I hate smartassery on forums
Premium
join:2005-05-02
us
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

My Home Network

Click for full size
The coax was already in place, i added a 66 block because i had a spare one and did all my punch downs here.
Click for full size
568B standard on every drop
Click for full size
24 port hp switch for all the devices in the house. 4 vlans exist here
Click for full size
The coax was already in place, i added a 66 block because i had a spare one and did all my punch downs here. I have FIOS which i
Click for full size
1200W UPS for all the gear
This was a rush job in my new house, yes the cabling is a mess but i will fix it all one day . Oddly enough when i snapped that pic of the xenservers & the san all the network LED's weren't blinking right then what timing. I have a bond setup 4 NIC's and LACP on the hp switch.
--
Think Ahead. Learn More. Solve Now!

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Socket Internet ..

1 recommendation

For the love of all things sacred, reterminate the keystones properly... I'm suprised you even have a link over that ... termination...

It's hard to tell, is the 66 being used for telco or ethernet? I know some 66 blocks are cat5 rated, but it's still not recommended to use 66 blocks for ethernet.

That NAS looks cool.
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

Modus
Premium
us
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
its not as bad as it looks. Anyway i plan to replace it with this one day »www.tigerdirect.com/applications···csid=_61

Modus
Premium
us
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Modus
Click for full size
My tv, xbox & mac mini
Click for full size
my desk
Some more pics of my man / nerd cave

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24
kudos:1
honestly other the desk area, it looks pretty ruff, alot of ways to make that a ton cleaner

alot of the network wiring is very rough too, why strip the cross diver so far back in the distribution panel?

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
reply to Modus
I really hope this is a joke...

The E
Please allow me to retort
Premium
join:2002-05-26
Burnaby, BC
Reviews:
·Shaw

2 recommendations

Hey, not everyone is going to have a top-notch, semi-professional setup. There are no "prerequisites" posted, so we're going to see everything.

Let's just be gracious and pass along some advice, without being condescending.
--
"All opinions stated by me are solely my views and do not reflect the views of my employer, this site, or even myself depending on my level of sanity at the moment"

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by The E:

Hey, not everyone is going to have a top-notch, semi-professional setup. There are no "prerequisites" posted, so we're going to see everything.

Let's just be gracious and pass along some advice, without being condescending.

With comments like that, I dread posting my lab. It's extraordinarily messy, because it's in constant use and always being changed.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
You looked ay mine right? its a total mess I doubt your's could be any worse.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
It's worse

alphapointe
Don't Touch Me
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-10
Columbia, MO
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to DarkLogix
A mess is one thing (mine ain't exactly pristine...), but having terminations that look like they were done by a drunk with a putty knife is something else again...
--
"When the hammer drops, the bullshit stops"

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

1 recommendation

reply to sk1939
said by sk1939:

It's worse

Prove it. Post it.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by DarkLogix:

said by sk1939:

It's worse

Prove it. Post it.

Done.

jeffmoss26

join:2002-07-22
Beachwood, OH
reply to Modus
I...um...that cabling...

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Modus
said by Modus:

network LED's weren't blinking right then

I bet!

Nice hardware and desk, regarding the switch has HP finally dumped their use of Java for the web gui?

FYI when you get around to re-terminating your Ethernet cables terminate using 568A rather than "B"; B termination is outmoded and the TIA/EIA have adopted the use of "A" termination for infrastructure wiring. Punch down tools are great, not only does it drive the conductor into the comb correctly most have a integrated blade that nips off the excess leaving a clean and secure termination. Wiremold (owned by Legrand) offers a myriad of surface mount conduit solutions to hide (or at least organize and reduce clutter) wall/floor/cleing cabling; ether for temporary installation or permanent.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by Thane_Bitter:

TIA/EIA have adopted the use of "A" termination for infrastructure wiring.

Please cite some proof of this.

electrically as long as both ends are the same there isn't an advantage of one over the other and B has been far more common in my experience.
--
semper idem
1KTzRMxN1a2ATrtAAvbmEnMBoY3E2kHtyv

LittleBill

join:2013-05-24
A is never used here. even store bought cables are B here
--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by LittleBill:

A is never used here. even store bought cables are B here

Same here, I only ever see A when its a Telco made cable and they said they do it to be different so they can more often tell its one they made.

said by LittleBill:

--
There's no place like 127.0.0.1

What about ::1 (looks a lot like 127.0.0.1 to me)
--
semper idem

BusyProgramm

join:2013-04-20
reply to DarkLogix
According to »www.bnoack.com/index.html?http&&···AT5.html they've nixed both A and B in favor of C. The color codes are the same as A, and B is explicitly deprecated.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to DarkLogix
Yes B is most common and it makes sense since it is a carbon copy of one of AT&Ts telephone wiring standards (AT&T 258A), given that most datacom wiring was/is installed by current/former telecommunications workers you can see why its so wide spread. In the past version of the standard, "A" was specified for horizontal cabling. I think the confusing bit came about because "B" termination is common, the previous document standard was called 568B even though it called for "A" termination.

