spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BSAIII
join:2007-06-16
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII

I vsn router question

I have an app on my phone that displays wi-fi signals. It shows 2 signals from the same MAC address. One with the correct SSID and one with a question mark for a name. The named one show about 5 db stronger than the ? mark one. They both list the same channel and security methods.

Why 2 signals from the same router?
PJL
join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA

PJL

Which app are you using?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber to BSAIII

MVM

to BSAIII
A neighbor cloned your MAC address?

BSAIII
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII to PJL

to PJL
Wifi Analyzer by Kevin Yuan from the Google Play store. WifiExplorer from www.nutsaboutnets.com also shows 2 APs.
BSAIII

BSAIII to More Fiber

to More Fiber
And their signal strength is within 5 db? My closest neighbor is on Charter.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr to BSAIII

MVM

to BSAIII
Turn your known router off then see what's in the wireless neighborhood.
Are you sure you're not running a second AP for wifi coverage?
Serious question, someone not too long ago remembered that's what they did after someone asked.

Then turn it back on, and change the channel. Again, see what's in the neighborhood.

Then change the MAC address, and see what's in the neighborhood. With these changes, I'm thinking look to see if the phantom signal changes or follows, either immediately or later. So it might take a little bit of time to figure it out.

BSAIII
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII

Before

After

The MI424WR is the only wireless AP in the house.
Turned off wifi and both disappeared. Turned back on and both appeared. Changed channel to 1 and no change. No other APs found on chan 1 so I will leave it there. Don't know how to change MAC.

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

Appearance of 2 instances of same router is odd. But it's clear that it is not a rogue element in the area. What happens if you power off the router? Also consider rebooting the phone.

BSAIII
Las Vegas, NV

BSAIII

Rebooted phone, nothing. Rebooted router, nothing. Power cycled router, nothing. Still 2 signals.
BSAIII

BSAIII to birdfeedr

to birdfeedr
I think I figured it out. The ? AP is a signal with a non-broadcasted SSID. I was at my neighbors and saw 2 listed. Mine and his. The app displays 2 for my network because it sees the anon signal and the one I am logged into.