Premium Member
join:2012-02-20
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

[CustSvc] Do they or DON'T they record calls?

Like many businesses, Comcast announces that "... your call MAY be recorded for quality purposes" -- or something similar. Key word is "may". Yet many complaints relate to not being able to have their call "pulled" for review.

So - my nosy question is: does anyone in the know actually know if Comcast does, in fact, record ALL calls ? My personal suspicion is "no"; otherwise there would be fewer colorful metaphors being uttered by some of the phone people.

Thanks.

nadams5755
join:2001-11-13
San Jose, CA

nadams5755

more than likely, during the beginning/coaching/training sessions, yes. they are recorded or a coach is listening in.

otherwise, i imagine the CSR will mark a call to be recorded if they feel it's an issue that needs recording (threatening to the company or individual).

FureverFurry
RIP Daphne: 3/12/05 - 6/19/12
Premium Member
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

said by nadams5755:

otherwise, i imagine the CSR will mark a call to be recorded if they feel it's an issue that needs recording (threatening to the company or individual).

That's what I suspect as well. I do feel badly for the folks who presume ALL calls are recorded and they will have proof of this/that/something else.

camper
just visiting this planet
Premium Member
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT

camper to nadams5755

Premium Member

to nadams5755
said by nadams5755:

otherwise, i imagine the CSR will mark a call to be recorded if they feel it's an issue that needs recording

When I've called, I was always told before the CSR came on line that the call would be recorded.

I'm not sure how the CSR can mark a call to be recorded after the conversation has already started, unless the CSR interrupts the conversation to inform the customer that the call is being recorded from that point onward...

Inflex
join:2002-09-05

Inflex to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
Yes, they will record all calls. When you call anyone and they say you may be recorded, that means you WILL be recorded.

Anecdotal evidence:

I work in IT in the healthcare industry. We record every call.

My Daughter is a customer service auditor in the financial services industry. They record every call.

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

Respectfully, I beg to differ. Healthcare and banking are two separate industries wherein calls ARE recorded. I worked tech support for an eCommerce company; the saying was the calls MAY be recorded but were not unless there were threats. Ditto for my local gas/electric companies who do NOT record calls (just "may"); as well as with my cell phone provider.

I do know that a compounding pharmacy states the calls ARE recorded (and they are) but the verbiage is just that: the calls ARE recorded; not that they 'may' be recorded.

No offense.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

camper

Premium Member

Looking at this from a different angle, wouldn't it be easier to just record every call, and not require the CSR to determine whether or not a call should be recorded?

The amount of disk space needed to record a call is minimal, and the recording does not need to be kept for an extended period of time unless there is a reason to do so.

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

1 recommendation

RARPSL to camper

to camper
said by camper:

said by nadams5755:

otherwise, i imagine the CSR will mark a call to be recorded if they feel it's an issue that needs recording

When I've called, I was always told before the CSR came on line that the call would be recorded.

I'm not sure how the CSR can mark a call to be recorded after the conversation has already started, unless the CSR interrupts the conversation to inform the customer that the call is being recorded from that point onward...

You have the idea backwards. The calls are recorded but the CSR has the option to flag the call as "Keep This Call". If they do not, then the recorded call is purged.

camper
Premium Member
Bethel, CT

1 recommendation

camper

Premium Member

said by RARPSL:

You have the idea backwards. The calls are recorded but the CSR has the option to flag the call as "Keep This Call"...

Ahhh... that makes more sense.

thx

hortnut
Huh?
join:2005-09-25
PDX Metro

hortnut to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

Like many businesses, Comcast announces that "... your call MAY be recorded for quality purposes" -- or something similar. Key word is "may". Yet many complaints relate to not being able to have their call "pulled" for review.

So - my nosy question is: does anyone in the know actually know if Comcast does, in fact, record ALL calls ? My personal suspicion is "no"; otherwise there would be fewer colorful metaphors being uttered by some of the phone people.

Thanks.

I assume that all calls are recorded. I assume that a 1st Tier Support or even 2nd Tier Support does not have the ability to access the recording. Same with their Supervisor and onsite Manager.

Especially since many calls are handled by third party companies and therefore outsourced.

I base this on my work experience as a CSR in 5-6 different Industries where I took on short term assignments of only 4-9 months on purpose. And the CRM software was usually so cumbersome it was difficult to see what the prior CSR had documented.

One Industry I know for certain that recorded all calls and which also included screen shots, was one of the Big Three Auto Manufactures. They considered all interactions as a Legal Document.

At the turn of the Century, while at a Major Telco ISP, we did have a 'button' to press if the Customer start to go off the rails and became threatening in any matter. That would alert Supervisors and start a special Recording Session. Used it a few times when there was a threat of Violence to people or Infrastructure. Those went up the chain of command for investigation.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer to camper

Premium Member

to camper
said by camper:

Looking at this from a different angle, wouldn't it be easier to just record every call, and not require the CSR to determine whether or not a call should be recorded?

The amount of disk space needed to record a call is minimal, and the recording does not need to be kept for an extended period of time unless there is a reason to do so.

One reason not to record every call might be because a recorded call can be obtained by a court order. That is something that some companies, agencies and organizations do not necessarily want.

