All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
allster101
join:2014-08-19
Osseo, MN

allster101

Any way to turn Zyxel PK5001Z CenturyLink DSL modem into WiFi access point?

Hey everyone.

I have a Zyxel PK5001Z DSL modem from CenturyLink lying around. There's a part of my house that has spotty WiFi coverage, so I decided to see if I could turn this modem into an AP. That part of the house has Ethernet, so what I want to do is plug an Ethernet cable into the Zyxel and have it broadcast a WiFi signal into the part of my house that has spotty WiFi from my main router.

The trouble is, the firmware on the Zyxel doesn't support it.

I read on a different forum that LAN and WAN ports kinda act the same inside the router. If you want to use it in AP mode, like I do, they can act the same. So I shouldn't have any issues seeing that the modem doesn't have a WAN port (just a DSL phone line jack).

So I was thinking that I could install something like DD-WRT or OpenWRT. However, from what I've read, neither of these support this modem.
I also read on a different forum that since Zyxel makes different products, it would be possible to flash a different firmware, from a Zyxel product that has AP capability, on to this one. Then I could use this one as an AP.

Any help with doing any of this would be appreciated. If I didn't clarify some things enough, sorry, please ask for clarification and I'll do my best.

Thanks in advance.
JPedroT
Premium Member
join:2005-02-18

JPedroT

Premium Member

In general ZyXEL products do not have other firmwares you can put on them, neither 3rd party or other ZyXEL products.

You can try to connect your device to the ethernet through one of the LAN ports, disable DHCP and if it supports static routes, add a default that routes to your real gateway.
allster101
join:2014-08-19
Osseo, MN

allster101

said by JPedroT:

In general ZyXEL products do not have other firmwares you can put on them, neither 3rd party or other ZyXEL products.

You can try to connect your device to the ethernet through one of the LAN ports, disable DHCP and if it supports static routes, add a default that routes to your real gateway.

Thank you so much. I just did this and it's working perfectly. I finally have amazing WiFi everywhere