Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

2 edits

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

CRTC plans include - pick-and-pay - TV

regulator proposes allowing local TV stations to shut down their transmitters – a move that might not sit well with consumers who prefer to get their TV programming over the air using antennas.

-- The Globe & Mail

Yoikes, if they shut down OTA ... all our rooftop Channel Master 4221 antenna's aren't going to be any good. No more critical news broadcasts. (no more television sales either?)

Then we'll be forced to actually seek our programing from other resources. And not necessarily sanctioned sources, which means we'll be coloring outside the lines on purpose deliberately if they go this route.

I'm certainly not going to PAY for ad infested garbage willingly.

Edit: Then again, perhaps some of the U.S. channels will still come in clearer over air if the Canadian ones shut down... which wouldn't be too bad considering most of the Canadian ones rebroadcast from the U.S. stations anyways.

Spike5
Premium Member
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

Spike5

Premium Member

Good, hope they return the spectrum if they shut down, and forced to give it up to someone other than incumbent phone providers....

You will still obtain US channels though, which broadcast the majority of the "Canadian" broadcast content anyway.

smogers
@108.170.167.x

smogers to TwiztedZero

Anon

to TwiztedZero
I see no issue with this.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc

said by TwiztedZero :

Yoikes, if they shut down OTA ... all our rooftop Channel Master 4221 antenna's aren't going to be any good

This idea blows.
said by smogers :

I see no issue with this.

Figures.
said by :

You will still obtain US channels though, which broadcast the majority of the "Canadian" broadcast content anyway.

Metro Vancouver will be screwed. The Seattle market does not reach the Lower Mainland via OTA unless you go to extraordinary measures.

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

shaner

Premium Member

Barely any OTA coverage in Calgary anyways. Rural folks gave up on OTA a generation ago.

El Quintron
Cancel Culture Ambassador
Premium Member
join:2008-04-28
Tronna

El Quintron to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

Then again, perhaps some of the U.S. channels will still come in clearer over air if the Canadian ones shut down... which wouldn't be too bad considering most of the Canadian ones rebroadcast from the U.S. stations anyways.

I'd like it, if my reception of the tougher US channels improved (eg: WBBZ, ION and some other hard to get locals) they're the best ones anyway.

EQ

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Also wouldn't that put an end to simsubs?

If Canadian transmitters shut down ... and we'd be getting better U.S. transmissions including their advertising.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by TwiztedZero:

There wouldn't be any OTA to simsub against, so that makes sense, but I don't know about Cable/Sat/IPTV. I'm assuming they'd still want to simsub against those broadcasts.

EQ

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
What is OTA? We only have two OTA channels here anyway. Nothing changes in rural Ontario. Nothing.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

If Canadian transmitters shut down ... and we'd be getting better U.S. transmissions including their advertising.

I would imagine they'd grant pay for carriage along with must carry status to the former OTA channels, and SimSub would still apply.

In Windsor, we get CBC, TVO and CTV2 OTA from Canada, plus about 30 other channels from Michigan.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to DKS

Premium Member

to DKS
said by DKS:

Nothing changes in rural Ontario. Nothing.

Your "rural Ontario" is not representative of all rural Ontario. People in at least Essex and Lambton Counties as well as Niagara Region have no issues with receiving numerous OTA channels from the US and Canada.

While shutting down OTA transmitters around here might be good in the sense that the noise floor would drop (thus reducing interference against other US OTA channels) I highly doubt the networks will shut down their transmitters in the big cities. The markets are too big.

elitefx
join:2011-02-14
London, ON

elitefx

Well, OTA is WORTHLESS in London. 8 channels with a $150 antenna.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
a $20 package would be great for people in rural communities. I'm not sure why that isn't mandated currently. Heck at my cottage I used to get 5 channels. Now I get one, CTV.

I dont know what happened but I think CBC shut down all its analog transmitters outside of major cities.
HiVolt

HiVolt

Premium Member

Heh I just looked up Bell Satellite, minimum package is $45.95 + $3 Digital Service Fee... What a gyp...

Shaw Direct is a little better at $36, though I can't see if there are any other fees.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

I dont know what happened but I think CBC shut down all its analog transmitters outside of major cities.