If Richard Nixon were still alive, you could ask him about the inconvenience of having recordings of conversations being made available to investigators and to the public.

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry to RARPSL

Premium Member

to RARPSL
said by RARPSL:

You have the idea backwards. The calls are recorded but the CSR has the option to flag the call as "Keep This Call". If they do not, then the recorded call is purged.

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense . Also accounts for those "promises" that are miraculously not available via call retrieval.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

They record every call. Good luck trying to find anyone with the security clearance to retrieve any call tho.
rendrenner
join:2005-09-03
Grandville, MI

rendrenner to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
All the call centers in the mitten have the calls recorded for inbound calls. Most of the 3rd party call centers to not have the calls recorded. Im not sure how long they are retained, but they are quickly retrievable using an account number and time of the call. They can be used for verification and coaching. Calls can be pulled for customer escalations, but Ive never heard of the call being shared with a customer. Calls from techs into their dispatch are recorded as well

RARPSL
join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY

RARPSL to camper

to camper
said by camper:

said by RARPSL:

You have the idea backwards. The calls are recorded but the CSR has the option to flag the call as "Keep This Call"...

Ahhh... that makes more sense.

thx

Note - I am not saying that this is the way it works but only the way it COULD/SHOULD work.

There are a number of situations that work this way. You record and then delete unless there is something that needs to be saved.

Think of the Dash-Cam on a Police Car. It records the full tour. The footage of car chases and traffic stops are saved and the rest is thrown away.
RARPSL

RARPSL to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
said by FureverFurry:

said by RARPSL:

Yeah, that makes a ton of sense . Also accounts for those "promises" that are miraculously not available via call retrieval.

Note - I am not saying that they record every call. I was answering the question of how they can save a call that they want to if they do not start recording until something occurs that they want to record. My response to that scenario is to record everything and then decide if you want to keep or erase it.

FureverFurry
Premium Member
49xxx
Zoom 5341J
ARRIS WBM760
Vonage VDV-21

FureverFurry

Premium Member

said by RARPSL:

My response to that scenario is to record everything and then decide if you want to keep or erase it.

Sorry, I misunderstood :-(. I was kinda/sorta hoping someone here actually knew.

Pawsonally, I don't think they are -or the Save period is miniscule. Otherwise, think of all those folks who were promised things by the phone agent and would have proof. Of course, that doesn't mean CC would honor it, anyway .....

ContactCente
@98.226.37.x

ContactCente

Anon

100% call recording is the norm now, doesn't matter what industry.

It's been this way for several years now.

It's only "may" instead of "will be" because it's less ominous.

The amount of technology used in contact centers is actually getting a bit over the top - you can't get good service by installing software, as Comcast has hopefully come to realize. The training, procedures and pay for performance metrics can't be skewed towards one goal (sales) and not have the wheels come off eventually.
zifnab966
join:2014-06-18
united state

1 recommendation

zifnab966 to FureverFurry

to FureverFurry
When I worked there, they recorded X number of calls per week. That number changed a bit depending on what they were looking for, but for us generally hovered around 10% of your calls. If you figure that an average CSR does 40ish calls a day, probably 4-5 of those would have been recorded. I have no idea how it is now, though.

FormerEmploy
@107.155.113.x

FormerEmploy to FureverFurry

Anon

to FureverFurry
Every single call is recorded. The only thing is, for the most part, you can only listen to calls from your call center. If you work in a retention call center and want to listen to a customer's call from a rep who works in sales you wouldn't be able to do so (at least at the supervisor level). However, from the callbacks you could listen to I'd say about 80% of the customer's who say they were promised a free install or they weren't told about a certain charge, when you would go back and listen to those calls they were wrong. I'm not saying every one of those customer intentionally tried to get something free, they may just not have taken good notes or simply forgot about some of the charges but for the most part they were told correctly on the original call.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44

Premium Member

I agree, its for the most part not the customer trying to get something they are not entitled to. Its a matter of the csr viewing the situation different than the sub. A for instance is a question like can i use two modems. The answer is yes, one for phone and one for data. But the customer taking that as meaning two for data. Just to many dam variables when ordering the service. Thats why i like the fact now they quote the price with modem rent included.

My last promo i got i got the price and i asked how much the modem was going to cost. She said nothing. It wasnt nothing but the price she quoted included the modem rent so it wasnt anything above what she quoted me, but it was still a rental fee. If when the time came to pay my bill i didnt remember exactly what i was quoted i would have been WTF she said the modem rent was free.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to FureverFurry

Premium Member

to FureverFurry
Some of you have it way way off.

Having worked in quite a few call centers for different companies over the years.....

They record ALL calls. Reps have the ability at some to push a button on the phone to immediately have a sup or manager listen in (threatening, life in danger like heart attack, etc).

Most supervisors can pull calls as they coach reps constantly. Its how the bonus structure at a lot of them work (call quality/saves/upsells) and is how they base stats for said bonus schemes.

They do get purged every so often, not years but not every day. This varies company to company and depending on the nature of the company (banking keeps them longer than the telco who keeps them longer than the cable companies)