uniqs
cepnot4me
join:2013-10-29
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer

Re: Rogers Hamilton Mtn

I really hate when you say this.

However, in this case.. I'd have to agree. Rogers has to figure their crap out, if you've gone months with an unreliable unstable connection, switching off to DSL of some sort is probably your best bet.

DSL in all it forms has its own issues, so you could trade bad for worse. But it's worth the risk. I'd give Rogers a year, check in the Rogers.com website to see updates, go back to cable when it's stable again.
I doubt there is a reason to switch your TV services over though, I'd avoid any type of dish whatsoever. I'd keep Rogers for that.

*hangs head. I think we've really dropped the ball on this one.
Expand your moderator at work

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx to cepnot4me

to cepnot4me

said by cepnot4me:

I doubt there is a reason to switch your TV services over though, I'd avoid any type of dish whatsoever. I'd keep Rogers for that.

Sadly, Rogers has the WORST digital TV packages on the PLANET.

SHAW Direct's 'digital favorites' package @ $70/month has Rogers BEATEN HANDS DOWN.

With Rogers it's just more money after more money PLUS box rentals just to get the few channels you actually WANT to watch. Even their 'digital plus' is worthless without adding $15/month for the extra sports package just to watch a few Nascar races on TSN2 etc. Pay for 5 extra channels just to watch a couple hours ONCE a week on ONE. WHAT A RIP AS USUAL.

Scam after scam AFTER SCAM is all you get with Rogers digital TV.

AND we won't even talk about that POS Nextbox 3.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

That depends on your channel preferences. For me Rogers has everything I want, in Basic, everything my house needs in Ultimate, no need for add on packages, no need for specialty packs.

But I don't watch sports.
When I had cable, I had one 4642. One TV. Ultimate cable and I saw everything I wanted.

*shrugs, good or bad each companies line up is personal preference.

elitefx
London, ON

1 edit

elitefx

Yea, it's got nothing to do with channel preferences. It's all about 'Value for the Dollar'.

Rogers packs every brain dead mind numbing worthless channel they can find into their base packages and then CLAIMS it's 'Digital plus' AND not to mention 37 versions of the same network feed with all the nauseating Reality shows you can stomach.

NOT a movie to be found anywhere EXCEPT in the specialty packages at an added monthly cost. Unless you want to watch the same REPEAT 20 year old movie for the 50th time.

And then there's the 'Aquarium channel' REALLY.

Are people actually that mentally challenged that they would actually spend $600 on a Big Screen and Rogers cable bill/month just to watch computer generated fish swim around? And Rogers calls this 'Digital Plus?'.

ANY entertainment value can only be found on Rogers highest tier packages at OBVIOUSLY the highest cable rates around.

AND THEN of course comes Rogers 'box' rental fees along with it.

House after house after house in my neck of the woods has a Satellite dish bolted to it. Is there any wondering why? Unless you're stuck in an apartment, with no clear line of sight to a satellite, the obvious choice for your entertainment dollar is clear.

Go with Bell or switch to Shaw Direct. Rogers TV doesn't even enter the equation any more.

No entertainment VALUE period.
Expand your moderator at work
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me to elitefx

to elitefx

Lol. See I have the most basic Expressvu package. I'm not sure what it includes, but I know I have 8 Versions of CTV. The guide shows me more pay per view stations than regular stations I can actually get.

And to be honest, I haven't found a single station other than CTV that has any content worth watching.

With cable I at least got global. CP24..

I could argue that Dish is worse, Rogers is better.. however I don't think it matters. When it comes to channel line up, the broadcasters suck.

Bell, Rogers, Shaw. They all offer me nothing to be honest.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

500 channels and nothing on.
And you wonder why people find "alternate" ways to get their content.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

I found 2 parts to that.
Problem 1. Canadian content legislation.
These stupid CRTC rules is why radio plays nickelback every 3 songs. It's also why we have so many crap channels. I think canadian content is 60%? 60% of your package has to be canadian programming.

That's why we have like 9 parliament channels.

My neighbor still has Dishnet. If I had 20% of his line up, I'd be fine. Such better options, better programming, better selection. Hardly Any canadian content. ..
cepnot4me

cepnot4me

Problem 2.

One in 100 canadian programs is decent. Not good.. but not terrible.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to cepnot4me

Premium Member

to cepnot4me
50% from 6pm till 11pm must be Canadian
So you have an hour of news, some stupid entertainment show for another 30 minutes.

