join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

1 recommendation

sbrook to Cloneman

Mod

to Cloneman

Re: Multiple public IP addresses

Cloneman,

Fair comment ... but on the flip side, do we give people help on how to break the law or when they try to violate this site's no hacking modems rule? Of course we don't. So there's a line of acceptability. The thing is... just where is that line.

I think, in this case, that it's because he openly stated that the gaming people don't want him doing what he's trying to do and that he showed a clear lack of understanding of what he was trying to achieve.

If he had said the game server had a technical limitation of 1 user per IP as opposed to one user per household or even omitted the not permitted thing, then I wouldn't have made such comment.

maxz
@69.165.214.x

maxz to Cloneman

Anon

to Cloneman
thanks cloneman!

Max
reiyu
join:2014-01-08
North York, ON

reiyu to maxz

to maxz
IPv6 will save you soon.

PlatooN
join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON

PlatooN to maxz

to maxz
quick ... everyone try really hard to think of an online game that refuses to allow multi connections from a single IP address .....

yeah that's what I thought.
vzm
join:2013-04-15
Ottawa, ON

vzm to maxz

to maxz
if you just want some cheap ip's you could get a server from online.net for €9.99/~$14.41 and €1.99/~$2.87 a month per additional ip
reiyu
join:2014-01-08
North York, ON

reiyu to PlatooN

to PlatooN
said by PlatooN:

quick ... everyone try really hard to think of an online game that refuses to allow multi connections from a single IP address .....

yeah that's what I thought.

guild wars used to do this. not sure if they still do that now.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook to maxz

Mod

to maxz
So? This game apparently does ... although for what reason, we don't know.

Perhaps they've had people in a single home use the ability to chat locally to gang up on another user or otherwise see it as an unfair advantage.

But the point is that they have apparently chosen to not allow it.

Just because some jurisidctions allow things like drugs doesn't mean it is or should be legal everywhere.

maxz
@69.165.214.x

maxz

Anon

you are correct. and they will not say anything if all players have a different ip address too.

sbrook
Mod
Ottawa

sbrook

Mod

If they have different IP addresses, they can't prove you're all at the same address.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to maxz

Premium Member

to maxz
said by maxz :

you are correct. and they will not say anything if all players have a different ip address too.

If the admins/owner is awake, a /29 won't help you. Consecutive ip's connecting will tell the story you don't want told.