Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

Cameragate

This is going to be the problem with the iPhone 6. I'm calling it now.

»forums.macrumors.com/sho ··· =1767516

The camera apparently sticks out .6mm from the rest of the device. That means people without cases are going to destroy that thing.

Bet.

Also ew at the edge around the phone. That's a regression back to iPhone 3G.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

That's what happens when a company is obsessed with thinness. I am completely fine with my iPhone5's thickness, in fact i have a case on it that adds a couple mm's to the overall thickness and it doesn't bother me one bit.

I would rather the iPhone 6 have the same thickness as the iPhone 5/5s and have better battery life, and no protruding pieces.

Though if I decide to upgrade, the protruding lens will not really be an issue since I will have a protective case for it regardless, and I'm sure there will be some nice form fitting cases that will basically make the lens flush with the case.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

If these leaks are true........ unless it comes with a case by default, this is simply poor engineering.

and let's just get this over with.. Steve would have had those engineers that green lit it killed

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Mike

MVM,

to Mike
There are millions of iPod touches with the same design. No complaints from them. We shall see...

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to Mike

MVM

to Mike
Isn't the lens these days made of sapphire crystal? If so, the lens will be fine.

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

BronsCon

The lens surround, on the other hand, is aluminum... bump it just right and you can bet that lens would just pop right out. Thankfully, on the iPod touch at least, it's thin enough that it doesn't seem to be a common issue.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to Mike

MVM

to Mike
said by Mike:

and let's just get this over with.. Steve would have had those engineers that green lit it killed

Engineers don't just grow on trees my friend,.......

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Good ones don't, and this isn't an engineering issue as much as it's a design one.

And yes Steve would have fired all their asses, and we wouldn't see the 6 till next year.

Apple was an innovator, just like the Macintosh, only to have the market overshadow them. You can see that with Cell phones, they're no longer leading but playing catchup.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

That's generally true with everyone. A competitor takes something new and improves it. R&D is done for you.

Unless you change it up again.

enon
@50.153.115.x

enon to Mike

Anon

to Mike
I don't think it's quite going to be camera gate but it's terribly ugly and a poor design choice.

This makes me wonder about Tim Cook's confidence in his product. Apple hasn't been competing on specifications for the last decade or so, but rather design and ease of use. For them to obsess over a trivial marketing gimmick (our phone is 4.7 x 10-^4 thinner!!1) at the expense of their world-renowned elegant and minimalist design is somewhat troubling.
said by Mike:

Also ew at the edge around the phone. That's a regression back to iPhone 3G.

Agreed 100%. I still think the iPhone 4 was the best design although I did eventually pick up a 5. I held out on getting an iPad for years in hopes that Apple would eventually make the design more like the iPhone 4/4S/5/5S but eventually couldn't wait any longer and ended up with the Air. I would be very disappointed if they went back to the rounded back. To me, the safe round edges are akin to a child's toy rather than an adult's pocket computer. Blech.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

said by enon :

I still think the iPhone 4 was the best design although I did eventually pick up a 5.

As I was reading down this thread (and before I saw your post), I was thinking to myself - The last truly innovative iPhone was the 4. Everything since has just been attempts to keep up with the competition.
Riamen
Premium Member
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

Riamen to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
One area that the iPhone leads in is the use of a 64-bit processor and OS. After almost a year on the market it's still the only 64-bit phone.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
join:2002-03-30
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Riamen:

One area that the iPhone leads in is the use of a 64-bit processor and OS. After almost a year on the market it's still the only 64-bit phone.

Think of that. If that's one area that they lead in, once all others bring out a 64bit version, they'll no longer lead in anything.

I agree that this rumored version seems to not be like Apple when jobs was in charge. The 6 would have been something no other phone was doing, and the others would be working hard to catch up and or do one better. It's not innovated nor ground breaking. Everyone knows competition brings better products to the consumer. Why Apple doesn't seem to take that knowledge and run with it is something I don't understand.
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by onebadmofo:

said by Riamen:

Think of that. If that's one area that they lead in, once all others bring out a 64bit version, they'll no longer lead in anything.

