spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Andrewww

@24.226.121.x

[INTERNET] Upgraded to better plan and speed barely changed

My internet speeds were 10 and 2. I upgraded to a better plan that says maximum of 20 and 10. However, I only get 15 and 2. Can Cogeco just get around the low internet speeds it is giving me by saying those are only the "maximum speeds"?

Cogeco_Peter

join:2012-10-03
Burlington, ON
kudos:3
Could you create a post in the direct forum? I would like to take a look and see what can be done to resolve the issue.

Thanks,
Peter

Andrewww

@24.226.121.x
How do I do that?

JakeG

join:2013-02-23
Chatham, ON
Here: »Cogeco Direct

Cogeco_Peter

join:2012-10-03
Burlington, ON
kudos:3
reply to Andrewww
JakeG posted the link for the direct forum (Cogeco Direct)

You will need to create an account, as Anon users are unable to post in the direct forum. This is because only authorized Cogeco staff and the original posters have permissions to see the threads (they are tied to your login)

Thanks!
Peter

Jrock_bm

join:2014-02-02
Burlington, ON
reply to Andrewww
Did cogeco come out to switch your modem by any chance? Sounds like you might still be running there older modem that is not capable of the higher speeds you signed up for. May want to call in and have this looked at, and possibly book a call for a tech to come swap out your modem.

nssadmin

@72.38.91.x
reply to Andrewww
said by Andrewww :

My internet speeds were 10 and 2. I upgraded to a better plan that says maximum of 20 and 10. However, I only get 15 and 2. Can Cogeco just get around the low internet speeds it is giving me by saying those are only the "maximum speeds"?

Chances are there's an issue on your end or an issue on Cogeco's end that can be easily resolved by calling in. My advice is to plug your modem directly into a single PC and call them up after you've run a speed test with the results on screen.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..
reply to Andrewww
said by Andrewww :

I'll bet you next months bill the problem is you have a old modem not capable of the 20/10 speeds. You need what's called a docsis 3 modem.

nssadmin

@72.38.91.x
Wouldn't they tell him that when they upgrade? We always find ourselves haggling the upgrade charge that involves checking out the line / modem upgrade.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..
No, they are SUPPOSED to tell him and check. SUPPOSED TO and ACTUALLY DO are two different things though.

I used to be a Cogeco technician, and even during installs techs would install the wrong modem because they didnt check the requirements, or simply didnt care (ie, they didnt have the right modem in their truck).

Chooper
Premium
join:2012-01-02
Belle River, ON
reply to Andrewww
I can attest to this since it happened to me. I upgraded to Ultimate 55 and coaxguy asked me to check the docsis version which I had docsis 2. I had to call a tech in to replace the modem, but when I upgraded, the individual on the line never mentioned that the modem needed to be upgraded.

Goes to show that this forum does work, but it is up to you to investigate the problem sometimes or follow the advice given.

chdude3

join:2003-07-29
Oakville, ON
said by Chooper:

I can attest to this since it happened to me. I upgraded to Ultimate 55 and coaxguy asked me to check the docsis version which I had docsis 2. I had to call a tech in to replace the modem, but when I upgraded, the individual on the line never mentioned that the modem needed to be upgraded.

Goes to show that this forum does work, but it is up to you to investigate the problem sometimes or follow the advice given.

Now when I upgraded from Turbo 14 to Turbo 20, I first called in. The phone rep informed me that I would need a modem swap, I could either do the whole thing at the storefront in Oakville place, or schedule a tech visit. Very upfront, informative, and helpful.

I grabbed the old modem, took it to the storefront. Clerk there grabbed a D3 modem, made the changes to my account. I went home, plugged in the new modem, did a quick speedtest, and no issues at all. It took no more than 30 minutes door to door, quick and painless.

overclocked0

join:2003-01-07
Hamilton, ON
^^^I was also told I could bring in my old modem and get a new one at the store (Hamilton) when upgrading from Turbo 14 to Turbo 20. When I went there they said oh no we have to send out a Tech to change the modems so you can take your modem back home. Not a bid deal since they waved the $50 charge for the upgrade so I was happy with that.
--
Cogeco Ultimate 55: 57 Down & 10 Up, Ping 14.

chdude3

join:2003-07-29
Oakville, ON
said by overclocked0:

^^^I was also told I could bring in my old modem and get a new one at the store (Hamilton) when upgrading from Turbo 14 to Turbo 20.

This is what I was told, the phone rep said this would be easier, cheaper, and faster. And it was. I would have to double check, but I am fairly sure it was in early 2014 that I did this so not like it was years ago.