spc
Search similar:

uniqs

maxz
@69.165.214.x

maxz

Anon

Multiple public IP addresses

I am from Quebec and looking to find information on getting multiple public ip addresses. I do not want a subnet. anyone have any information on this? I am a teksavvy customer on a cable line from Quebec.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

Normally you just need to pay your ISP for more addresses and use a switch instead of a router to connect to your modem. You may need to upgrade to a business account.

kevinds
Premium Member
join:2003-05-01
Calgary, AB

kevinds to maxz

Premium Member

to maxz
Cable, you may be lucky and your modem is set for two instead of one

DSL, your router needs to dial-in, gets an IP and a subnet routed to it
Vinch
join:2007-10-24
Pointe-Claire, QC

Vinch to maxz

to maxz
You won't be able to get multiple addresses on cable through Teksavvy.

Alternatives include using some kind of vpn service or switching to DSL.

maxz
@69.165.214.x

maxz

Anon

I do not mind switching, but looking with bell, they need you to be in a 3 year contract which is a deal breaker
Vinch
join:2007-10-24
Pointe-Claire, QC

Vinch to maxz

to maxz
Why don't you get DSL and a subnet from Teksavvy? There are many ways to configure it depending on capabilities of your router.

maxz
@69.165.214.x

maxz

Anon

I want to make sure the ip address looks normal. I do not want a /30...so no subnets

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

OK, I'm going to ask a dumb question ... how does an ip address "look normal" ... and why would a /30 look abnormal.

Given the shortage of IPV4 addresses, this starts to get to be a real problem! Any cable service can only offer you IPs from a dynamic pool ... which is going to mean that you will have problems if you attempt to run a mail server ... many places block email from dynamic IP sources.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC

MacGyver to maxz

to maxz
Do you even know what /30 means?
READ: »doc.m0n0.ch/quickstartpc ··· IDR.html

jmck
formerly 'shaded'
join:2010-10-02
Ottawa, ON

jmck

i don't think it's a stretch to say OP likely doesn't have the skills involved to setup and maintain routing equipment for a subnet since TSI doesn't provide setup support.

he might be able to get multiple PPPoE logins with TSI tho.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds

Premium Member

said by jmck:

he might be able to get multiple PPPoE logins with TSI tho.

I have seen it asked a few times.. The answer is always no...
HELLFIRE
MVM
join:2009-11-25

HELLFIRE to maxz

MVM

to maxz
To put it mildly, OP may need a whole lesson on networking as I can understand the following requirement
said by maxz :

looking to find information on getting multiple public ip addresses.

but I can't wrap my mind around the following "requirements" :
said by maxz :

I do not want a subnet

said by maxz :

I want to make sure the ip address looks normal.

said by maxz :

I do not want a /30

To which I'd respond "WTF?," "2nd sbrook See Profile," and "2nd MacGuyver See Profile."

OP may also want to look into what route summarization is as to why an ISP will be VERY leery of their request.

I'll set off the bear trap as well : why do you want multiple public IP addresses / exactly what do you think it will do for you in the end?

My 00000010bits

Regards

Maxz
@69.165.214.x

Maxz

Anon

In the past I was with videotron, and had 4 different ip addresses. I needed them to play a certain game online where I was multi accounting. We are a few at home that play this game. we do not cheat, we just want to play as normal, but the site does not allow this. I am not asking for morals here. I just would like to know my different options in quebec. I see that bell could do it with a business line, but its not the 220$ per month that makes it a deal breaker, its the 3 year contract.

Videotron has a pretty good one too it seems, and no contract. I am just wondering about other options.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS

Premium Member

So basically, non-consecutive ip's to create an appearance of different physical locations for your accounts?
Just wondering how Videotron did this for you.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to maxz

MVM

to maxz
I save the morals for whichever deity / deities you pray to... I'm more interested in the 5W1H.

So if I have this right, what you want is say provider X has 4 netblocks A.A.A.A, B.B.B.B, C.C.C.C, and D.D.D.D, to assign
to you, you want it to give you an address from each of the four blocks? eg. A.A.A.15, B.B.B.247, C.C.C.145, and D.D.D.83.

If so, you're likely flat out of luck; again read up on what route summarization is and why providers use it.

Also, as a home service, I'm not aware of many providers that would do that. You're moving into business account territory,
with the associated 4figure starting price and contracts.

My 00000010bits

Regards

maxz
@69.165.214.x

maxz

Anon

This would be what I am looking for.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to maxz

MVM

to maxz
Okay, so in CIDR parlance (as MacGuyver See Profile supplied) you want a /29 netblock. Far as I know, Teksavvy can do that for DSL but not cable.

Other trick is getting the gear to support such a config, but let's nail down the provider first.

Regards

maxz
@69.165.214.x

maxz

Anon

videotron provided me with another box/router/switch.

I am using VMware esx and have about 30 virtual machines, each using OpenVPN to connect through servers I rent to give me a different ip address. the rental per server is under 10$ a month.

when I go to a site like whatismyipaddress.com each virtual machine gives me a different ip address, whatever the ip address was given to me by videotron, then I just went into the properties to change it to static using the numbers videotron gave me. it was a business account, and it was not cheap but it worked nicely. I would like something similar and am wondering if there is anything else out there.

getting the gear to work will not be an issue, I can figure this out. I am not sure how the subnets work...