What makes you think Apple is standing still? They caught the industry flatfooted last year when they introduced a 64-bit phone. Android won't catch up until next year, by then Apple will have had a two year head start.

There are a lot of things I think Apple does better than anyone else and lead in, from ease of use, integration, app quality, etc. They're the only company out there that controls the whole stack. From hardware to software to services. Microsoft and Google don't come close in this regard.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Riamen:

said by onebadmofo:

said by Riamen:

What makes you think Apple is standing still? They caught the industry flatfooted last year when they introduced a 64-bit phone. Android won't catch up until next year, by then Apple will have had a two year head start.

There are a lot of things I think Apple does better than anyone else and lead in, from ease of use, integration, app quality, etc. They're the only company out there that controls the whole stack. From hardware to software to services. Microsoft and Google don't come close in this regard.

Sorry I meant in the phone market. I know their computers and OS are far superior to MS.

I don't think they're standing still. It seems like they're just sitting on their hands and taking the lazy way out, hoping the name just keeps selling the product.

They changed how phones are, point blank. No other phone out there had a touch screen at the time. And if some did, it was in no way as sophisticated or responsive as Apple's. Back then I got the 3G and everyone thought is was so "futuristic" with a touch screen and thought 200 bucks was a lot for a phone. Which back then it was, since most phones were 60 to 80 bucks. And there were a lot of people who thought touch screens would go away and preferred the physical keyboard as to touch.

But apparently Jobs said screw it, and guess what, people bought it. Companies copied it. Competition grew. And now the competition is pretty much nipping at the heels of Apple. Yes Apple has the build quality that isn't match by the competition (not that I know of anyway) And that is something that will probably always sway me into buying the next iPhone. But they DO have to think more like Jobs did. Ya know, with that "fuck it" attitude. they should have came out with the bigger screen first. they should have came out with the watch first.

Don't let the competition beat you to your own idea. Don't copy the competition. Make the competition copy you.
Without Jobs, it seems they don't know how to do this. They seem scared to make the leaps Jobs used to do.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Everyone in this thread seems to have a very strange version of "history" and Jobs.

Not to be rude, but almost all of this post is wrong. Apple is rarely the first in big product categories, but they are the first or one of the first in different technical areas (64-bit mobile is the most recent
example).

Apple is perpetually doomed.

onebadmofo
gat gnitsoP
Premium Member
Pennsylvania

2 recommendations

onebadmofo

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

Everyone in this thread seems to have a very strange version of "history" and Jobs.

Not to be rude, but almost all of this post is wrong. Apple is rarely the first in big product categories, but they are the first or one of the first in different technical areas (64-bit mobile is the most recent
example).

Apple is perpetually doomed.

Is it safe to say they stopped thinking different?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

2 edits

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I would not say that at all. And I wasn't disagreeing with everything in your post (they did revolutionize the cell phone market), but there were other errors about how that occurred exactly (price, availability of touch screen phones, Jobs' role in it, etc). And the narrative that they are somehow lost or spineless and just copying what everyone else is doing couldn't be further from the truth.

I think pretty much everybody agrees the iPod was and still is a phenomenal success. Where was the "innovation" in that product line after it's initial introduction? Many of the features that came to the iPod line were available on other devices first, yet Apple somehow managed to do pretty well with it. Granted, the phone market is not the same as the MP3 player market, but if you can't see that they're following a pretty "tried and true" sequence of releases with the iPhone and iPad + a few curveballs every so often (and that strategy is paying off pretty well for them so far), then you're probably just looking for negatives to fit a narrative.

If their "new category" product(s) fall flat and the MacBook line becomes stagnant or overshadowed and the iPad dies and the iPhone stops selling, then Apple will have an issue.. but that's a lot of "ands".

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Riamen

Premium Member

to Riamen
I thought the Galaxy S5 was 64bit?
Riamen
Premium Member
Calgary

Riamen

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

I thought the Galaxy S5 was 64bit?

No it isn't. There are no 64-bit Android phones yet. Part of the problem is having a 64-bit OS, Google's Android L is to have 64-bit support. Apple has the luxury of being able to write their own OS and design the SOCs that other phone makers don't have.

HTC is rumoured to be announcing a 64-bit Android phone soon.