spc
Search similar:

uniqs
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

[Billing] Price Increase Notification

Anyone else seeings this or something similar?

cchhat01
Dr. Zoidberg
join:2001-05-01
Elmhurst, NY

cchhat01

gulp!
That's quite hard to swallow. How long have you been a FiOS customer?
ScrawnyB
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

July 2012, and I just upgraded from 50Mbps to 150Mbps and made some other plan changes. This finally appeared after that whole "you have been upgraded for free!" banner went away.
Myzteziz
join:2014-06-26
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz

Could be a pricing error. I'd ask them what it is. Are you under contract?
ScrawnyB
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

My account's all messed up at the moment for other reasons. I am not under contract because of that (had to go 50Mb to 150Mb to be able to get 75Mb, since I was on an older BPON ONT that couldnt go past 50Mb... long story).

I wonder if it's related to this: »October Price Increases

norm
join:2012-10-18
Pittsburgh, PA

norm to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
Verizon has to stay competitive somehow, right? I have the same message of a $7 increase under the my services page. As terrible as my picture quality has been and techs unable to fix my issue, I think it's time to look at either no TV or some sort of alternative. Yay macroblocking.
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
said by ScrawnyB:

My account's all messed up at the moment for other reasons. I am not under contract because of that (had to go 50Mb to 150Mb to be able to get 75Mb, since I was on an older BPON ONT that couldnt go past 50Mb... long story).

I wonder if this is going to be only in certain markets. I'm glad I'm under contract. $7 is a nice hike imo.
Driscollw
join:2003-01-11
Virginia Beach, VA

Driscollw to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
Yeah, I have this too. I just got a price increase a few months ago. 50/25@$92.99 now it's going to $99.99 and I have to run Netflix through a VPN to stop buffering.....something tells me this isn't right.
Tampa304
join:2009-02-05
No Display

1 edit

Tampa304 to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
Am getting the same message and am in Tampa,FL.

Am on 3/1 plan and already paying $35. Verizon is enticing me to join 50/50 with additional $10/month and I need to sign 2 year contract.
Driscollw
join:2003-01-11
Virginia Beach, VA

Driscollw

Man! They are charging us $67.99 a month w/2yr contract for 3/1, $72.99 off contract.
rChaz
join:2014-07-28
Hoboken, NJ

rChaz to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
said by ScrawnyB:

Nope, not that. I have internet-only, and I just received this $7 increase notice as well. I have the same banner as yours when I log into My Services. (Maybe it's to support their constant barrage of advertisements on TV & elsewhere?) I also received a paper bill which has the notice in the second page notes. It further states "If you have recently signed up for a new 2-year bundle agreement, you may disregard this notice." ... and encourages calling for bundle agreements.

This is the second price increase I've had this year (previous was $8) for "In order to continue to bring you quality service, at times we need to raise our rates."

And I had just upgraded from 15/5 to 50/50 this month, so this price increase is right after adding service!? The offer they made me online to sucker me off the lower tier was nice. Skeptical, I verified with an online chat sales-rep & took screen caps before and after. Indeed the upgrade went through as offered and stayed that way for a week until they "corrected" it to a price that was an additional $13/mo over the original offer.

Verizon offers another tenant in my building a "Priority Service address" new customer price of $29.99/mo for 2 years for 25/25 because they're already wired for FiOS ($45/mo discounts.), while I get jacked twice (so far) and duped once in the same year.

This was the last straw for me. I guess it's time to call Optimum Online. Their new customer internet-service offers are looking like fiscal relief...
Tampa304
No Display

Tampa304 to Driscollw

to Driscollw
said by Driscollw:

Man! They are charging us $67.99 a month w/2yr contract for 3/1, $72.99 off contract.

If you are a light user of internet, with that price, you are better off getting a cell phone and sign up for unlimited data plan with T-Mobile or Sprint and use the cell phone as hot spot(Wi-Fi) around the house.

As Verizon raises rates, am more close and close to considering setting up a hot spot at home.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

said by Tampa304:

said by Driscollw:

If you are a light user of internet, with that price, you are better off getting a cell phone and sign up for unlimited data plan with T-Mobile or Sprint and use the cell phone as hot spot(Wi-Fi) around the house.

As Verizon raises rates, am more close and close to considering setting up a hot spot at home.

Please don't do that. If Verizon won't lower prices I'm sure the local Cable company or some DSL provider has a $15/m plan to go with.

--Signed: All who put up with 1Mbps on unlimited data plans.
Tampa304
No Display

Tampa304

said by Smith6612:

said by Tampa304:

Please don't do that. If Verizon won't lower prices I'm sure the local Cable company or some DSL provider has a $15/m plan to go with.

There are none in the Tampa, FL area and can't get DSL anymore since Verizon ripped the copper lines out...

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by Tampa304:

There are none in the Tampa, FL area and can't get DSL anymore since Verizon ripped the copper lines out

Hate to break the news to you but its called technology and would be akin to asking for horses to stay as transportation when the automobile was rolled out...
Tampa304
No Display

Tampa304

said by bohratom:

said by Tampa304:

There are none in the Tampa, FL area and can't get DSL anymore since Verizon ripped the copper lines out

Hate to break the news to you but its called technology and would be akin to asking for horses to stay as transportation when the automobile was rolled out...

If you can only afford an horse - then you go with it otherwise it wouldn't be prudent to take on debt to own an automobile

I still think if Verizon continues to raise prices, we will see more consumers opting to convert their cell phones as hot spots.
ScrawnyB
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

said by Tampa304:

I still think if Verizon continues to raise prices, we will see more consumers opting to convert their cell phones as hot spots.

