All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
EvilDB
join:2008-03-01

EvilDB

[Fusion] OC Fusion

Curious if anyone have any experience with fusion in OC at the moment? My location is apparently around 11k away from CO and they rated my speed at 5mbps. I am wondering how accurate the rated speed is since I might bite on trialing one month to see if it would go higher than my current 6mbps plan.
reader50
join:2003-01-23
California

reader50

I'm curious about this too. Trying to sign a friend up, and it would be good to know how close the estimate is. It's even the same 5Mb estimate.

dslx_gm
ISP Employee
join:2002-12-26
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_gm to EvilDB

ISP Employee

to EvilDB
Hi EvilDB See Profile,

Thanks for your interest in our Fusion service. You mentioned that you are currently on a 6.0mbps speed package. Do you currently have that service through DSL Extreme? If so can you send me a PM with your account info so I can take a look at your account on the backend.

The Fusion service is sold as a single up to 20Mbps package. Based on the clients distance from the central office and the quality of the line they will sync at the fastest speed possible for that line. We don't limit the sync rate or the speed in anyway. During the qualification process on our website we look at the distance and based on that will provide some more narrower ranges based on what we generally see clients at those distances obtain. Clients at the 11K distance fall into the up to 5.0 range. These are of course estimates as well but we try to give as much detail as possible. It is possible that your line will go faster and of course possible that it would be slower. We don't limit the line and allow it to sync as fast as possible while remaining stable.

I hope that additional detail helps.

Thanks!
EvilDB

EvilDB

It doesnt let me PM you but I have sent a PM to Nick about my account info.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Hi EvilDB, got the PM. I looked into this for you, and in your case, I don't think Fusion would be optimal.

See, Fusion service is run directly from the Central Office. You, however, are far from the Central Office (about 11-12,000' away), and instead are being serviced by a much closer Remote Terminal (about 4-5,000' away). Due to the difference in distance, Fusion would probably be slower than your current connection, I'm afraid. Fusion's usually great, but not a good match for your current location.

That said, you've probably heard of the new services we'll be rolling out very shortly. Those might be a better fit for you, so I'd suggest holding off for now and keep an eye on this board in the meantime.

Reader50, does your friend have DSL service through us too? If so, if you PM me some of your friend's account information I can do a similar lookup for him.
reader50
join:2003-01-23
California

reader50

Sorry, she has no service at present. I could PM you an address and phone number. It's a retirement facility, so someone else there might have service.

We're trying to set up videochat, where upload bandwidth is usually the limiting factor. So Fusion might be the better choice, even if DSL had faster downloads.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Ahh. Unfortunately, in that case I probably won't be able to see what equipment the line is currently connected to, so we'll have to rely on the prequalification results for your friend. With Fusion one typically gets around 1Mbps upstream speed; presumably enough for your videochat, I would imagine. We also do have the ability to optimize the line for upstream traffic (Annex M), which gives you a slight increase in upstream speed at a larger decrease in downstream speed, which might prove useful; would have to actually hook everything up and play with the settings to find the optimal settings arrangement for you.
EvilDB

EvilDB to dslx_nick

to dslx_nick
Thanks for the help. I'll wait for the announcement of these new services