Not only that, they even shut down their London Ontario transmitter.

Pretty disgraceful.

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by HeadSpinning:

said by HiVolt:

Pretty disgraceful.

I still have to aim for Toronto from my cottage, which I still get without too many issues, but it's a bit silly that I'm getting a Toronto feed for Barrie/Orillia.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Shaw Direct is a little better at $36, though I can't see if there are any other fees.

At one point Shaw Direct offered a special package for those people who lost their OTA channels when Canadian stations formally transitioned in 2011. It was 20-something dollars and provided basic network tv channels.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc

said by mr weather :

At one point Shaw Direct offered a special package for those people who lost their OTA channels when Canadian stations formally transitioned in 2011. It was 20-something dollars and provided basic network tv channels.

Dish Network in the States offers an unadvertised Welcome Pack for $19.99, which includes locals - »direct-vs-dish.com/packa ··· me-pack/ . Some folks are grandfathered at the old price of $14.99. The only stipulation is one has to buy their own equipment, even if it's off eBay. No reason the Canadian boys couldn't offer such a deal.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to TwiztedZero

Premium Member

to TwiztedZero
Some past discussions on these matters:

»Re: Should we be skeptical about this week's CRTC hearings?

»Re: CRTC sez: Broadcasting as we know it will never be the same

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
We used to get Chex, now we get nothing.
I suspect CTV shut down the transmitter.
elwoodblues

elwoodblues to HeadSpinning

Premium Member

to HeadSpinning
said by HeadSpinning:

said by HiVolt:

Pretty disgraceful.

Transmitters cost money to maintain and operate, they're too constrained for cash.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones

join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON

DKS to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

We used to get Chex, now we get nothing.
I suspect CTV shut down the transmitter.

CHEX wasn't ever owned by CTV. They are now owned by Corus and carry CBC programming. They are also all digital. More here: »www.chextv.com/digital-and-hd/
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

they're too constrained for cash

That's what's so disgraceful. They're the public broadcaster. They should at least have enough money to broadcast.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

koreyb

They do... They just don't use the money smartly.

That's always been the CBC's issue.

One major cost savings... With digital OTA, French and English CBC's should be on 1 transmitter, using subchannels. Cuts the cost in half, and allows better usage of a equipment, freeing it up for other markets.

In Toronto CBC English and french each have their own transmitter and full channel. Make it one, using subchannels, you now have free equipment to use in London, on a tower, they already have and keep due to CBC radio and other stations being on it. This could be done in every market... and could be done for a lot less cost than the old way with analog.

sbug206
@24.52.222.x

sbug206 to HeadSpinning

Anon

to HeadSpinning
Not when you have a Conservatve government that doesn't believe in social services like the CBC.
said by HeadSpinning:

said by elwoodblues:

That's what's so disgraceful. They're the public broadcaster. They should at least have enough money to broadcast.

MacGyver

join:2001-10-14
Vancouver, BC
·TELUS
Actiontec T3200M
Arcadyan WE410443-TS
Sipura SPA-2102

MacGyver to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
Shutting down transmitters would then allow other broadcasters to apply for and take over the vacated frequencies. I doubt the incumbents want that, especially in a place like Toronto where there is already fierce competition for radio station slots.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to sbug206

Premium Member

to sbug206
said by sbug206 :

Not when you have a Conservatve government that doesn't believe in social services like the CBC.

said by HeadSpinning:

said by elwoodblues:

Or non-polluted water & air.
NefCanuck
join:2007-06-26
Mississauga, ON

NefCanuck to TwiztedZero

to TwiztedZero
If the Canadian broadcasters are dumb enough to kill their OTA broadcasts then they'll be in for a rude surprise. It's not going to improve their bottom line one iota.

Won't make me go back to those leeches anyways, sick of paying for things I never watch or use.

NefCanuck

El Quintron
Premium Member
Tronna

El Quintron

Premium Member

said by NefCanuck:

Won't make me go back to those leeches anyways, sick of paying for things I never watch or use.

That's where I'm at.

If OTA goes belly up, Netflix and a proxy service to defeat geoblocking for stuff like BBC iPlayer is where all my TV will come from.

EQ
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

+1