OpTiC
Premium Member
join:2014-03-08
West Covina, CA

OpTiC to McPolygon

Premium Member

to McPolygon

Re: [FiOS] Faster speeds on the way? (50-100 Mbps) FIOS

Centurylink 1 gbps is unlimited but the plans below ha a 250gb download cap and a unlimited upload cap.
»internethelp.centurylink ··· /EUP.pdf
Q: Does the EUP include 1 Gig customers?
A: CenturyLink's Excessive Use Policy does not impact 1 Gigabit customers

fiosuser
@50.46.230.x

fiosuser

Anon

1gb/1gb with unlimited upload cap, yet we can't even get a download boost and keep a 20+mbit upload
Cuculain
join:2002-10-10
Beaverton, OR

Cuculain to McPolygon

to McPolygon

Recently upgraded from i forget download and 20mbit upload to 50 down and 20 up. I think i talked to the account rep and insisted on keeping the 20mbit upstream.
Dampier
Phillip M Dampier
join:2003-03-23
Rochester, NY

Dampier to McPolygon

to McPolygon
These are going to be primarily new housing developments and multi-dwelling units, some already served by a fiber connection. Don't count on getting this in 99% of their service areas. Here in suburban Rochester, the max is still 3.1Mbps in our neighborhood.
wasvznowftr
join:2010-07-13

wasvznowftr

said by Dampier:

These are going to be primarily new housing developments and multi-dwelling units, some already served by a fiber connection. Don't count on getting this in 99% of their service areas. Here in suburban Rochester, the max is still 3.1Mbps in our neighborhood.

With the exception of South Carolina, these new speeds are being deployed across the whole FiOS footprint.

Not sure where you're getting the idea they'll only be offered in greenfield and MDUs.
npa189
join:2014-09-23

npa189 to McPolygon

to McPolygon
I called yesterday and scheduled an upgrade to 50mb from the 15 I currently have. The tech said it would happen today, but as it nears 5pm PST I've still yet to see the increase on my fios. I reset the gateway, is there anything else I can do on my end?

neotron
join:2003-09-16
Seattle, WA

neotron to Cuculain

to Cuculain
said by Cuculain:

Recently upgraded from i forget download and 20mbit upload to 50 down and 20 up. I think i talked to the account rep and insisted on keeping the 20mbit upstream.

I tried chatting with a rep yesterday to see about keeping the upgrade, and they wouldn't/couldn't do it. She recommended I keep my 35/35 connection that I'm grandfathered into until "they can provide more upload".
millerzone
join:2004-10-15
Kirkland, WA

millerzone

I upgraded from 25/25 to 50/10 today. I am currently getting 42 down and 25 up. I suspect the 42 is a limit of my old router, and the 25 means they've mis-provisioned the line in my favor.

NOYB
St. John 3.16
Premium Member
join:2005-12-15
Forest Grove, OR

NOYB

Premium Member

said by millerzone:

I suspect the 42 is a limit of my old router, and the 25 means they've mis-provisioned the line in my favor.

Let us know how long that lasts.
millerzone
Kirkland, WA

millerzone

After upgrading my old SonicWALL TZ170 to a Cisco RV180W, I now get my full 50M speed down.
Still getting ~25M up.

I can imagine that the order said "upgrade speed to 50M" and the programming simply left the download speed alone.
wasvznowftr
join:2010-07-13

wasvznowftr

You were just sold the old 50/20 business package that's been around for years.
said by millerzone:

After upgrading my old SonicWALL TZ170 to a Cisco RV180W, I now get my full 50M speed down.
Still getting ~25M up.

I can imagine that the order said "upgrade speed to 50M" and the programming simply left the download speed alone.

liquidspikes
join:2014-09-29

liquidspikes to millerzone

to millerzone
Did they have to replace your ONT?
andrewsi
join:2000-12-18
Redmond, WA

andrewsi to McPolygon

to McPolygon
Hey Seattle area folk (McPolygon?) who have already gone through the 100mb upgrade process: I just scheduled an upgrade for next week (Redmond WA), but I have some questions about what they're going to do on the truck roll. It's a residential-only neighborhood so I kinda doubt if GPON's actually an option.