When used in traditional fashion, there is no functional difference between patch cords with T568A or T568B wiring schemes. Both wiring schemes are acceptable in network topologies, and are essentially interchangeable. T568A is the default wiring scheme in ANSI/TIA-568-C.2, with T568B listed as being optional. ANSI/TIA-568-C.2,
is the most popular wiring scheme in modern installations. T568B is also consistent with the older AT&T 258A wiring scheme that many installers are already accustomed to. The US Government has standardized on T568A. It is the required wiring scheme for all government installations and in all performance categories. »www.panduit.com/heiler/Technical···UIDE.pdf

The actual standard which can by bought for as little as 900 bucks spells out a bit more detail however in a nutshell if you have "B" wiring you should stick with it since mixing cabling terminations introduces needless complexity when troubleshooting, or put more simply "B" for existing, "A" for all new. »global.ihs.com/doc_detail.cfm?it···00378460

LittleBill See Profile, patch cables are not the same thing as infrastructure wiring, I am sure there are countless installations in offices, homes and datacenters in which for lack of a budget, equipment or training has strung that stuff through the walls. Patch cable uses stranded copper for each conductor, it makes the cable more flexible (along with a typically highly flammable vinyl outer jacket) and also makes it unsuitable for infrastructure wiring. Few if any of the commercial made keystones, patch panels are even rated or tested to accept stranded conductors. The soft pliable material jacket is flammable and toxic when burns, whereas the bulk cable you see put into walls and such has varying degrees of fire retardants and must past certain combustion tests. FYI plenum rated cable is the least likely to burn, burns slowly and gives off the least amount of toxic fumes which is important when cable is installed into the air space in commercial buildings (the area above the drop ceilings are an extension of the HVAC system ductwork). Since much of these patch cables originate from our dear friends in China one should be please if the ends just don't fall off on there own.

And to address BusyProgramm See Profile's link the joy of these standards is thanks to another ANSI standard they will be updated every five years so look forward to "568D" coming out in a few years. So "C" is the new "A" which is the same old "A", and "B" termination is still around because nobody has the budget to rip out trillions of terminations just because some committee has a five year make-work-project.

IMHO, electrically speaking, "A" or "B" amounts to the same functionality, one could draw a parallel to how the paper comes out of a toilet paper dispenser, so long as it is there, it works and there is enough of it for the job at hand is the primary concern for most people. It either works or you have a lot of shit on your hands.

I think that covers all the questions, if I missed one let me know.

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by Thane_Bitter:

Could always go into why people could use Cat5e instead of Cat6.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to BusyProgramm
said by BusyProgramm:

According to »www.bnoack.com/index.html?http&&···AT5.html they've nixed both A and B in favor of C. The color codes are the same as A, and B is explicitly deprecated.

That doesn't look like a site I'd trust.
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

(the area above the drop ceilings might be an extension of the HVAC system ductwork, so unless you know the specific HVAC system its best to assume it is.).

FTFY
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to sk1939
said by sk1939:

said by Thane_Bitter:

Well cat5e is capable of gig, cat6 is capable of short range 10gig, cat6a/e is capable of full length 10gig, cat7 is beast mode 10gig
--
semper idem

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Thane_Bitter
said by Thane_Bitter:

because nobody has the budget to rip out trillions of terminations just because some committee has a five year make-work-project.

Ya so long as the pairs are lined up you could swap the blue for brown but you'd have to do it on all terminations to avoid craziness.

you know I could imagine some government facility paying to change the terminations on all the keystone jacks (and replacing the jacks as many don't give consistent re-terminations, as once used may have the teeth spread ever so little causing repeated termination to eventually cause them to not make good contact.)

but anything but the B standard is just busy work meant to waste time and money.
--
semper idem

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to DarkLogix
said by DarkLogix:

said by sk1939:

said by Thane_Bitter:

Well cat5e is capable of gig, cat6 is capable of short range 10gig, cat6a/e is capable of full length 10gig, cat7 is beast mode 10gig

Partially right, the only difference between 5e and 6 (other than frequency and standard) is that you can do 10gig for 10m more on Cat6 (55 vs 45m). If your doing 10Gig you'd be better off with 6a anyways so you can reach the full 100m. Note that because it works doesn't mean that it's certified (Cat6 is certified for Gigabit for example, whereas Cat5e is not).

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
said by sk1939:

Partially right, the only difference between 5e and 6 (other than frequency and standard) is that you can do 10gig for 10m more on Cat6 (55 vs 45m). If your doing 10Gig you'd be better off with 6a anyways so you can reach the full 100m. Note that because it works doesn't mean that it's certified (Cat6 is certified for Gigabit for example, whereas Cat5e is not).

plain cat5 is only cert for 100

Um 5 is not cert for Gig 5E is
»compnetworking.about.com/od/ethe···bles.htm

5E was added just to support gig

6 was added in hopes of supporting some not yet created spec which is why it can't do 10gig and isn't special for gig ether.

6a was created because they realized that 6 couldn't do 10gig properly.

7 was created before 6a as a way to do 10gig in a way of toss all the shielding at it (IE each pair is shielded and the whole cable is too.)
--
semper idem

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by DarkLogix:

said by sk1939:

6 was added in hopes of supporting some not yet created spec which is why it can't do 10gig and isn't special for gig ether.

7 was created before 6a as a way to do 10gig in a way of toss all the shielding at it (IE each pair is shielded and the whole cable is too.)

5e is not certified for Gigabit, 6 is.

pb2k

join:2005-05-30
Calgary, AB
Reviews:
·TELUS
said by sk1939:

said by DarkLogix:

said by sk1939:

5e is not certified for Gigabit, 6 is.

Uh, no. Properly terminated cat5e does gigabit just fine. From what I've seen, most cables even exceed the cat5e spec giving more than enough headroom for gigabit at 100M (although I call BS on the ones claiming 350mhz).

sk1939
Premium
Mclean, VA
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

said by pb2k:

Uh, no. Properly terminated cat5e does gigabit just fine. From what I've seen, most cables even exceed the cat5e spec giving more than enough headroom for gigabit at 100M (although I call BS on the ones claiming 350mhz).

Read what I wrote, not what you thought I wrote. I said Gigabit WORKS over Cat5e just fine, but it is not CERTIFIED for gigabit. There is a difference there.