IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[Appliances] Coffee maker question

I'm looking at Coffemakers (Dunkin Donuts K-Cups are getting expensive) and I'm thinking of getting a Coffee Maker that grinds the beans right before brewing since Dunkin sells theirs in whole bean.

Any advantages of buying whole bean and using a traditional coffee maker over K-Cups. People don't seem to be as crazy about Keurig as they used to.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

How much coffee do you drink?

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

1-2 cups a day, the thing on the Dunkin K-Cups is you can only buy them at Dunkin where the bagged coffee you can buy at grocery stores and warehouse clubs.

LazMan
Premium Member
join:2003-03-26
Beverly Hills, CA

4 recommendations

LazMan to robbin

Premium Member

to robbin
said by robbin:

How much coffee do you drink?

Enough that he was looking at a commerical-grade K-Cup unit like 4 months ago...

»[Appliances] Keurig commercial brewers

@IowaCowboy - before I got my Tassimo, I used to buy smaller tins of ground coffee, and keep them sealed in the fridge... Was never an issue with freshness.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

The thing on the Keurig is you are always refilling it. Drip Coffemakers you fill with the amount of water that you want to brew in coffee.

I could also get the My K-Cup but I've heard it makes lousy coffee.

I'll probably wait and see what this Keurig 2.0 is all about.

But I'll tell you the Keurig is cheaper than going to Dunkin every morning for coffee. One of my friends in Iowa who lives in a rural community got excited when Starbucks came to town.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned) to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
A good quality burr grinder seperate from the coffee maker. One I have cheap electric is diacontinued but saw this manual one one looks good.

»www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B ··· _s_a_1_5
Since so few cups manual is not an issue.

Toad
join:2001-07-22
Bradford, ON

Toad to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I grind mine in a separate grinder and use a traditional coffee maker. A few years ago, the office I worked in had one with a built in grinder. The resulting grounds, well steamed, were a royal pain to clean out. Making a pot was very time consuming as a result.

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One to IowaCowboy

MVM

to IowaCowboy
Get the larger Keurig. Target has it, so does Costco. Holds 72oz of water, so less refiling. Then get a do-it-yourself cup.
»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· F8&psc=1
works really well. And unlike the my k-cup, you can just stick it in the machine, without having to remove the spike tray. Grind for drip coffee. (fine grind doesn't work so well in these)

Fronkman
An Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Premium Member
join:2003-06-23
Saint Louis, MO

Fronkman to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
k-cups are a huge waste of money and are terrible for the environment. i understand the utility in an office or waiting room setting where you don't want to have a pot sitting on the warmer all day only to be dumped down the drain but it never made sense for the home user.

if you want convenience, get a super-automatic espresso machine. load in the whole beans and fill the reservoir. same ease of use as the keyring but less trash and SUBSTANTIALLY better coffee.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

said by Fronkman:

k-cups are a huge waste of money and are terrible for the environment. i understand the utility in an office or waiting room setting where you don't want to have a pot sitting on the warmer all day only to be dumped down the drain but it never made sense for the home user.

I love my Keurig at home, most days I only make 1 cup as I am leaving for the day. It turns on before i get up, I turn it off as I leave, 1 nice fresh cup of coffee.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

Any advantages of buying whole bean and using a traditional coffee maker over K-Cups.

Check out this Hamilton Beach single serve coffee maker. It brews ground coffee or K-Cups. Hamilton Beach offers several single serve coffee makers.

»www.hamiltonbeach.com/si ··· 95r.html

and this single serve coffee grinder:

»www.solofill.com/sologrind/

Both are available at Walmart.

Check this out:

»www.keurig.com/comingsoon

Only brews K-Cups with the Keurig logo.

SparkChaser
Premium Member
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA

1 edit

SparkChaser to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
If you only drink 1-2 cups, like me. Try this

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· official

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I'm almost 100% plastic free. I bought a Presto stainless steel 6 cup percolator. All stainless inside and out> »www.gopresto.com/downloa ··· 2822.pdf

Plastic leeches chemicals when heated, even if it's BPA free.

Then I found and old 1950's Sunbeam stainless steel 12 cup percolator that was packed away in my basement. Still works
ImpetusEra
Premium Member
join:2004-05-19

ImpetusEra to Fronkman

Premium Member

to Fronkman
said by Fronkman:

if you want convenience, get a super-automatic espresso machine. load in the whole beans and fill the reservoir. same ease of use as the keyring but less trash and SUBSTANTIALLY better coffee.

Agree, complete waste. I don't drink coffee but a few times a year and on the occasion that I do I think the k-cup coffee is off tasting.

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

GadgetsRme to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
The wife and I are serious about our coffee. We have a separate grinder and a B&D 10cup machine with a Thermos pot ( no element to stay hot that way). The wife will empty a pot all by herself. I typically drink between 20 & 40 ounces (2 coffee mugs) a day. That amounts to 2 pots a day between the 2 of us. We use a SS basket instead of paper filters and leave the coffee ground a little coarse. Our preferred brand is Eight O'clock Columbian.

what the
join:2014-06-28
usa

2 recommendations

what the to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Nothing beats a percolator coffee pot.
DoctorStinky
join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME

DoctorStinky

Yes, literally NOTHING beats boiling your coffee; you'll enjoy drinking NOTHING much more than drinking this astounding abuse of coffee beans.

