uniqs
DoctorStinky
join:2011-11-10
Brunswick, ME

DoctorStinky to lutful

to lutful

Re: [Appliances] Coffee maker question

said by lutful:

Someone may have mentioned it already. Please consider buying an Aeropress with a separate grinder. Aeropress is as quick as Keurig without the waste, and you have much better tasting coffee with lots of control during brewing.

(youtube clip)
lots of discussion about Keurig and other options in this thread: »[Appliances] Keurig commercial brewers

This.

I mentioned it in that other Keurig thread. We own two Keurigs, a Capresso drip machine, and an Aeropress. My wife uses the Keurigs (one at home, the other at camp); we use the Capresso when we're both home, and I use the Aeropress at camp. She prefers the Keurig there, and freely admits she drinks coffee only for the caffeine.

The Capresso makes the best coffee in my opinion, but the Aeropress is a close second.

deannc18938
@72.37.244.x

deannc18938

Anon

Why dont you just purchase the reusable k-cup and you can purchase dunkin donut beans and a grinder. Or you can just purchase the coffee ground already and leave it in the fridge. This way you dont have to throw away your keurig and have the expense of buying a new coffee machine.

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· 00DLB2FI
Expand your moderator at work
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to DoctorStinky

Premium Member

to DoctorStinky

Re: [Appliances] Coffee maker question

said by DoctorStinky:

The Capresso makes the best coffee in my opinion, but the Aeropress is a close second.

I have to check that out their 4-cup model.

Because of some discussion about boiling water, I wanted to highlight that even such machines actually use the steam pressure to push ONLY the hot water through the coffee grind.

From »www.capresso.com/espress ··· up.shtml
The Capresso 4-Cup Espresso & Cappuccino Machine uses a steam/boiler to quickly heat water until steam is produced. The steam creates pressure to force the water into the filter holder and through the coffee grounds to brew the espresso directly into the glass carafe.
To avoid a burnt coffee taste, stop the brewing before all the hot water has passed through the filter holder. This will ensure your espresso is never over extracted or bitter.

fuziwuzi
Not born yesterday
Premium Member
join:2005-07-01
Palm Springs, CA
Hitron EN2251
Nest H2D

fuziwuzi to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I use a Keurig machine with the Melitta Java Jig reusable cups. I like these because the paper filters are disposable and biodegradable. They're also readily available at most supermarkets (at least those here in Atlanta). »smile.amazon.com/Melitta ··· 091146V8

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369

Premium Member

said by fuziwuzi:

I use a Keurig machine with the Melitta Java Jig reusable cups. I like these because the paper filters are disposable and biodegradable. They're also readily available at most supermarkets (at least those here in Atlanta). »smile.amazon.com/Melitta ··· 091146V8

That seems like an innovative solution to the ops problem.

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I have a small bean grinder that, when full, makes about 6 cups of coffee.
I grind whole bean PJ's coffee which is roasted here in New Orleans (every morning I wake up and can smell the coffee roasting outside).

I take the freshly ground beans and make a small pot of drop coffee.

Simple, fun, makes the house smell nice.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Why not get a reusable K Cup and ground Dunks coffee? Fixed.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

What is "Dunks" coffee? I buy excellent coffee beans (Sumatra usually) from various sources but I have never heard of "Dunks".
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt to hitachi369

to hitachi369
said by hitachi369:

I use a Keurig machine with the Melitta Java Jig reusable cups.

Keurig decided to screw consumers that use non Keruig branded K-cups or other devices. Their new brewers will not operate unless the cup has a Keruig logo on the label. I wonder how long it will take before someone glues the top of a K-Cup to the top of a Java Jig to bypass the security.

I have one of these Mr. Coffee brewers:

»www.mrcoffee.com/coffeem ··· &start=1

The best part is the Stainless Steel Carafe is heated.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
New England for Dunkin Donuts.

hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH
(Software) pfSense
Switches Trash Bin
Ubiquiti UniFi AP

hitachi369 to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt
Click for full size
Ehh, I am fine paying for real k-cups cups. It will drive you crazy but I only fill it with bottled water. That is a pile of waste in my trash can every day.

Per my Club Keurig I have bought 1392 cups in the last 2 years. Say a 1/2 of a bottle of water for each cup leaves me with 1392 k-cups in the trash and 696 (not taking into account cleaning cycles) bottles in the trash.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to Mr Matt

Premium Member

to Mr Matt
I think the "new and improved" Keurig will buy Green Mountain Coffee another 13 or so years of patent protection. They do the same with pharmaceuticals, when a drug goes off patent, they change the formulation into a new drug so they can buy 13 years of patent protection. Take for example the antipsychotic Risperdal, that went off patent in 2006 so they took the active ingredient and created a new version that changed how it's absorbed into the body and made it into an extended release tablet that is taken once a day and thus Invega was born so 13 years of patent protection. They now have a dozen or so manufacturers pushing generics of Risperdal but Jansen is now aggressively marketing Invega as being better and having fewer side effects not to mention only being taken once a day. And they did the same in 1993 pushing Risperdal over Haldol or Thiridozine when Risperdal was born.

We'll probably have every company making Keurig machines (Black & Decker, Hamilton Beach, KitchenAid) but Green Mountain Coffee will push the Keurig 2.0 over the original Keurig.
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

said by IowaCowboy:

I think the "new and improved" Keurig will buy Green Mountain Coffee another 13 or so years of patent protection.

