spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

sad guy

join:2013-03-11

Am i allowed to use a signal from a tower across state lines?

I live close to va/nc state border on the va side and just found out the closest tower was in nc. 7.4 miles to be exact.Was wondering if my phone is allowed to connect to that tower or does it have to use towers in va as long as the phone is physically in va?

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3
As long as you are not roaming on another carrier's network you should be fine.

not at pc

@99.198.76.x
said by davidhoffman:

As long as you are not roaming on another carrier's network you should be fine.

That begs another question. Why is my coverage crap? Is 7.4 miles kind a close or is that considered far away for a cell signal?

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
Far away. I have to use external antennas to get signals at 5 miles for a cellular data plan using a Novatel 760 USB modem.

Who is your carrier? That tells a lot about signal coverage.

For example, T-mobile and Sprint concentrate on service near interstate highways or dense urban areas. AT&T and Verizon were, for a long time, looking to get as much geographic coverage as possible in order to get more people to use mobile phones. I have friends and coworkers who live in rural areas where average incomes are not too low, but for many years none of the carriers would install new towers that would help increase cellular usage and subscriptions. AT&T has installed a tower only within the last 2 years in one coworker's neighborhood.

still not pc

@99.198.76.x
Vz and my signal is usually around 102 but some times i don't get one at all.

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
How much do you want to mitigate the problem? How much money do you have?

The 3G Store »3gstore.com/products/38_3g4g_sig···ers.html

Wilson Electronics »www.wilsonelectronics.com/

WirelessNWiFi »www.wirelessnwifi.com/

EVDO Tips »evdotips.blogspot.com/

Maximum Signal »www.maximumsignal.net/

WPS Antennas »www.wpsantennas.com/cell-phone-a···ers.aspx

In order to get internet access, using a cellular data modem, a friend of mine had to install a large parabolic antenna and a bidirectional amplifier
to communicate with a tower 5 miles away through dense Georgia forest.

I would say it would be reasonable for you to achieve between -90db and -100db for signal strength with a directional antenna and a bidirectional amplifier.

its me agai

@99.198.76.x
I have hundreds to spend not thousands. So at most I get an amp a small receiving antenna to put in the attic or on the roof and an indoor antenna. Now way I could afford any type of personal cell repeater tower. Before I spend a dime I neeed to call vz and ask if that tower even has 4g

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
Most Verizon phones with 4G LTE capability should have an indicator light or other way to indicate if you are using 4G LTE, 3G EVDO, or 2G. If possible you could travel closer to the tower, getting within 0.25 miles, and see what the indicators on the phone show.

davidhoffman
Premium
Warner Robins, GA
reply to its me agai
This device may work for 3G:

»www.verizonwireless.com/accessor···cs-2u01/

WHT

join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to sad guy
said by sad guy:

Was wondering if my phone is allowed to connect to that tower or does it have to use towers in va as long as the phone is physically in va?

Cell coverage is independent of boundaries.