SysOp
join:2001-04-18
Atlanta, GA

SysOp to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Use distilled water. It's pure water.

Filtered water is not the same as Spring water which is not the same as Distilled water.

Coffee is more water than coffee.

what the
usa

what the to DoctorStinky

to DoctorStinky
said by DoctorStinky:

abuse of coffee beans

Sssh! If the people in DC hear you they will pass a law against abusing coffee beans and give me 5 to 10.
If I can't abuse my wife, sons, or people in general, I'll keep on abusing my coffee beans.
what the

what the to SysOp

to SysOp
said by SysOp:

Use distilled water. It's pure water.

Careful of recommending distilled water to people. A lot of people need the chemicals that are removed from the water.
»chemistry.about.com/od/w ··· ater.htm
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to hitachi369

Premium Member

to hitachi369
said by hitachi369:

I love my Keurig at home, most days I only make 1 cup as I am leaving for the day. It turns on before i get up, I turn it off as I leave, 1 nice fresh cup of coffee.

I have a cheap Mr. Coffee espresso maker I use in the morning. Works great. Can make a single cup, cheap to run (use your own ground beans), no plastic waste into the environment. Not quite as fast as Keurig/Tassimo but still much faster than a drip coffee maker.

SysOp
Atlanta, GA

SysOp to what the

to what the
said by what the:

Careful of recommending distilled water to people. A lot of people need the chemicals that are removed from the water.

Can't tell if you are joking or you're being serious.

Either way, I am laughing!

GadgetsRme
RIP lilhurricane and CJ
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Canon City, CO

3 edits

GadgetsRme

Premium Member

said by SysOp:

said by what the:

Can't tell if you are joking or you're being serious.

Either way, I am laughing!

Don't laugh to hard, what "what the" said is correct. While the occasional drink of distilled water won't hurt most people, the constant use of distilled water for drinking can leach important minerals from your body. Water systems that use reverse osmosis to treat water are required to add mineral content back in because totally pure water used all the time for drinking and cooking can cause serious damage to one's health.

Under my signature at work:
Certified Water Professional, Operator in Charge
Town of _______________, Water Enterprise

edits: shouldn't watch football and type :-D

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I don't drink coffee, but everyone else in my house does. We have a Keurig Platinum K75 and only buy the actual K-cups when there is a really good sale. The rest of the time, this is used with whatever ground coffee someone picked up on-sale:

»www.homedepot.com/p/Solo ··· 03814627

My father has one too and says it works far better than the My K-Cup version that Keurig puts out.

The "regular" coffee maker only comes out when we have houseguests, because that's the only time multiple people are drinking coffee at the same time.

SysOp
Atlanta, GA

4 edits

SysOp to GadgetsRme

to GadgetsRme
When making coffee I choose water that does not have fluoride. It's about taste rather than if distilled water is going to kill me. Better quit smoking right?

I use the same brand bottled distilled water every time I brew. Grind. Weigh. Measure. Brew.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to what the

Premium Member

to what the
Percolators and boiling cause cancer. (They also ruin the taste of good coffee).
Mele20

1 edit

Mele20 to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
You need the Cuisinart Extreme Brew 12 cup drip coffee maker. It can be set to "strong" (instead of "regular") and it makes 20 ounces (two mugs) in 3.5 minutes. It uses a permanent gold tone filter and comes with an optional charcoal filter (to remove bad tastes in some water).

It's handsome and has a three year warranty. It has a clock and is programmable so that you can set it to make the coffee each morning so it greets you when you wake up. It also has a 1-4 cup setting if you want to make a smaller amount.

The regular model has chrome sides and top but a special all matte black one is made exclusively for Macy's. It's elegant looking and avoids the need to constantly polish the chrome one. Mine's a year and one-half old and I really like it. I had to return three other coffee makers of different brands that fell apart within 90 days of purchase before I found this one at Macys. It's currently on sale with a 15% extra discount which you do NOT need to order it online if you would rather buy it in your local Macy's. Just print out the the page I link to and take that to Macy's and you will get the additional 15% off. I did that a few days ago when I bought a Shark vacuum.

»www1.macys.com/shop/prod ··· lotId%3D

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

ImpldConsent to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Click for full size
DGB-900BC
said by IowaCowboy:

thinking of getting a Coffee Maker that grinds the beans right before brewing since Dunkin sells theirs in whole bean.

Going back to the original question, while I was deployed, the K-cup makers were quick and efficient, but tasted horrible. When I got home, I was so glad that I had my Cuisinart Burr Grind & Brew Thermal 12-Cup Automatic Coffeemaker. I really like the thermal carafe without cooking the coffee.

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium Member
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX

Thespis

Premium Member

I had that coffee maker. When I finally threw it away, it had started leaking all over the counter on almost every pot. I got tired of having to watch it make coffee so I wouldn't have a huge mess to clean up.

what the
usa

1 edit

1 recommendation

what the to Mele20

to Mele20
Boiling water causes cancer?
What do you think they do to make distilled water?
What does your coffee maker do to the water in the coffee maker (go ahead and stick your fingers under the coffee makers spout when the water comes out and tell me it wasn't boiled, Electric coffee makers are just fancy Percolators that make coffee faster then a actual Percolator.