spc
Search similar:

uniqs
dbqjoe
join:2013-04-07
Dubuque, IA

3 edits

dbqjoe

Down to 1 channel after maintenance outage.

Last week for 2 or 3 nights in a row internet was out in Dubuque for maintenance (according the dns popup warning). Ive been getting slow download speeds whereas I should be getting 10-15MB/s when downloading from Steam etc. I used to easily get 100+MBs on speedtest but now I barely break 30. I check my signal on my modem and where I used to get 4 channels now its 1. This doesnt seem normal at all especially since everyone seems to be getting 8 channels now. Im on the Ultra package.

What did Mediacom do last week in Dubuque that has made my speeds plummet because this is not acceptable. Before anyone starts, I did not make a single change whatsoever either hardware or software wise. Speeds are identical be it over Ethernet or Wifi. Tested on my gaming PC via ethernet, my Ipad Air and my Mac Mini.

edit: Restarted modem no change. Restore defaults, no change.

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium Member
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Re: This CANNOT be right. One channel, slow speeds. What is going on?

Thank you for this information. I see that you are currently only bonding to 1 down stream. Can you try a hard power cycle of the modem. Once it is back up I can run some more diagnostics on it.
dbqjoe
Dubuque, IA

dbqjoe

Done

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

I am still showing 1 downstream. I will need to have a tech come out to check the signals to ensure they are close enough to bond.
dbqjoe
Dubuque, IA

dbqjoe

But why is this happening? Nothing was changed on my end. A few days ago you guys did something in Dubuque so why do I need a tech to visit? I need an explanation for this.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

This could be caused by a signal issue. In order to bond properly, the down streams would need to be within a certain db of each other. If they are outside of this range this will not happen.
dbqjoe
Dubuque, IA

dbqjoe

Ok so when can a tech come out?

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

Anonymous_ to MediacomChad

Premium Member

to MediacomChad
if it's not bonding then it's a bad modem
dbqjoe
Dubuque, IA

dbqjoe

I don't buy that. This is a sb6141 that I bought new back in late February to replace my old sb5100 I think it was. Like I said it was working fine and I had 4 channels because I check the modem status once a day. Last week there were 2 or 3 nights of downtime because mediacom was performing maintenance according to the dns popup notification. After that is when I noticed the single channel bonding.
v12dock
join:2011-05-21
Chillicothe, IL

v12dock to dbqjoe

to dbqjoe
There has to be an issue on Mediacom's end I am experiencing the same problem along with other people I know who are using Mediacom

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to dbqjoe

MVM

to dbqjoe
I had the same issue in Independence, but a power cycle fixed it. I noticed slow speeds for several days after overnight maintenance before seeing that I only had once channel bonded. So I would agree that something is happening on Mediacom's side to cause this.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad to dbqjoe

Premium Member

to dbqjoe
Send me a PM and I can set up a trouble call for you.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas to v12dock

Premium Member

to v12dock
have you tried restoring defaults (not just restarting) so that it ranges to find channels?

dbqjoe
Dubuque, IA

dbqjoe

Yeah did all that. Restored defaults, waited an hour then reboot. no change.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

then as annoying as it is youl need a tech visit. its the way there setup. first theyl send a premis tech to check the stuff in your home up to the tap, if its beyond the tap theyl send out a line tech (maint tech?).

i to doubt its the modem given its age, but if the premis tech insists it is, insist he hook up one of theres to prove it.
dbqjoe
Dubuque, IA

dbqjoe

OH the tech will definitely have to try a different modem to rule out a faulty modem. If I had another docsis 3 modem with me I'd try it but the only one I have is my old 5100 which I dont think would prove anything.
dbqjoe

dbqjoe

Re: Down to 1 channel after maintenance outage.

Ok well the tech came out. He replaced some switch outside on the pole. He said the existing one was old and should have been replaced ages ago. The fact that I was getting such great speeds up until this started was pretty amazing. Anyway he replaced it with a new one, but still no change.

The tech then used another docsis3 modem he had in the truck and sure enough he was still getting the same speeds on this completely different modem than mine.

At the end he said there wasnt anything else to do. The coax/modem I have are fine as I suspected. Something on Mediacom's end is up. He said there was some outage in Dbq and that there were a bunch of critical calls so that may have something to do with it, but he was confused as am I as to why this is all happening. Oddly my upload speeds are fantastic, its just for some reason Im not getting the full download speeds I should be getting.

He said he has to run it by his boss and they'll call tomorrow to see whats what.

MediacomChad
Premium Member
Gulf Breeze, FL

MediacomChad

Premium Member

Keep me posted as to what he relays to you. I would need to put that information in your ticket.