Premium Member
join:2013-03-10
Zubrowka USA

PX Eliezer1 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues

Re: Staples to close 140 stores in U.S. and Canada this year

said by elwoodblues:

I can't recall ever seeing a packed Staples, except on Boxing day if they have a really really good deal.

Around the first week of school, it's quite crowded.

TigerLord

join:2002-06-09
Canada

TigerLord to jaberi

to jaberi
Staples is my go-to place when I want to buy items that I am sure will be overpriced and likely not in stock.

Seriously, I don't even get how they're still in business.

Their online website sucks, you're assured you will never get the best price when you shop there, and they have a small selection of products.

All my basic office supply needs are satisfied by Costco, and when you need something more specialized, Uline or any other specialized store will be better than Staples.

I guess school shoppers still haven't figured that out and keep Staples alive somehow.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

3 edits

bbbc to jaberi

to jaberi
Staples especially sucks in Canada, there's no competition. Office Depot pulled out a couple of years ago.

As far as paper, I worship any Kirkland paper product I buy from Costco. I remember seeing a special on the tube on how Costco puts its paper products through the wringer. I always buy that 500 sheet 24lb computer paper from Costco, »www.costco.com/Xerox-Pre ··· 852.html .

Costco Business Centers are far and few between and only in the Western States. I'm like a kid in a candy store exploring the biz merchandise Costco Business Centers offer. Costco Business Centers facts - »02ea98a.netsolhost.com/p ··· heet.pdf . The closest Costco Business Center to Canada (Vancouver) is in Lynnwood, Washington, which isn't a bad drive (2 hours) if you are already going down there.

I guess once you hit Costco Business Center, then you'll be forced to go by the Fry's Electronics in Renton, Washington.
jaberi
join:2010-08-13

jaberi

not everyone buys ink and cartridges....they had good chairs, desks, phones.... and not everyone cares for the big box stores and their inconvenient location.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc

said by jaberi :

nd not everyone cares for the big box stores and their inconvenient location.

You crack me up, Staples in the largest office retailer in the world. Your precious Staples pays and treats its employees like poo. As far as big box stores, I'd rather support Costco who pays and treats their employees better than 99.9% of the corporate retailers, including Staples - »www.forbes.com/sites/ric ··· pay-for/ .

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
If my local Staples closed, I would miss the handy e-recycling drop off, but not much else.
jaberi

jaberi to bbbc

to bbbc
a matter of convenience is a loss to someone who doesn't have the privilege shopping in the big box store.

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to sm5w2

to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

Don'tcha just love this economic recovery we're having? Especially in the states? (I read about it all the time on zerohedge).

Yeah actually

sm5w2
Premium Member
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON

sm5w2 to Thane_Bitter

Premium Member

to Thane_Bitter
> Target really missed the target ...
> This location was a Zellers...

Is that the Westmount location?

Where the Starbucks inside the Target probably does more business than Target itself (from the highschool kids across the street - go figure...) ?
sm5w2

sm5w2 to shaner

Premium Member

to shaner
> Retail has changed. Companies that went all in on Brick and
> Mortar are going to suffer

Tell that to the retail outfit out of Toronto that wants to trash a natural wetland here in London - to build a so-called factory outlet wasteland next to the 401.

Because we don't have enough vacant retail space yet.
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned) to jaberi

to jaberi
Personally I love staples. Order online by 9am usually delivered same day by 3pm

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
The problem many traditional retailers have is if they can't touch it, see it and stand in it, they don't believe it's real.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by shaner:

The problem many traditional retailers have is if they can't touch it, see it and stand in it, they don't believe it's real.

i had an interesting experience from Indigo (Chapters)...saw a book online i wanted, and heard it was 50% off...$58, but $29 online...that was a good deal...i didn't want to wait a week and figured i'd support the store people, so i went to the actual store as it is only about 3 km from my house...get there, find the book but didn't see any mention of it being on sale...i asked the girl that the book was $29 online and asked if the sale price comes up at the register...she said that price was only for online purchases...wtf??...then why even bother with the stupid store???

pissed me off that i wasted my gas and time going to the store...close the damn thing already...it serves no point other than to staff it with pretentious book smart University students and Starbucks drinkers...if it wasn't such a good deal, i'd have purchased the book elsewhere out of spite.
jaberi

jaberi to Doonz

to Doonz
said by Doonz:

Personally I love staples. Order online by 9am usually delivered same day by 3pm

Doonz how much do you pay for delivery?
Doonz (banned)
join:2010-11-27
Beaumont, AB

Doonz (banned)

said by jaberi:

said by Doonz:

Doonz how much do you pay for delivery?

Free if its more than 75 bux

cpsycho
join:2008-06-03
Treadeu Land

cpsycho to jaberi

to jaberi
Well, when I go there yesterday to get a 6' hdmi to dvi cable and they want $60 for the damn thing no wonder. I drove 150 km's to a store there and back to by 16 bucks for one, $15 + $16 cheaper then $60.

