Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

Internet Explorer memory usage keeps increasing

Click for full size
I have a problem where the memory usage of Internet Explorer keeps getting larger on my laptop until it slows down and freezes. I'm presently running IE11 but have tried it on IE10 and IE9 with the same results. The attached picture shows taken from Process Explorer shows what I'm talking about.

My system specs are as follow:
Toshiba laptop with fourth-generation i3 processor, 16 GB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive, Windows 7x64 home premium. The only software that is open most the time (and when the occurrence picture it happened) Dragon NaturallySpeaking, Microsoft Outlook, IE, IR command (a remote control software) and MagicJack VoIP telephone.

therube
join:2004-11-11
Randallstown, MD

therube

What is "symres:C:\Progra..." ?

So something "symantec" related it looks like.

Doing anything in particular when your mem usage ramps up?

If you disable the Symantec program (perhaps through Addons in IE ?) & restart (perhaps IE only, perhaps the OS?) does the problem persist?
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder to Msradell

to Msradell
When did this start happening?

If it's recent you may be experiencing the problem listed here?

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2991509

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell to therube

Premium Member

to therube
said by therube:

What is "symres:C:\Progra..." ?

So something "symantec" related it looks like.

Doing anything in particular when your mem usage ramps up?

If you disable the Symantec program (perhaps through Addons in IE ?) & restart (perhaps IE only, perhaps the OS?) does the problem persist?

I'm not sure exactly what that file is but I'm sure it's part of Norton Internet Security that I'm running on my system. I've turned it off for extended periods of time but the problem still exists. I'm not doing anything particular that I can think of when the memory usage ramps up. Sometimes I've been just browsing the forums for an extended period of time when it happens.
Msradell

Msradell to Zoder

Premium Member

to Zoder
said by Zoder:

When did this start happening?

If it's recent you may be experiencing the problem listed here?

»support.microsoft.com/kb/2991509

it's been happening for several months now but appears to be getting somewhat worse. That Microsoft solution doesn't have a date on it, do you know when it was issued? I'm downloading and installing it now, it certainly won't hurt!
Zoder
join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL

Zoder

The first cumulative update that is causing the issue was released July 8.

Msradell
Premium Member
Louisville, KY

Msradell

Premium Member

I believe the problem started before that but I just finished installing the update anyway so we will see what happens.

norwegian
Premium Member
join:2005-02-15
Outback

norwegian

Premium Member

Try disabling all add-ons and see if it is duplicated.

Now, to date looking at that image, you have as plug-ins:
Office/Spell Check
Java (Has this been uninstalled, using the removal tool, rebooted, computer run, then installed fresh)
Symantec (Has it been uninstalled with the removal tool ,rebooted run, then installed fresh?)

You might have as add-ons:
Research (IE/Microsoft add-on)
Tracking lists
Flash (Has this been removed with the removal tool, rebooted, installed fresh?)
Shockwave
An email client
Windows Live
The list goes on for add-ons/plug-ins.

At least half of these have caused known issues with IE.
(Let's not go into details of which and how, or when - it won't give you an answer).

--------------

Now to add, you might have a hosts' file, IE immunization etc via A/V and/or third party software.
IE protected mode itself could be something to look at.
Have you tried fully resetting IE to default in the IE9, 10, 11 installs and tests?
Does it replicate when browsing the computer with the saved history web pages of IE while off line with no network connection or Internet connection at all?
(That is make sure you have IE set to save and view web pages off-line)

These are just a few things I'd look at.