I was an early adopter when Verizon laid the fiber and so I still have whatever the original Motorola BPON MOCA ONT was, and the provided ancient Actiontec WR424 MOCA router. For ease of wiring it was set up with MOCA since there was RG6 available on the side of the house where it was replacing Comcast, but there was no spare Cat5 to allow a direct connection to the wiring closet as the one that's there was needed for the landline output from the ONT. For the last several years I've had the Actiontec configured as a pure MOCA->Cat5 bridge, and have been using my own Netgear router with Openwrt firmware as the "actual" router.

So my questions are:
1) Should I expect that they're going to want to replace the ONT? With what model?
2) What sort of speed penalty would I get from continuing to use MOCA as the connection from the ONT to the room where the router's located, and what are they using as MOCA replacement routers? (And would I have to ditch my OpenWRT setup?) I do NOT use any of the FIOS TV services, so the only traffic on the MOCA line is the internet.

I'm thinking maybe I should undertake the initiative to run some Cat5 through the crawl space between the ONT location and the room on the far side of the house where the router is now, and head off any problems with #2 at the pass. (They're not charging any install fee, just a $10 (re)activation charge. Which seems pretty decent.

The central wiring closet has plenty of Cat5 to every room in the house, but it would be difficult to run another one from it to the ingress point. There's currently only the one RG6 and one Cat5 cable leading between them, which is being used for the landline connection from the ONT (and the RG6 for MOCA). So running another directly to the patch panel would be difficult.

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions.

Ben J
My spoon is too big
Premium Member
join:2011-09-16
Elk Grove, CA

Ben J

Premium Member

For coax, you'll get a new Calix GPON ONT with an external HPNA to Ethernet Adapter on the router side or a direct cat5 run. There is no MoCA anymore on the newer ONTs.
andrewsi
join:2000-12-18
Redmond, WA

andrewsi

That seems like a decent solution, so I'd have the ability to keep my existing router and doesn't sound like there'd be a speed problem at 100mbps over HPNA? Maybe I'll just hold off on proactively running a new Cat5 then, I can always do it later then (or have the installer do it if it becomes necessary for some reason.)

I guess MoCA vs. HPNA is just a signaling/physical protocol difference over the same coax media? Never spent too much time investigating the distinction.

McPolygon
join:2013-11-25
Bonney Lake, WA
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD
MikroTik RB4011

4 edits

McPolygon to andrewsi

to andrewsi
Hi Andrewsi,

I would suspect that they will want to switch you over to GPON if they are coming out. There was mention somewhere on this forum that there are several variations of GPON Frontier has deployed in their FiOS footprint. For me I was switched from a Motorola GT1000 BPON ONT to a Calix 722 GPON ONT which has 2 POTS, 2 gigabit Ethernet ports, and one RF coax jack.

The Actiontec router you have is pretty old. They are now giving out the latest Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I routers. I don't know if MoCA performance has increased with the latest model.. MoCA 1.1 maxes out at 275Mbps across the cable, in a laboratory environment. I believe the max is 100Mbps per device. Also there are some noticeable local latency penalties with running MoCA from the ONT or anywhere else in between. (Someone keep me honest here...)

Because of this I would recommend running ethernet from the ONT to your Openwrt router and bypassing the Frontier supplied router all together if you are willing to put forth the effort. Its 100% optional... This will however give you some headroom if and when Frontier offers faster speeds. If you do eliminate the Actiontec and plan on ever getting TV service I would get a MoCA NID so you can still get Guide and On-Demand services. I use this NID behind my Ubiquiti Edgerouter Lite: »www.actiontec.com/251.html

zmarty
@50.46.217.x

zmarty to andrewsi

Anon

to andrewsi
1) They upgraded my line to 100/15 yesterday. I live in Kirkland, WA. They had to change my ONT to Calix 722ge.
2) They did not give me a replacement router as I was already using only an Ethernet connection directly from the ONT. I still have the Actiontec one but I do not use it at all (unless when I call for support).