Staples relies on older folks that are afraid to use online shopping and people who don't know better.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

Why would anyone go to Staples to buy something like that? Hell, The Source would probably have been a better choice.

donoreo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON

2 recommendations

donoreo to cpsycho

Premium Member

to cpsycho
said by cpsycho:

Well, when I go there yesterday to get a 6' hdmi to dvi cable and they want $60 for the damn thing no wonder. I drove 150 km's to a store there and back to by 16 bucks for one, $15 + $16 cheaper then $60.

Staples relies on older folks that are afraid to use online shopping and people who don't know better.

I think dollarama now has the 6' HDMI cables.
NCRGuy
join:2008-03-03
Ottawa, ON

NCRGuy to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by shaner:

i had an interesting experience from Indigo (Chapters)...saw a book online i wanted, and heard it was 50% off...$58, but $29 online...that was a good deal...i didn't want to wait a week and figured i'd support the store people, so i went to the actual store as it is only about 3 km from my house...get there, find the book but didn't see any mention of it being on sale...i asked the girl that the book was $29 online and asked if the sale price comes up at the register...she said that price was only for online purchases...wtf??...then why even bother with the stupid store???

pissed me off that i wasted my gas and time going to the store...close the damn thing already...it serves no point other than to staff it with pretentious book smart University students and Starbucks drinkers...if it wasn't such a good deal, i'd have purchased the book elsewhere out of spite.

You're pissed off at Chapters because you can't read? Their website is pretty clear about online sale prices being for online.

As to why the stores still exist: a) people want things on the spot; b) people don't want to pay shipping; c) people like to browse; etc...

No doubt there are fewer stores, as there should be, but there is still demand for physical locations. And just as there are online only sales, there are also in store only sales.
mr weather
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

On-line purchases are fine if you have time to plan it. But if you need something right now you have no choice but to go to a physical store. For that simple reason there will always be a demand for bricks-and-mortar.
mr weather

mr weather to donoreo

Premium Member

to donoreo
said by donoreo:

I think dollarama now has the 6' HDMI cables.

They're probably okay to use but I haven't been 100% happy. I had one that kept giving me HDCP errors and another whose connector pulled away from the cable.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR to PX Eliezer1

to PX Eliezer1
said by PX Eliezer1:

said by elwoodblues:

I can't recall ever seeing a packed Staples, except on Boxing day if they have a really really good deal.

Around the first week of school, it's quite crowded.

I remember walking out of a Staples a few years ago. It was overflowing with parents and their kids. But usually it's not very busy - not that I go there often enough to really have a good sample though.

g121
play lordsgame com | Phone Cops are real
join:2004-05-28
Toronto
Hitron CODA-4680
Asus RT-AC86
Grandstream HT812

g121 to mr weather

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

They've sold overpriced coffee, filters and bottled water for as long as I can remember. But now they're selling pop and chocolate bars too.

hmmm .. Staples is my go-to place to get my Tassimo coffee pods .. their price is significantly cheaper than anywhere else around me ..

cheers from Toronto ..

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium Member
join:2005-01-20

Thane_Bitter to sm5w2

Premium Member

to sm5w2
No it was the Masonville location, that part of the mall is on the back side away from the two main roads so its out of the way, I think most patrons of "burn coffee" would go to the location in the Indigo store, easier to get to, better atmosphere, outdoor seating area, and lots of stuff to read.
puzz1ed
join:2005-02-20
Markham, ON

puzz1ed to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

then why even bother with the stupid store???

I bought a book cheaper online and had it sent to the store free for pickup!
jaberi

jaberi to shaner

to shaner
said by shaner:

agreed!
Sukunai
Premium Member
join:2008-05-07

Sukunai to jaberi

Premium Member

to jaberi
Stores don't exist as a reason to invent work for the workforce.

The internet, for all the 'good' we say it does, doesn't always do good for everyone though.

But like as was mentioned, there are a LOT of people that impulse buy and that means they expect to wander through a brick and mortar location.

I've seen plenty of store online sites that simply suck too.

I'd miss our town's Staples. But the nice local operation that does the same services wouldn't miss them.

Big Box might simply have plateaued for all we know.
mr weather
Premium Member
Mississauga, ON

mr weather

Premium Member

said by Sukunai:

Big Box might simply have plateaued for all we know.

Wouldn't surprise me. There are only so many 75,000 square foot monster stores that can be supported by the market.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to NCRGuy

Premium Member

to NCRGuy
said by NCRGuy:
You're pissed off at Chapters because you can't read? Their website is pretty clear about online sale prices being for online.
the website site said the prices may vary in store...it didn't say that it wasn't a different price, nor did it specify which items may or may not be the same or different price...the general wording is very vague and not specific.
quote:
As to why the stores still exist: a) people want things on the spot; b) people don't want to pay shipping; c) people like to browse; etc...
i can understand the "browse" aspect, but browsing doesn't pay the bills...shipping on the book was free and it was delivered in 2 days, so you'd pretty much have to be in an emergency to have the book at that very second to pay the premium to buy it in store.
quote:
No doubt there are fewer stores, as there should be, but there is still demand for physical locations. And just as there are online only sales, there are also in store only sales.

it appears the physical locations are just there to piss you off and provide a negative customer experience...a fail in any business model.