bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

2 edits

bbbc

TSI spam: Doubt most folks want cross-promotion for Expendables

Click for full size
TSI Spam
Wow, past contests have been cool from TSI, but I don't want to do social media shit and I definitely don't want spam about a movie produced by a roided up old fart, Sly that is. Do I even need to say anything about Pizza Pizza, »www.yelp.ca/topic/toront ··· horrible . Maybe I'm a fuddy-duddy, but this kind of email isn't desired.

On a side note, Lions Gate and eOne will probably be the first ones to sue TekSavvy for their subscribers' IP info if anyone should download the already leaked classic. Lions Gate's been busy, »torrentfreak.com/major-t ··· -140819/ .
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

+1

Opted IN
@70.24.80.x

1 recommendation

Opted IN to bbbc

Anon

to bbbc
Spam usually means unsolicited commercial email or large quantities something. Since you opted in to receive the promotional emails and they are few and far between I don't think the term applies.

The more variety of promotions they offer the greater the chance some don't appeal to various groups of users. The lower the variety the more people get bored and complain about the lack of variety. There is no sweet spot between these two - they overlap.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

1 edit

bbbc

said by Opted IN :

Since you opted in to receive the promotional emails and they are few and far between I don't think the term applies.

Opted in, I don't remember doing so because I hate this kind of crap. For arguement's sake let's say I did. If I did, do I now need to be paranoid that I'll see more shit from third-parties?

The more variety of promotions they offer the greater the chance some don't appeal to various groups of users. The lower the variety the more people get bored and complain about the lack of variety. There is no sweet spot between these two - they overlap.

So you're stating that the TekSavvy masses are clamoring for this crap and social media gimmicks? Give me a break. Do you not find it ironic that the cross-promotion is with media entities that go after infringers with full force? Politics Internet makes strange bedfellows. What does TSI get out of this really.

It would be a nice touch if you signed in instead of posting anonymously.

digiwth
join:2012-09-21

digiwth to bbbc

to bbbc
Looks like they're using a mailing list from a previous contest, I got this on the email I used for a contest (I want to say one of their "free internet" ones), but not the email used for billing.

MFido
Montreal
join:2012-10-19

MFido to bbbc

to bbbc
don't like it ... just delete the email ... not a biggie ...

or unsubscribe from all Teksavvy's emails
FTP
join:2012-10-31
Chatham, ON

2 recommendations

FTP to bbbc

to bbbc
The college in Windsor has good Pizza Pizza, pizza. I wouldn't mind having their free Pizza.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc to MFido

to MFido
said by MFido:

don't like it ... just delete the email ... not a biggie ...

or unsubscribe from all Teksavvy's emails

Yeah, I did that already.

Just beyond creepy seeing TSI in bed with Lions Gate and eOne, especially after the recent file sharing litigation. I'd rather see TekSavvy partner with Trojan condoms, at least we'd know that we were being effed safely. Or better yet, maybe some law firms that come to the defense of accused file sharers. I'm sure these kinds of companies would be more than happy to pony up some prizes.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

2 recommendations

MaynardKrebs to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
What's next?

Will my TSI e-mail address - only used to receive invoices & payment confirmations - be sold to TSI 'partners'?

The day that happens, I'm an ex-TSI customer.
JMJimmy
join:2008-07-23

JMJimmy to bbbc

to bbbc
TSI doesn't sell your info - otherwise they would have just sold it to Voltage.

Those emails are opt in only and they make it fairly obvious when you're signing up for a contest, or something like it, that you're subscribing to these emails. They aren't great at keeping their email lists in order but the frequency they send things out very low so it's a little over the top to be crying foul - especially when they're just giving something away.

Not that I'd want pizza pizza for a year lol

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc

said by JMJimmy :

Those emails are opt in only and they make it fairly obvious when you're signing up for a contest, or something like it, that you're subscribing to these emails.

The problem is that I don't remember TSI partnering with any sweet third-parties (that like to extort / sue end-users) like this ever before. Perhaps I'm wrong. I'm sure it's in the opt-in legalese, but TekSavvy has never been the anal type stating, "It's in the ToS you agreed to."

