All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

RemN
@108.170.152.x

RemN

Anon

Any way to track usage at home if you are not home?

Suppose I'm away from home and I know someone at home is going to be using the internet. Aside from asking them to check »www.start.ca/support/usage (suppose they aren't tech-savvy) ... is there anyway I could track usage at home?

damir
join:2013-12-12
CANADA

damir

For the same reason i wish start had a customer portal, where you could log in, check bw usage, change cc information, see invoices\download them, etc.

Start Sam
join:2014-01-21
London, ON

Start Sam

It's coming, trust me.

I can't provide any details other than at this time it's setup for our Digital Voice (VoIP) customers to manage their features and E911 address.

We definteily hear everyone who would like a account managing portal.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

To echo Sam, it's 'really close now' and something that's been in the works for a while.

The framework took a lot of time because we didn't take any short-cuts and created a security isolation layer between our customer-facing portal and the back-end systems which they manage.

Now that the bulk of the work is done we're starting to integrate each of the services, focusing on making it intuitive while giving full control over the service. Wholesale was the first area to go over, then voice just this month. Other services will continue to be added to the portal as well as moving existing functionality such as making a payment, changing payment information, etc.

Expect some more details in 4-6 weeks.

damir
CANADA

damir

as usual, you guys rock.

lately, so many good news!

Will there be an option to create\request @start.ca e-mail?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

Yes, not sure exactly where on the order that is but it's something we want to push out as well. It's one of the trickiest to do properly though to prevent abuse, but we'll definitely have something there. Much easier for customers with their own domains, ie free reign on whatever they want to create there.

damir
CANADA

damir

Understood, cool, good stuff rocca, as usual.

billco
join:2011-02-11
Ottawa, ON

billco to RemN

to RemN
If you're comfortable with basic command line scripting, you could use something like `wget` to scrape that usage page, then use another utility to send the results via email or SMS. Run it as a scheduled task and you have yourself a ghetto monitoring system.
Ree
join:2007-04-29
h0h0h0

Ree to RemN

to RemN
CapSavvy supports Start, so you could use that to check usage from wherever you are. Just need to get your "usage code" for it first:

»www.start.ca/support/capsavvy

I also took CapSavvy and hooked it up to the web, so you can check your usage from anywhere without having to install anything. Requires the same unique code you get from the above page.

And I also rewrote portions of CapSavvy in javascript as a Firefox add-on, so that's another option.

All three of these options only give you access to the current usage total though, there's no way to get the daily totals via API unfortunately.