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook to maxz

Mod

to maxz
[quote maxz]
I needed them to play a certain game online where I was multi accounting. We are a few at home that play this game. we do not cheat, we just want to play as normal, but the site does not allow this.

Do you not see the contradiction in this that you wrote.

"we do not cheat ... but the site does not allow this" but you do it anyway?

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to maxz

Premium Member

to maxz
said by maxz :

videotron provided me with another box/router/switch.

I am using VMware esx and have about 30 virtual machines, each using OpenVPN to connect through servers I rent to give me a different ip address. the rental per server is under 10$ a month.

when I go to a site like whatismyipaddress.com each virtual machine gives me a different ip address, whatever the ip address was given to me by videotron, then I just went into the properties to change it to static using the numbers videotron gave me. it was a business account, and it was not cheap but it worked nicely. I would like something similar and am wondering if there is anything else out there.

getting the gear to work will not be an issue, I can figure this out. I am not sure how the subnets work...

Look elsewhere, TSI can do that for DSL, but not for Cable, long story, thousands of threads...no static IPness availability for Cable.

oceros37
join:2013-07-20
St Thomas, ON

1 recommendation

oceros37

said by nitzguy:

IPness availability

Available in an Apple store near you, 2nd quarter 2015.
HELLFIRE
MVM

HELLFIRE to maxz

MVM

to maxz
said by maxz :

I am not sure how the subnets work...

Subnets are simply smaller networks within a main addressing scheme for the purposes of a) organization and/or
b) (more) efficient address utilization.

Case in point, say you have a x.x.x.x 255.0.0.0.0 network (/8 in CIDR notation).

For point a), usually what you'll see is you have X sites, and for the purposes of being able to tell which
site has what network(s), you assign A block to A site, B block to B site, and C block to C site.

For point b), say in that same /8 network, you have a point to point link to address (/30). Subnetting lets
you more efficiently address this link than if you were to use a classful addressing scheme.

That's the 50K view, if you want to know more, look up "how to subnet" on your searchengine of choice.

My 00000010bits

Regards
dmitry_tek
join:2010-01-14

dmitry_tek to Vinch

to Vinch
said by Vinch:

You won't be able to get multiple addresses on cable through Teksavvy.

Alternatives include using some kind of vpn service or switching to DSL.

Actually, you can. At least on rCable you can get two dynamic ip addresses. I've done it with a switch and two different computers plugged in to that switch.

smogers
@108.170.167.x

smogers to maxz

Anon

to maxz
said by maxz :

The above would be a subnet.

kevinds
Premium Member
Calgary, AB

kevinds to maxz

Premium Member

to maxz
said by maxz :

The 69.165.215.208/29 subnet would give you

.208 and .215 may not be usable depending on how you set it up.. But that is a subnet

Videotron would have given you a subnet, but, 208 is the subnet address, they controlled the 209 for your default gateway, and .216 for the broadcast address (I have a /29 done this way)

Or they used .1 for the default gateway and just assigned you a few IPs from a large subnet

-Or just could have increased the DHCP addresses on your modem, and you could pull that many random addresses

maxz
@69.165.214.x

maxz to sbrook

Anon

to sbrook
yes sorry, I did not mean to make you cry. Im looking for tech help, not moral help.

thank you or the explanation of the subnet. I am looking at calling techsavvy and do a test. I will get a DSL modem from them. If it does not work, I will keep my cable modem and pass off the new dsl modem to my mom.

Thank you for all the help guys!

Max

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

I just question giving you technical answers to do what you want when the site you're using doesn't want you doing multiple users from the same place.
Cloneman
join:2002-08-29
Montreal

3 edits

Cloneman to sbrook

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

[quote maxz]
I needed them to play a certain game online where I was multi accounting. We are a few at home that play this game. we do not cheat, we just want to play as normal, but the site does not allow this.

Do you not see the contradiction in this that you wrote.

"we do not cheat ... but the site does not allow this" but you do it anyway?

It really bothers me when someone questions someone else's moral or legal objectives, especially in a 1-line comment in passing like you just did.

The game only allows 1 connection per IP. So his family members can't play at the same time as him. Maybe it's true. Maybe it's a story he made up because wants to cheat and play with 5 bots on his computer. Why do you even care? It's none of your business.

You have absolutely no stake in the outcome, nor do you have any idea what precisely he is doing. You might have hunch that he's trying to cheat or go around rules at a video game. That gives you the right to ask for more information , if you care to comment all. As is now, you're obstructing constructive support.

I don't care about the OP's issue but I'm tired of everyone sticking their nose in everyone else's business on assumptions at the high cost of providing useful advice and support.

I'm not targeting you specifically, but just this kind of behavior. In b4 someone says I'm going too far? Well, that's how I roll. Service providers, and customer service providers (which includes volunteers on a internet forum) need to know their place and not let suspicions and prejudices damage the delivery of useful information.

It's 12 years on this forum and I'm really getting irritated at the mix of ignorance and arrogance that seems to float around 20% of the posts/replies.
Expand your moderator at work

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5 to maxz

Premium Member

to maxz

Re: Multiple public IP addresses

I'm still wishing TSI would provide some sort of VPN tunnel where we can login to our PPP accounts over Cable, allowing us to have our same DSL static IP addresses without requiring DSL.
I would pay $5/mo for this service, and likely buy a /30 along with it. I am going to be in the situation where I can only get Cable (until the CRTC pulls head from ass and provides FTTH tariffs) and I need a static IP so I can run my services from home like I currently been doing the last 7 years.