Imagine if you purchased an automobile and could only fill it at a gas station that was owned by the manufacture of the automobile. This scheme is Bullcrap and is the same thing. It is outrageous for Keurig to design their product to only be compatible with Keurig branded cups. Kurieg may have outsmarted themselves and go the way of Tassimo, which was the first cup type brewer. Tassimo had the market locked up until the Keurig brewers became available and could use bagged coffee. How many stores do you find selling Tassimo cups now?

We received a Tassimo as a house warming gift in 2007 but replaced it with a Keurig because I could use the adapter to use bagged coffee. At the time Keurig did not have flavored decaf K-cups. If you want the new series, buy it immediately or wait at least six months to purchase a series 2.0. Why, the Keurig go round will start immediately. Customers will purchase the new model and when they find they cannot use their Java Jig, Ekobrew or other refillable cups they will return it. If you by your Keurig 2.0 at Walmart expect to find it was used and repacked.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by Mr Matt:

Kurieg may have outsmarted themselves and go the way of Tassimo, which was the first cup type brewer.

Just a minor point; Keurig and their brewers have been around longer than Tassimo. The first Keurig brewers I believe were targeted for commercial environments though, residential oriented models (i.e. without water supply hookup requirements) weren't introduced until later.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

2 recommendations

ImpldConsent

Premium Member

said by AVonGauss:

Just a minor point; Keurig and their brewers have been around longer than Tassimo. The first Keurig brewers I believe were targeted for commercial environments though, residential oriented models (i.e. without water supply hookup requirements) weren't introduced until later.

(warning, subjective opinion)...and yet Keurig still tastes like crap v. drip, perculator, vacuum or moka pot. I think, because its the current fad, that people swear by them. Certainly it can't be the taste.

ARGONAUT
Have a nice day.
Premium Member
join:2006-01-24
New Albany, IN

1 recommendation

ARGONAUT

Premium Member

I used to have a Keurig. I stopped using it when I noticed a plastic and paper taste in the coffee.
Now I use a Plain Jane Mr. Coffee maker with a gold filter. It testes 100x better than Keurig.

Coffee maker: »amzn.com/B002MVJQPA
Gold filter: »amzn.com/B004KAZR5Y

Jack in VA
Premium Member
join:2014-07-07
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack in VA

Premium Member

Click for full size
We have this one. Bought it at Walmart a couple of years ago. Brews 2 pots/day and never a problem. Note that it's a Consumer Reports Best Buy.

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

3 recommendations

Cho Baka to ARGONAUT

MVM

to ARGONAUT
said by ARGONAUT:

It testes 100x better than Keurig.

That is a pretty ballsy statement!
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to Jack in VA

Premium Member

to Jack in VA
I had to return that one and two other Mr. Coffee Coffee Makers about 1.5 years ago. Mr. Coffee is utter, total junk and they LIE and LIE and LIE to the customer. Damn shame as Mr. Coffee used to taste the best but no longer. Plus, Sunbeam makes junk now that fails either immediately or within about 90 days. I had two of each model I bought as I just exchanged the bad one for one I assumed would work properly. Nope. All failed within three months. To make things worse, when I called Mr. Coffee I was given a big song and dance and an authorization number to give Target and was told Target had an agreement with them. Target told me that Mr. Coffee was full of shit as they have never had an authorization program with Mr.Coffee.

Sunbeam irons used to be best but they have been utter garbage for about ten years now. Target said Sunbeam has a very bad reputation for irons and coffee makers. I used to buy ONLY Sunbeam irons until about ten years ago I bought one in Sears and it was horrible. Then read how Sunbeam irons had deteriorated greatly in quality. When I bought the Mr. Coffees I didn't realize Sunbeam had Mr. Coffee now (I had been a Bunn lover for close to 20 years so I didn't know what was going on with MrCoffee other than that my father liked his Mr. Coffee and I knew it made hotter coffee than Bunn was now doing. Bunn is another one that used to be great. My first Bunn lasted 12 years and my second about 7. My third one was utter junk even though Bunn swore they still made them in the USA...kicker was the parts were from China so they had a horrible problem with leakage from the stainless steel tank and they were forced to turn down the temperature of the water in the tank so their machines were and still are not worth the money but they used to be fantastic. Like most things in this country...used to be great but now junk.

Beezel
join:2008-12-15
Las Vegas, NV

1 recommendation

Beezel to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

said by ARGONAUT:

+1

It comes down to the personal taste of the drinker. Not everyone will have the same opinion the different coffees and coffee makers. It is just like arguing over which beer is better and which process is better, all opinion.

Me I don't like my coffee hot when drinking. I want it cool and strong enough to peel paint off the walls. But there aren't many that would want coffee like that. But my setup and process is great to me.
lorenzo4
Blah, Blah, Blah
Premium Member
join:2011-05-01

1 recommendation

lorenzo4 to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

said by ARGONAUT:

I see what you did there. :0)

exocet_cm
Writing
Premium Member
join:2003-03-23
Brooklyn, NY

exocet_cm to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

said by ARGONAUT:

We have one at work and it takes like plastic. My mum has a Keurig and it also tastes bad.
Expand your moderator at work