They aren't great at keeping their email lists in order but the frequency they send things out very low so it's a little over the top to be crying foul - especially when they're just giving something away.

Is TSI giving something away or are the media companies paying for this? I think the intentions were good, but I think the new norm of social media at TekSavvy didn't think this through properly. Yeah, let's cozy up to the DMCA trigger happy camp. I'm crying foul because the external players give me the heebie-jeebies.

I've made my point and will let it rest.

Not that I'd want pizza pizza for a year lol

You can have that shit my portion.
simsin0
join:2008-01-06

1 edit

simsin0

Listen, I agree it might not be everyones cup of tea.

But to go as far as calling it spam is a little crazy.

Like many have mentionned they send so little emails that it doesnt bother me.... just delete and wait a month, rinse and repeat.

Not much of a big deal (at least to most ppl..)

open11
@198.144.157.x

open11

Anon

If these ads makes teksavvy money then Im ok with it. So long as it translates to lower prices for internet that is.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
It seems that Massimo's pizza is completely gone now. A fire took out the main College location:
»www.blogto.com/eat_drink ··· n_queen/

It was reimagined as Vinny Massimo's for a few years, but it was hidden behind some trees and hard to find:
»www.toronto.com/restaura ··· a-pasta/

Apparently there was a Queen street location, but I went searching for it a few months ago and it seemed to be closed too.

So.. Pizza Pizza is just about state of the art for this city nowadays

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to bbbc

MVM

to bbbc
Pizza Pizza is where I get all my pizza... The pizza is good, it arrives quick, the price is decent, what more could I want? I used to get Dominos before the Pizza Pizza opened, then I switched.

I think that I've only ever had the pizza arrive late (defining that as "took a while and was not hot" rather than after the "or its free" deadline) once over the years.

A chance to win free pizza? Sure, why not.

Anon Name
@76.10.153.x

Anon Name

Anon

said by Guspaz:

Pizza Pizza is where I get all my pizza... The pizza is good, it arrives quick, the price is decent, what more could I want? I used to get Dominos before the Pizza Pizza opened, then I switched.

I think that kind of résumé handily disqualifies you from ever discussing pizza in a public forum again.

To the point: this kind of junk promotion - the likes of which I can't recall TSI ever doing before - is really beneath the company, and does not reflect well upon it. The email was so bizarre I had to come here to verify it was genuine.

I don't mind receiving email about TSi promotions - but this is NOT a TSI promotion, and it's a couple orders of magnitude below the usual, besides. Caused me to unsub any future mailings. Clearly I'm not alone in that feeling.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

Cloneman

get dowwwwwwwwwwn

to the unsubscribe button :^)

RizzleQ
Cunningham's Law Enthusiast
Premium Member
join:2006-01-12
Windsor, ON
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti U6-LR

RizzleQ to FTP

Premium Member

to FTP
said by FTP:

The college in Windsor has good Pizza Pizza, pizza. I wouldn't mind having their free Pizza.

None of Pizza Pizza's pizza that I've had in Windsor has been bad at all. Neither their St. Clair College or 5400 Tecumseh Rd locations have given me uncut or stale pizza. On the contrary, they have burnt a few pizzas a little bit (still tasted okay because I luckily don't mind some food being a tiny bit burnt) and they have completed making their pizza too late a couple times, but of course I got my entire order for free with no hassle or poor customer service at all in those instances.

I've got no issues with this email or promotion even though I couldn't care less about Expendables 3.

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to bbbc

to bbbc
This is worth a raise of an eyebrow at most. Not running around in a panic that the sky is falling.

bbbc has an interesting point with the company(ies) behind expendables potentially seeking to sue infringers.. but even that point - is Teksavvy supposed to change their logo to a pirate skull and Andre start wearing an eyepatch with his dress?

Official "spam" from legitimate companies is extremely easy to put a stop to these days. Wiener pills not so much.

bbbc
NorthAmerica

1 edit

bbbc

said by oceros :

This is worth a raise of an eyebrow at most. Not running around in a panic that the sky is falling.

but even that point - is Teksavvy supposed to change their logo to a pirate skull and Andre start wearing an eyepatch with his dress?

