All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
hughesnet123
join:2012-11-08

hughesnet123

Canceling Hughesnet Gen 4, using Verizon 4G LTE, BIG difference

I see a lot of people asking questions about this topic so I am going to give my feedback.

At the time I got Hughesnet Gen 4, it was actually fairly quick. The ping times are high, so there was always that 3 second delay before a page loaded or a video loaded but once it loaded, it was quick. I would always get the 15 down as advertised and sometimes more.

Because they only let me have 20GB, I used this with Verizon LTE. I had 20GB on Verizon LTE. With Verizon LTE I get about 30 down and 5 up. I do not use the home fusion plan, I use a mifi hot spot so I can take it with me, and I have antenna's which I use at home. After going through many antenna's that cost a lot of money, I can tell you, the best antenna's are the 20 dollar antenna's Verizon sells on their website. Don't fall for 300 dollar antenna's.

Now, Hughesnet Gen 4 in the past 3 months has totally changed. I can barely keep anything loaded. The YouTube video's, even at 360p are difficult to load. Loading Facebook takes more than the usual 3 seconds it did before.

Living in the country, it does suck to have to pay all of this money for the internet but I have no choice. I have now went with the 60GB plan on LTE and have canceled Gen 4. 60GB will be enough as I never went close to that before living other places.

Although, for people using LTE at home and wondering about that, you have to be smart with your internet. You can use it all day and do whatever you want and you won't go to 60GB if you know what you are doing. If you are watching a lot of YouTube, don't watch it at HD. Watch it at 360 or 480. If you are not watching it all day, you can afford to watch it in HD.

Even when I had the 20GB plan it would do a good bit. I would upload a few youtube videos in HD, and watch YouTube and browse the web for a good 14 or 15 days on 20GB. The reason I went 60GB is so I can watch HD video's more often.

I do not download movies at my house. I go to another persons house which has unlimited fiber optic and I download iTunes movies I want for later, and I also do a lot of my Mac OSX updates on both of my MacBooks, as well as update apps on my iPad and iPhone. Instead of doing that at home.

If you live in an area where LTE is available, it's definitely worth it. At only 2 bars of service I get 30 down and 5 up. If you have more than 2 bars, I imagine it will be very good. I get a ping time of around 39. With Hughesnet the ping time was 900.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco

Premium Member

What 60GB plan are you referring to? When I look at Verizon's website, I see 60GB priced at $430 per month. Home Fusion seems to be capped at 30GB per month for $120.
hughesnet123

hughesnet123

I do not use home fusion because I like to take the mifi device with me. Yes it is $430 a month for 60GB. But I was already paying three something for my Verizon bill with the internet I had before. Now that I canceled hughes I got that extra 100 to spend. I also own my own home with no house payment or else I would not be able to afford the 60GB. It sucks to have to pay that much out in the country but I have no choice. It's either that or Hughes.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

1 recommendation

compuguybna to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
that's freaking highway robbery ! ! !
tabernak4
join:2013-08-10

tabernak4 to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
Why wouldn't you use millenicom for $90/20GB or a combination of that and home fusion? Just switching to millenicom would save you 160 a month for the same service.
jhawl3
join:2014-05-27
Orangeburg, SC

jhawl3 to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
Check on ebay for people renting out unlimited 4G sim cards.
chances14
join:2010-03-03
Michigan

chances14 to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
wow $430 a month for residential internet? that's just insane

no wonder nobody has any money. people are spending it all on their phone and internet bills lol
hughesnet123

hughesnet123

That's right. I am looking into the other company mentioned here. It is highway robbery. But it's my only choice.

I have to have a good bit of Gb due to being a videographer and photographer and uploading huge files through dropbox etc.
hughesnet123

hughesnet123 to jhawl3

to jhawl3
I don't want an unlimited card. Verizon has reported they are throttling down the speeds of people with unlimited cards after they reach 4GB and that would be half a day for me.

diablo18926
R.I.P. Donald Lee Wise
join:2011-04-21
Friendly, WV

diablo18926 to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
said by hughesnet123:

uploading huge files through dropbox

You do the monthly plan through dropbox? Man I bet that is costing you alot in money on top of what you're paying for you're ISP + the tokens you put in so that you can upload you're stuff to dropbox.

Sounds like highway robbery alright.
bak2sat
join:2014-08-25
Camilla, GA

bak2sat

hughesnet123

I think the throttling is only on overcrowded towers which if you are getting 30 down i doubt your crowded? I only get 3 down sometimes just 1 down but we have overcrowding and slow backhaul off our rural towers here (GA).
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
I got stuck with a $538 bill and I only had service since June 20th and that's after I paid almost $200 to $250 so far. Because Verizon apparently "forgot" to bill me last month (mmkay right VZ..) and prorated bs charges. All this because I didn't know what backdating or how their billing worked when I upgraded my plan twice within a few days being that I was a new customer. A member here warned me about contacting support to backdate the upgrades but apparently support could only see the most recent upgrade, I got stuck with prorated overages from the other upgrade totaling $180 they refuse to remove. Fact is the prorated overages wouldn't exist if they backdated both upgrades like I requested. Last month/cycle my balance was $181 and this cycle that balance jumped up to $538 lol.

I keep going at it with them but they aren't budging and only are offering a measly inconvenience credit of $30. I can't afford this **** with my income, I'm always going to be behind because before I can catch up there will be a new bill. If I was paying the $130 for my plan and not all these additional charges I could afford it but this is ridiculous. I was going to convince my parents to switch because they are looking into options other than satellite but when I told them what I am dealing with they said forget it. I will likely be looking into Millenicom but too bad it isn't BYOD as my current device would become useless.

It's too bad there is nothing else. I'm stuck without dsl, cable, fiber, fixed wisp etc.. being available in my area. Verizon is the only lte provider and their prices are exorbitant highway robbery. Once Sprint lte goes live near me I may make the switch to something like Wireless N Wifi but for now I may make the switch to Millenicom so I'm not being bent over by Verizon and their over-inflated pricing scheme.

compuguybna
join:2009-06-17
Nashville, TN

compuguybna to hughesnet123

to hughesnet123
Millenicom/Verizon customers haven't been without problems/issues. Good luck!

"
Once Sprint lte goes live near me I may make the switch to something like Wireless N Wifi but for now I may make the switch to Millenicom so I'm not being bent over by Verizon and their over-inflated pricing scheme.
"
Xtreme2damax
join:2007-03-21
Port Byron, NY

Xtreme2damax

Better than being stuck with satellite or a $538 bill through VZW.

At least VZW lte gives me speed and latency comparable to cable so better than satellite and Millenicom or Wireless N Wifi would be better than both options. I do realize no service is going to be without issues but going with a cellular data mvno would a better choice than the two former options.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to hughesnet123

Premium Member

to hughesnet123
said by hughesnet123:

I do not use home fusion because I like to take the mifi device with me. Yes it is $430 a month for 60GB. But I was already paying three something for my Verizon bill with the internet I had before. Now that I canceled hughes I got that extra 100 to spend. I also own my own home with no house payment or else I would not be able to afford the 60GB. It sucks to have to pay that much out in the country but I have no choice. It's either that or Hughes.

Depending on where you live you might be able to get 150 gig/month for $110 thru Exede.
>12x3 consistently