join:2013-10-31
Pittsfield, MA
D-Link DSL-2750B
Actiontec GT784WN

1 recommendation

wiggie116

Premium Member

Wow

Being in the business myself (not for cox) I've had customers that feel like they are attached to my tool belt. They will follow you everywhere go even out to the van. Just recently I was working on roof that required a fully extended 28 foot ladder. I'm drilling into the Facia and I look up and the customers right there, no safety gear nothing but flip flops! He also used my ladder. I told him if he wanted go his roof that's fine but please use your own ladder. I tried explaining how dangerous it was to be on steep pitched roof with no safety gear. I was thinking if he ever fell off somehow they would blame me. Most people will not follow you every step you take. That being said, he/she should of never asked for help in the first place. Also leaving the customers home after they just feel through the attic is just wrong! There is always two stories the techs, and the customers.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

2 recommendations

mackey

Premium Member

said by wiggie116:

There is always two stories the techs, and the customers.

Actually there are 4. The techs, the customers, what actually happened, and what the settlement/verdict says.

/M
uberjon
join:2010-02-10
Kane, PA

uberjon to wiggie116

to wiggie116
When I have an installer at my home I too follow them everywhere, except up a ladder.. I wait a bit away from the ladder on the ground. A person shouldn't be going up a ladder without someone on the ground. (if i was inside fiddling my thumbs i couldn't call for help if he fell...)

for the OP. i would think running suggests the installer did ask for help.. therefore cox should pay.

HunterZ
join:2003-07-16
Kent, WA

1 recommendation

HunterZ to wiggie116

to wiggie116
said by wiggie116:

Being in the business myself (not for cox) I've had customers that feel like they are attached to my tool belt. They will follow you everywhere go even out to the van.

As a homeowner, trying to figure out how much attention I'm expected to pay (or not) to the contractor is often a bit awkward. I don't want them to feel like I'm crowding/micromanaging them or not trusting them to do their job, but I also don't want them to think that I don't care. I've also had movers rip off a bunch of my stuff before during a job, so I'm leery of letting people be around my house completely unsupervised.

In any case, I leave the dangerous stuff to the professionals. That's what I'm paying them (or the service provider that called them out) for in the first place! I've never had a contractor ask for my help; I would probably hold that against them or their employer as being a bit unprofessional, as they ought to show up with everything they need to do the job (including additional personnel if it turns out to be a multi-person job).

If they need me to inspect something in a potentially hazardous area, they could always snap some pictures with a cell phone or whatever and then show them to me. That's the way home inspectors, roofers, and other contractors have done things for me in the recent past.
HunterZ

HunterZ to mackey

to mackey
At that point you may as well count the tech's employer(s) as well.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

3 recommendations

battleop to mackey

to mackey
Wrong! There are 5. You forgot to include the DSLR crowd's side of the story.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to wiggie116

to wiggie116
People who are bored love to watch. The worst are those that follow you and know how to do everything better.
nonymous

nonymous (banned) to uberjon

to uberjon
said by uberjon:

When I have an installer at my home I too follow them everywhere, except up a ladder.. I wait a bit away from the ladder on the ground. A person shouldn't be going up a ladder without someone on the ground. (if i was inside fiddling my thumbs i couldn't call for help if he fell...)

for the OP. i would think running suggests the installer did ask for help.. therefore cox should pay.

Yes mommy. If every job took two techs your rates would increase.
ITGeeks
join:2014-04-20
Cleveland, OH

ITGeeks to wiggie116

to wiggie116
The fact is, everyone is quick to jump and assume the tech asked the customer for help when the company is in fact stating that did not happen. Why are we quick to always believe the customer? Customers are NOT always right.

wiggie116
Premium Member
join:2013-10-31
Pittsfield, MA
D-Link DSL-2750B
Actiontec GT784WN

wiggie116

Premium Member

We are supposed to believe the customers is always right. Only the tech and the customer really know what took place that day. There are great contractors and some that are......I'll just say not trained the right way.

I have also had customers that magically removed my drill, tools, and cable from my van before never to be found again. For example I left my brand new drill outside by the bulkhead. I called and told them where my drill was. Magically it was gone. That has only happened twice in 8 years. 99.9% of people will call you before you pull out of their street to let you know a tool was left behind or even a bag of zip ties. I also take responsibility that I left the drills behind in the first place. Should of payed more attention when I walked the property to make sure it looked nice and clean and nothing was out of place!

We are up to 6 now