All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

SNOOPYXP_SP2
join:2000-05-25
Oakland, CA

SNOOPYXP_SP2 to dave

to dave

Re: Toner - Implications from Recycling as far as ID theft?

thanks to both of you. i feel so dumb. dave, just for clarification based on the toner that I showed you, there is no need to worry about the drum? BTW I printed tax returns and financial documents and don't want info floating around.
HarryH3
Premium Member
join:2005-02-21

HarryH3

Premium Member

Don't worry about it. Your info is FAR more likely to be grabbed from a bank, mortgage broker, car dealer, etc. that wants copies of your entire financial history for every transaction.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

The drum would probably give only fragments of the last copy if that.
Now old typwriter ribbons depending on if especially the nice one strike ones. But who uses typwriter ribbons anymore,
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

heh i remember those. It was like looking at one giant run on sentence.BTW while few use typewriters many do still use dot matrix and other impact printers. They are still the best way to do multiple copies at high speed. Many okidata printers have rates pushing 300+ ppm some very high end units can hit 900+ and create up to 6 copies in one print cycle.

Look at it this way a okidata 24 pin dot matrix printer with say 300 pagers per minute pumping out 6 carbon copies of each page is really pushing out 1800 pagers per minute. How many lazer printers or any other type can push out that many pages and be cost effective?

BTW i owned a 300ppm okidata model that did exactly that. And fixxed them dozens of times. They sound like a machine gun gone out of control lol.
davidhoffman
Premium Member
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA

davidhoffman

Premium Member

Many alarm monitor systems use dot matrix printers exclusively. I thought it was strange when they brought them in for the new fire alarm system at our building.

cableties
Premium Member
join:2005-01-27

cableties to nonymous

Premium Member

to nonymous
Um, the drum doesn't retain the last image. There is a detack mode, cleaning mode and cleaning charge before next pass. Since it has to have a static charge, there is likely no way to get the last page if powered off.
Toner is toxic (to breath in). Since it really is micro-sized iron with plastic coating, it is attracted to the charged areas, fuser melts it, any non-charged is wiped off, collected in cartridge to be used in next pass. Also, if you get toner on clothing, wash off with COLD water, never hot.
Copiers, and any newer mopiers may have a HDD internally for storing images. Those I would be concerned about if donating, scrapping, selling. Pull the HDD out. Destroy.
Nanaki (banned)
aka novaflare. pull punches? Na
join:2002-01-24
Akron, OH

Nanaki (banned)

I do know that toner drums can suffer burn in. I have seen lots of them with company letter head images visible on the drum. Normally some what smeared looking but readable and recognizable.I guess it is more a etching or staining than a burn in when it comes right down to it.But it is with out a doubt permanent.

First time i seen it was from some one who bought a used lazer printer and they had a ghost image of another companies letter head showing up. I looked at the unit and noted the drum had the stain on it. Pretty wild really. I would not hazard a guess how many 10s of 1000s of prints that thing did before it got like that.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to davidhoffman

Premium Member

to davidhoffman
said by davidhoffman:

Many alarm monitor systems use dot matrix printers exclusively. I thought it was strange when they brought them in for the new fire alarm system at our building.

Dot matrix printers are still the best suited for event logging type applications.

-can print one line at a time (unlike laser)
-printout is permanent and won't fade after it's printed (unlike thermal)
-no ink nozzles to clog up (unlike inkjet)