Then you tack on shows like Canadian Idol, or Amazing Race Canada.. it adds up, its sill crap, but it ads up.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

Well the REAL problem is how much Rogers CHARGES for cable TV and what EXACTLY they give us for our money.

If Rogers cable was $20 a month nobody would kick up much of a fuss. BUT it isn't.

At least they got the 'TV Like Never Before' line right. Rogers has taken cable TV to an all time new LOW.

Worst friggin' channel lineups on the PLANET.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

The biggest issue is not the bad lineup, but the protection that the specialty channels get (which ironically are owned by Rogers/Bell/Shaw).

Got a channel about counting widgets? No more allowed. Even though there is an American one. that's far superior in counting widgets.

DavePC
join:2013-08-18
Scarborough, ON

DavePC to elitefx

to elitefx
FWIW, there is a Rogers Cable TV package thats $15.14 a month, called Digital Lite TV.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

I still say, we have pay per use Internet, pay per use telephone.. let me pay per episode..

Oh wait.. thats ITunes. All you want, no commercials. No crap. 2 hours of what I actually watch. $10/week. And I can watch it as often as want.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx to DavePC

to DavePC
said by DavePC:

FWIW, there is a Rogers Cable TV package thats $15.14 a month, called Digital Lite TV.

Is there a channel lineup posted anywhere online? Sounds like a great package for those with minimal TV viewing requirements LIKE ME.

$15.14 a month is all ANY of Rogers TV crap is worth to anyone with half a brain I'm sure.
cepnot4me
L0C 1K0

cepnot4me

Lol. It'll be 18 parliament channels, the local Rogetstv channel and CBC.
With 85 digital radio stations that never play any good music.

elitefx
London, ON

elitefx

AND don't forget the 'Aquarium Channel'......
yyzlhr
join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON

yyzlhr to elitefx

to elitefx
It's mostly stuff you can get OTA plus CPAC and the ontario legislature channel I believe.

Exidor
Premium Member
join:2001-05-04

Exidor to cepnot4me

Premium Member

to cepnot4me

Re: Rogers Digital Lite TV

said by cepnot4me:

Lol. It'll be 18 parliament channels, the local Rogetstv channel and CBC.
With 85 digital radio stations that never play any good music.

It's actually quite a bit more.

I have the Rogers Digital Lite TV package so will try to put together a complete channel listing.
Tek_
join:2014-08-13
Canada

Tek_

I'd like to see the line up for that Digital Lite TV package as well .

A little bit about my experiences this past month:

We have Phone/Internet/Cable with (now) Rogers. Switch over went smooth. In fact, I didn't even know the switch had happened until I received a browser prompt informing me I had reached 75% of my data cap. Uh oh.

Previously with Shaw the internet was ~17/0.5 consistently and we were never charged for any overage, so I assumed it was unlimited usage. Looking back, there was probably a data cap, however it was never enforced.

I call the local Rogers office on Hester to clarify my internet package. The welcome package said I should have 20/1/200gb cap, but the person on the phone says my package has been entered as 25/2/125gb. My speed has not changed. Honestly, the speed didn't bother me, but the low cap did. I ask if there is anything that can be done and am offered unlimited for an extra $16/mo. No thanks.

I do my research and find Start.ca. The 25/10/unlimited package for $60 looks good for my needs, so I call Rogers again and tell them I would like to cancel. The person on the phone informs me they cannot cancel right away; they have to email someone and they will call me back. Fine. I wait a few days and receive no call, so I call the Rogers office again and go through the same routine. I receive a call the next day from (I assume) the retentions department. After some talking about what I am after I am offered the 60/10/unlimited package for $57.xx ($95/mo regular price). No contract and the deal lasts for 2 years. Fantastic. Honestly, I would like to go with a TPIA like Start, but this deal trumps what they can offer me. The only downside is the deal is packaged with cable, so if I cancel the cable the deal is null. I'm sure I could renegotiate another deal though, if needed.

I go to the local Rogers office because I have to swap my modem with a Docsis 3.0 one. There is a bit of a wait (a lot of people in there for a Monday at ~1pm), but I receive my modem and confirm the price with the person at the register. I come home and take a few minutes to set up the modem. Everything works great. SpeedTest results:

77/10 if it does not display.

Crossing my fingers that there are no issues with billing next month.

Next thing to work on is the cable. I would like to get rid of it altogether, but a basic package with local news (i.e. the $15 package above) would be just fine.

TL;DR: If you are unhappy and want a decent deal, look into switching to a different provider (Start/TekSavvy/whoever). Call Rogers to cancel and you will likely be offered a much better deal.