Premium Member

to papabbq

Re: [OpenWRT] Update on Linksys WRT1900AC support

said by papabbq:

So, what is the best router????
Asus???
Have a WRT1900AC Now.
Thanks in advance. Looking for opinion

You currently have one of the best routers. What is wrong with the WRT1900AC?

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
join:2007-01-04
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

For people that care or want it. 3rd party firmware that was promised and now they cannot deliver. As a vanilla based router from the factory and latest firmware. It is now a excellent device.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
join:2004-09-19
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I was going to use the stock firmware anyway.

It was between the WRT1900AC and an AC Asus. I read too many complaints about the Asus stock firmware being buggy. I'm still saving my pennies for the WRT1900AC.

rod_pod
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
Great Falls, MT

rod_pod

Premium Member

I just purchased the WRT1900AC and it is a great router - with stock firmware. It also works great with my WUMC710 media extender. Before I made this purchase I looked at the reviews for the Netgear R7000 and Asus RT-AC68U. I was strongly considering the Netgear R7000 but with several negative reviews I decided to stay with the Linksys brand. And so [far] it has been great.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

I have had my WRT1900AC for a little over a month. Very pleased with it.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
I've been using the WRT1900AC router for a few months with the stock firmware and it's unbelievably awesome. Totally worth the price. Hell, it's pretty much become the defecto router I recommend for all my customers, and even in places that don't need a router like businesses, it makes a great wireless access point. I'm seeing a huge improvement in both wireless network bandwidth and range, even with iPads and iPhones and other N only devices. That Beamforming technology is a doozy. The RADIUS server functionality works great with the WPA2 Enterprise mode.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks Mike. I haven't been able to afford it yet, however, the WRT1900AC will be sending WiFi throughout my house soon. For now, the firmware update for my E4200v2 has helped it a lot and it's working better.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Best Buy has it on sale right now for $199. $50 bucks off. You should grab it.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks for the Best Buy tip. Right now I'm having major problems with 2 cars that's taking most of my financial attention. Even $199 is a burden I can't bear. I hope that I can find it at that price when I'm ready to get it. I even re-configured my whole system (mostly for the best router position in my home) the other day to get ready for it. For now, my E4200v2 sits there keeping the spot warm.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
Oh a heads up RR Conductor found a mostly working Open WRT firmware you might want to check out when you get the router if you like open source firmware. »Re: [Equip] Need help picking new router for new speed tier

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
I just pulled the trigger on the WRT1900AC. Best Buy's online price was back to $249, but I got it on Amazon for $199. Looking forward to it!

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf

Congrats, it's a lot of fun to use and setup.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15 to lordpuffer

Premium Member

to lordpuffer
Nice! If you need help or any questions setting it up. Feel free to post up and I will be more then happy to assist.

P.S.

I use the local login and don't bother with the smartwifi online stuff.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Now that the matching switch has been released I'm even more over the moon thrilled with this router. »store.linksys.com/Linksy ··· prod.htm

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Got the WRT1900AC yesterday. I haven't had time to even open it up yet. Probably tomorrow, Friday. Wow, it's a big box and heavy too (compared to my E4200v2)! Can't wait to open it and set it up!

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Yes it is a beast and build quality is excellent. Above and beyond the other guys out right now.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
Even the packaging itself is really high quality with form fitting foam and padding. I just took a look at it again and man it's some good packaging. Plus now the matching switch is out. »store.linksys.com/Linksy ··· prod.htm

rod_pod
Premium Member
join:2003-08-10
Great Falls, MT

rod_pod

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

Plus now the matching switch is out. »store.linksys.com/Linksy ··· prod.htm

Thanks for the info, I just ordered this one! I've been looking for a decent switch this will be perfect and 69.99 is a very good price.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

2 edits

Mike Wolf

Glad I could help. I'd love to get one as soon as I can afford it.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer to Mike Wolf

Premium Member

to Mike Wolf
The switch looks nice, however I don't need it right now. I'll have all 4 WRT1900AC ports in use, but if I need more, I now know what to get.
lordpuffer

lordpuffer to KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

to KoRnGtL15
said by KoRnGtL15:

So the first time that I turn it on after I connect it to my PC, I can just enter 192.168.1.1 and gain access to the setup pages that way? I saw somewhere on youtube that you have to enter a certain URL to gain access to the setup pages. I don't want to use the smartwifi either.

KoRnGtL15
Premium Member
Grants Pass, OR

1 recommendation

KoRnGtL15

Premium Member

Yes just go straight there. Then on the page you will see where it says you would like to set it up manually. Instead of using SmartWifi. Make sure the box is checked and then go ahead configuring manually. Once in before you do any thing. Make sure you upgrade the firmware to the latest right away. Then configure. I don't let it update firmware automatically. You will see the box for it. I leave it unchecked and then just click on check for update manually.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

Thanks for the info on that. I'm going to do it exactly that way.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
Awesome
Mike Wolf

1 recommendation

Mike Wolf to lordpuffer

to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

said by KoRnGtL15:

So the first time that I turn it on after I connect it to my PC, I can just enter 192.168.1.1 and gain access to the setup pages that way? I saw somewhere on youtube that you have to enter a certain URL to gain access to the setup pages. I don't want to use the smartwifi either.

Yeah I went for the longest time against the whole smartwifi cloud thingamabob after using the "classic UI" as Linksys calls it. But I realized that in order for me to use my 500GB USB hard drive, I had to upgrade because it wouldn't get recognized otherwise. I upgraded my EA4500 router a few months ago in preparation for the WRT1900AC which comes with that interface by default and I gotta say I've gotten used to it. Now regarding the remote access portion, it's useful for those who have a need for it such as myself and it's nice that it's optional for those who don't.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME

lordpuffer

Premium Member

I don't have plans right now to hook up a hard drive to the router, and I don't really need remote access. If I do need either in the future, I'll then switch to the smartwifi.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

No problem, wasn't advocating, just sharing my own experience.

lordpuffer
Legalize It Joe!
Premium Member
Old Town, ME
Nokia XS-110G-A
Linksys Velop MX5300

lordpuffer

Premium Member

said by Mike Wolf:

just sharing my own experience.

And I greatly appreciate that. You are much more knowledgable about these things than I am, so any information you give is a learning experience for me.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Awesome, glad I could help