This is essentially what Verizon wants... people to subscribe to their other hand (Verizon Wireless)' usage-based pay-per-GB/MB/KB/etc. data plans and gain nearly pure profit from it. Most consumers will pay Verizon more in the end then.
Tampa304
No Display

Tampa304

said by ScrawnyB:

said by Tampa304:

This is essentially what Verizon wants... people to subscribe to their other hand (Verizon Wireless)' usage-based pay-per-GB/MB/KB/etc. data plans and gain nearly pure profit from it. Most consumers will pay Verizon more in the end then.

Pay per GB? I think that's far fetched...

If Verizon wants to charge per GB then it can charge it's existing FIOS customers based on usage.
ScrawnyB
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

said by Tampa304:

Pay per GB? I think that's far fetched...

If Verizon wants to charge per GB then it can charge it's existing FIOS customers based on usage.

I'm not saying necessarily that Verizon will ever make its FiOS customers pay per GB... unless the market completely goes that way. Verizon would LOVE that model though, where it's like the wireless side, you can either buy buckets and pay overage rates, or just pay-as-you-go. But, we all know how metered billing has been failing horribly with most of the ISP's rolling it out.

I really truly believe that if Verizon had its way, there would be more areas where they refuse to expand FiOS, and keep their sluggish DSL and wireless. That strategy drives people from wireline to wireless (or in some cases, to Verizon's competitors in those areas).

Also, I think part of this cost increase is to off-set the shift from traditional TV to cord-cutting, and Verizon's demonstrated that already where their entry-level TV services bundled with the same Internet package is often cheaper than the internet by itself.
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz to Tampa304

to Tampa304
said by Tampa304:

said by bohratom:

said by Tampa304:

If you can only afford an horse - then you go with it otherwise it wouldn't be prudent to take on debt to own an automobile

When I ditched fios for 5 months before coming back due to an offer I couldnt refuse I was using my tmobile unlimited plan for internet. I'd use an hdmi mhl adapter and would hook my phone up to the tv for netflix, hulu, etc..
For anything else though the hotspot had to be used and the major downfall was it was seriously limited on the amount you could use unless you wanted to pay a lot more per month for more as the hotspot usage isnt unlimited.

Swingerhead
Premium Member
join:2004-04-06
Richmond, VA

Swingerhead to ScrawnyB

Premium Member

to ScrawnyB
I had a Verizon Wireless rep come by the house locally to get me a triple play no contract price with a $400 Visa card for $90 a month in Virginia. Only trick, I have to cancel the service, wait a day and resign up under my wifes name. I can handle 3 days of no internet for a $40 month drop plus a nice bonus. I hope the $7 increase wont apply to this.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by Swingerhead:

I had a Verizon Wireless rep come by the house locally to get me a triple play no contract price with a $400 Visa card for $90 a month in Virginia. Only trick, I have to cancel the service, wait a day and resign up under my wifes name. I can handle 3 days of no internet for a $40 month drop plus a nice bonus. I hope the $7 increase wont apply to this.

I know in my area of Norther VA they added a $2 to $3 fee for local sports channels when I signed up for a new two year agreement.
Myzteziz
Port Richey, FL

Myzteziz to Swingerhead

to Swingerhead
said by Swingerhead:

I'd question the $400 card. I always thought that was a deal they'd give you only if you sign a contract. Make sure the rep isnt just trying to get a sale in by using that as bait.
peterl1365
join:2005-01-03
Murrieta, CA

peterl1365

I just saw this notification on my VZ account page. I was thinking about upgrading to 50/50, but now I'm not so sure. I'm a 9-year Fios customer and I've been out of contract for some time. I'm currently paying $100/mo for 25/25 double play.

I was in a live chat with a VZ rep. He told me that renewing my bundle would protect me from the increases (whether or not I agreed to the 2-year commitment). I'm kind of skeptical about that. I understand the protection with the contract, but I don't see how renewing a no-commitment bundle would protect me.

Am I mistaken about how Verizon's bundles work? My options are $115/month for a double play without contract or $105 with a contract. If I stay at 25/25, it would be $15 less per month for either option.

If I don't renew, I suppose I'd be looking at $107/month for 25/25.
McBane
join:2008-08-22
Wylie, TX

4 recommendations

McBane to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
Well we all didn't think these symmetrical speed upgrades would really be FREE, did you?
Tampa304
No Display

Tampa304

said by McBane:

Well we all didn't think these symmetrical speed upgrades would really be FREE, did you?

I have tried calling customer service, doing online chats and emailing them as well- No go on the speed upgrade.

Did anyone see the $7 fee on their statement?
rChaz
join:2014-07-28
Hoboken, NJ

1 recommendation

rChaz

said by Tampa304:

Did anyone see the $7 fee on their statement?

Hmmmm. The $7 price hike banner has disappeared from my account's "My Services" (and from my paper bill's second page notes) & I haven't yet been billed for the hike. I wonder if this was a false alarm for some accounts? I had just upgraded when I saw this hike notice the very next month. It prompted my decision to begin the process to move to Optimum Online, so either way it was the final straw Verizon - greed or incompetence, same result.

SoCalDude
join:2008-07-30
Oxnard, CA

SoCalDude to ScrawnyB

to ScrawnyB
I called in today to downgrade my internet speed and they told me I'd be hit with a $7 increase starting next month. Was trying to save $10/month, now I'll only be saving $3 .
km3k
join:2014-10-13
Buffalo, NY

km3k

I just noticed this increase on my October bill. It's the 2nd $7 increase in the past year. I'll have to give them a call. Might have to switch to Time Warner. :-(

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish

Premium Member

Unfortunately you will find all providers are doing this