no usage cap and 100/20 so I'm cool on the faster downloads

plus I'm planning to call soon to upgrade from my SMC to a DPC3939B
--