uniqs
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

[Appliances] Dryer top too hot

I have a Kenmore dryer (think it's Frigidaire make). Has 4 temperature settings and with a temperature sensor dial. The issue is, that even on the lowest temperature settings (or any temperature setting), the top back of the dryer (where the heating element is) gets really hot to the touch. The strange thing about this though as the clothes dry and temperature sensor moves towards its cooler area on the dial, the top back of the dryer gradually gets less hot (as it should). I'm looking for suggestions on most likely causes for the back getting so hot and what to test before I go and arbitrarily replace things,

More details:
I've completely cleaned out the airflow path, blower, etc. The vent has a 12-15 foot horizontal run with a couple of 90 degree bends (can't change that) within the wall and a nearly 360 degree flex vent connection from dryer to wall. Not the best I know, but the airflow outside seems respectable.

Thinking it could be the heater whereby an element wire shorted to the heater making a constant connection. I've read this is common in electric dryers. If this were the case, how could it cool down as the temperature sensor dial moves?

Another thing I can think of is the temperature knob. There are four settings (high, med-high, medium, delicate). Maybe something there is stuck? Again like above, if this were the case, how could it cool down as the temperature sensor dial moves?
LittleBill
join:2013-05-24

LittleBill

is this a new thing or has it always been like this?
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

New. Was never that hot before unless drying like towels on maximum heat.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to bbear2

MVM

to bbear2
Since you have cleaned out the dryer exhaust and flow seems OK the next thing to check is the temp sensor, lint may be blocking the sensor causing dryer to run hot, or the temperature control itself may be defective. However since different settings seem to change temperature my bet is the temp sensor, but you may not be able to just change the sensor.

I assume you moved dryer away from the wall when you cleaned the duct work so you know nothing is blocking the air intake.

/tom
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

said by tschmidt:

...the next thing to check is the temp sensor, lint may be blocking the sensor causing dryer to run hot, ...
/tom

Not sure where the temp sensor is. I thought that the temperature setting switch (1 of 4 positions) controls the temp. There is a moisture sensor and that is clean and appears to be working because the temp sensor dial does move as the clothes dry.
said by tschmidt:

... or the temperature control itself may be defective. However since different settings seem to change temperature my bet is the temp sensor, ...
/tom

If by temperature control you mean the 4 position switch, different settings do NOT change the temp.
said by tschmidt:

I assume you moved dryer away from the wall when you cleaned the duct work so you know nothing is blocking the air intake.

/tom

Dryer is at lease 8-12 inches from the wall mostly because the vent duct is in the way. The "air intake" vent is clean. When I first cleaned it, there was a ton of lint caking on the floor, drum motor, etc. And that's what prompted me to clean out the ventilation vent first.

cowboyro
Premium Member
join:2000-10-11
CT

cowboyro to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
Can you quantify "really hot"? Because by my definition you wouldn't even touch it a second time. Maybe by your definition it feels uncomfortably hot when keeping your hand on it?
So is it 100F hot or 200F hot?
One possible reason is that it's the area of the element, which, coincidentally, is getting hot...
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

If I placed my hand on it for more than a 1/2 second it will be burned. I don't recall it ever being that hot before.

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to bbear2

MVM

to bbear2
Disconnect the dryer duct/hose at the output of the dryer temporarily. Run the dryer and see if the issue goes away. If it does, then (obviously) the issue is the back-pressure in the hose, due to the number of bends. You may need a fan to help remove the air from the dryer in that case.

If that is not the case; then I am voting that you either have a problem with the temperature sensor; or heating coil making contact with the dryer enclosure and transmitting heat to the enclosure through conduction.

Bubba
GIT-R-DONE
MVM
join:2002-08-19
St. Andrews

Bubba to bbear2

MVM

to bbear2
"respectable airflow" ?

where the duct exits the house, is there good air flow and do the louvers(if so equipped) open properly ?
I have to check/clean mine periodically and I travel at least 20ft horizontally with no trouble !
bbear2
Premium Member
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Yep. That's where I started. Cleaned out a good amount of lint with a strong shopvac. The louvers do "fly" open. In fact if I close 2 of the 3 louvers with my hand temporarily, it's like a little jet fan coming out of the 3rd.