Okay, so you mention that this shouldn't be a panic situation, aka an extreme. Now you mention Andre getting a tattoo on his bicep and/or booty with The Pirate Bay logo. Isn't that an extreme too? The point being, why get in bed and do the deed with someone who may have a litigious streak.

I read a recent article that said these leaks are coming from inside Hollywood by disgruntled peons.

Court ruling on Expendables Trois:
»torrentfreak.com/lionsga ··· -140809/

The MPAA's buddies:
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tr ··· aintiffs

Maybe the TekSavvy social media folks thought there were dealing with this Lions Gate

Dial_a_Tech
join:2013-01-22
Windsor, ON

Dial_a_Tech to bbbc

to bbbc
So this thread is really happening....love it

Pir8pete
join:2003-09-05
Ottawa

2 edits

Pir8pete to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

Wow, past contests have been cool from TSI, but I don't want to do social media shit and I definitely don't want spam about a movie produced by a roided up old fart, Sly that is. Do I even need to say anything about Pizza Pizza, »www.yelp.ca/topic/toront ··· horrible . Maybe I'm a fuddy-duddy, but this kind of email isn't desired.

On a side note, Lions Gate and eOne will probably be the first ones to sue TekSavvy for their subscribers' IP info if anyone should download the already leaked classic. Lions Gate's been busy, »torrentfreak.com/major-t ··· -140819/ .

hit the unsub button and stop the crying ;p. then after that if you still get them i'd say raise a stink. as for the movie, already watch it last weekend, sept 9th 10th lol, was ok i guess, kinda shity with the new players, i never do torrents, just use up.to (upload.net)

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

Wow, past contests have been cool from TSI, but I don't want to do social media shit....

TSI's heart might be in the right place about this, but I agree with you that as soon as a contest or promo tries to lead me into SM territory, I will pass, as I did on this one.

Also, I have ZERO interest in spreading around my personal info to other parties, and THAT's what it looked like was also necessary here.

That said, I will probably still watch that movie at some point, and will still BUY pizza from time to time.

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

said by oceros :

but even that point - is Teksavvy supposed to change their logo to a pirate skull and Andre start wearing an eyepatch with his dress?

Okay, so you mention that this shouldn't be a panic situation, aka an extreme. Now you mention Andre getting a tattoo on his bicep and/or booty with The Pirate Bay logo. Isn't that an extreme too? The point being, why get in bed and do the deed with someone who may have a litigious streak.

Yes my extreme example was extreme. My point was an ISP delivers internet. They aren't waiting to shout obscenities at some marketing company which approaches them that might be associated to a movie that might generate lawsuits which impact said ISP's users.

This thread would only make sense if the company involved with this promotion was Voltage.

It's worth a raise of an eyebrow if there was going to be a deluge of marketing emails with third party involvement like this one. I doubt that is about to happen. My eyebrow is lowered.

Carry on.

Charlee
Premium Member
join:2013-09-05
canada

Charlee to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
It's pretty hilarious, TSI decides to team up to try and do something cool and people are freaking out.

Sure each side has a point, but if you dont want to be part of it dont be. If you want to go for the contest go ahead. Its as simple as clicking delete and being done with it.

all I can say is a big *sigh* ...my goodness, you can never please them all ever.

Guspaz
Guspaz
MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC

Guspaz to bbbc

MVM

to bbbc
I don't get the complaints. I like Pizza Pizza. I like The Expendables. A promo where I can win pizza or movies that I like? Score!

bbbc
NorthAmerica

bbbc

said by Guspaz :

I don't get the complaints.I like Pizza Pizza. I like The Expendables. A promo where I can win pizza or movies that I like? Score!

Man, I know what to buy you for Xmas. A Pizza Pizza gift certificate / card and a Walmart $5 Sylvester Stallone DVD from Walmart.
Expand your moderator at work

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck to Guspaz

to Guspaz

Re: TSI spam: Doubt most folks want cross-promotion for Expendables

said by Guspaz:

I don't get the complaints. I like Pizza Pizza. I like The Expendables. A promo where I can win pizza or movies that I like? Score!

sad.

oceros37
St Thomas, ON

oceros37 to bbbc

to bbbc
i bet this thread has a cooler ending than the expendables 3