fiosuser
@50.126.99.x

fiosuser to McPolygon

Anon

to McPolygon
Keep an eye on your bill if you are on a promotional rate and had called in for the speed upgrade. I received my first bill and promotions were removed because they upgraded my account to the new speeds....... Just an FYI

McPolygon
join:2013-11-25
Bonney Lake, WA

McPolygon to zmarty

to zmarty
What sort of speeds are you getting at night?

fiosuser
@50.126.99.x

fiosuser

Anon

Just did speedtest, got 29.5 / 15.5

BVTNFIOS
@70.210.158.x

BVTNFIOS

Anon

That is for the 100/15?
millerzone
Kirkland, WA

millerzone to liquidspikes

to liquidspikes
No. Still the old Motorola ONT 1000V. The field tech told me that even for 100M service, that ONT would be fine, and not get replaced.
millerzone

millerzone to wasvznowftr

to wasvznowftr
It wasn't supposed to be. It was supposed to be the "simply FIOS" promotion, which is specifically the 50/10 service.

We'll see what my bill says when it eventually comes.
dd3mon
join:2003-08-21
Fort Wayne, IN

dd3mon to McPolygon

to McPolygon
So I talked to a Frontier account rep this morning and he offered me 50/10 service for $74.99/mo or 100/15 for $114.99/mo. This is for Fort Wayne, Indiana.

I'm currently getting 35/15 for $54.99/mo - so these options are laughably bad.

I really don't want to, but one of these days I'm gonna switch to Comcast, they're offering 105/25 for about what I'm paying now when you add in the cost of TV.

kirklandfios
@70.89.133.x

kirklandfios to zmarty

Anon

to zmarty
I have been tempted to switch out, but right now my 30/30 tests out at 35/35 and I only pay 69 a month for it. I couldnt give up my upload speed, I use it too much for streaming from my house along with sending huge files (graphics design work). Once they have something like 100/25 or 50/25 I may think about it...

BVTNFIOS
@50.53.102.x

BVTNFIOS

Anon

Anyone else in the Beaverton/Hillsboro/Forest Grove, OR area up their speeds to the new tiers? How are your speedtests at night?

zmarty
@50.46.217.x

zmarty to kirklandfios

Anon

to kirklandfios
I have been trying to get them to increase upload speeds for the last 1-2 years. The last chat that I had with the "Social" (read: Twitter) team was last week. They still don't want to do it, because it would hurt their business Internet sales. There is no technical reason. I think they are very shortsighted, since upload speed is one of the few things that could differentiate them from cable.

Kermee
Premium Member
join:2006-04-28
Seattle, WA

Kermee to vulcan125

Premium Member

to vulcan125
said by vulcan125:

Any changes to the business tiers?

I'm in the same boat. Wanted to see if anyone knows if the Business Tiers will get similar changes before I give them a call or chat them. I'm on an old 35/35 Business FiOS account in the Mill Creek, WA area with 5 static IPs ever since Verizon FiOS was made available and it's been rock solid all these years.

Cheers,
Kermee
Outlet
join:2014-09-18

Outlet

It looks like they just recently refreshed the business speeds. The top-end seems to be 50 Mbps now (was hoping for at least 100 Mbps)...

Kermee
Premium Member
join:2006-04-28
Seattle, WA

Kermee

Premium Member

said by Outlet:

It looks like they just recently refreshed the business speeds. The top-end seems to be 50 Mbps now (was hoping for at least 100 Mbps)...

Yeah. Tops out at 50/20. Guess I'm holding onto my Verizon 'legacy' 35/35. Here's my chat transcription:
Ciara: We offer speeds up to 50mbps download and 20mbps upload.
You: So the 50mbps download tier drops 35mbps to 20mbps upload?
Ciara: unfortunately yes the upload speed would be less but the download speed would go up to 50mbps, You are on one of our older plans that we do not offer any longer.
Ciara: Currently, you are paying 125.99 plus 20.00 for a block of static ip. For 50 mbps the price would be 169.99 plus the additional 20.00 for your block of static ips.
You: Ah. Okay. I will then hold onto my 35/35 tier for now then. Thank you for the info!

35Mbps (fluffs around 40Mbps though) upstream is more important to me.

Cheers,
Kermee