join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI
TP-Link Archer C7
Linksys WRT54GS
Linksys WRT54G v4

Bill_MI

MVM

Anyone doing SMS?

I told someone I'd check for a cellphoneless solution but it seems fully locked into the cell systems.

Short Message System is outside my experience but I've been reading up. The history doesn't help much and gateways into this system seem to be for businesses with big $$$ subscriptions.

I did find lots of (I think) obsolete dialup systems complete with AT command scripts for Linux!

Any el-cheapo SMS going on among the experts here? TIA

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

1 edit

Brano

MVM

I've played with this while ago ...worked OK. Don't have it installed any more as I don't need it.
»www.kannel.org ... and I used some basic USB GSM modem (stick) with SIM card.

You may also want to check »www.gnokii.org

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

1 recommendation

Selenia to Bill_MI

Premium Member

to Bill_MI
I use Google Voice for SMS. I run my own email server so I had setup a special mailbox for GV to forward my messages to and reply to them. I use the built-in KDE mail client KMail and it checks that box every minute and gives me a separate nptification tone and type for that mailbox. Works for me and no extra software to run.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

1 edit

mackey to Bill_MI

Premium Member

to Bill_MI
Not sure what the goal is here. Are you trying to send/receive SMS messages? A number of VoIP providers such as voip.ms offer this for the normal cost of the DID. You can ask in the VoIP forum for more info and experience with different companies if this is what you're looking for. A cheaper but a bit more restrictive option is to use the recipient providers' email-to-SMS gateway and just treat them as emails.

/M

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

JohnInSJ

Premium Member

Yeah email gateways are the quick and dirty and free way to go.

Bill_MI
Bill In Michigan
MVM
join:2001-01-03
Royal Oak, MI

Bill_MI

MVM

Thanks everyone for the info. The goal is send and receive and I'm finding email works fine to send and a reply gets an email back, too. I was assuming more to it.