spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Sammy
@98.110.167.x

Sammy

Anon

Lan to Lan Question

I followed the Lan to Lan instructions for using an Asus rt-n66u as my primary router. When i don't have the Actiontec plugged into the Asus i get 300Mbps down and up. Once I plug the Actiontec into a lan port on my Asus, speedtest.net shows I get 220/300Mbps. Unplugging the actiontec will fix this.

Any ideas?

birdfeedr
MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI

birdfeedr

MVM

What router are you testing when you get 220/300? Wired in to the Actiontec, or wired in to the Asus?

Sammy
@98.110.167.x

Sammy

Anon

When I get 220/300 my setup is: ONT to the Asus, then Asus lan to Actiontec lan. The computer I've been running the speedtest on is wired to the Asus. After unplugging the Actiontec from the Asus and retrying a speedtest I get 300/300 again.

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

There must be a bug somewhere cause adding a client in the ASUS LAN should not affect the other port's speed. For you to get 300Mbps from the N66U, hardware acceleration must be on. There are some features in that router that disables hardware acceleration, ex. QOS but your problem is not related at all so it must be a bug. What firmware and version are you using in that router?

Sammy
@98.110.167.x

Sammy

Anon

On the Asus i'm using: 3.0.0.4.376_1071-g8696125

bluepoint

2 edits

bluepoint

Okay you have the latest asus firmware. Try other firmware version in the 3.0.0.4.374 branch. Asus made many changes in the new 376 branch or even try RMerlin's firmwares in the 374 branch. Flashing the firmware to RMerlin's is just the same way you flash Asus's firmwares but if you do, reset the NVRAM to factory default then configure it from scratch.
»www.mediafire.com/folder ··· 3jh7e4q4

If you need support you can ask in the Forum for RMerlin's moded firmwares.
»forums.smallnetbuilder.c ··· php?f=42

Or if you need help for ASUS firmware, you can post/ask here.
»forums.smallnetbuilder.c ··· php?f=46

BTW, did the firmware came with the router or you updated to that version? If your answer is the latter, try to reset the router to factory default first, reconfigure then test.
I might have to add, downgrading to .374 branch either ASUS's or RMerlin's will leave your router open to some vulnerabilities that was fixed in the .376.

Sammy
@98.110.167.x

Sammy

Anon

Which Rmerlin firmware should i try?
Sammy

Sammy

Anon

I downgraded to 3.0.0.4.374_5517 and get 300/300 with the Actiontec plugged in Lan to Lan. Thanks very much bluepoint. However, now you have me interested in custom firmware. i've worked with DD-WRT on previous routers before. How is it on the Asus Dark Knight. Also, it looks like Rmerlin's latest release is Asuswrt-Merlin 376.45. I might want to try that after understanding how to reset my NVRAM.

bluepoint, are there other ways of talking? gchat, irc, whatever. or is this forum the best way of contacting you?

bluepoint

bluepoint

Merlin's 376.45 is based from ASUS's 376 branch GPL so sadly the bug you experience might also be present in his firmware. You can try and see. Ill suggest you report the bug to ASUS so they can fix it.
You can use DD-WRT or Tomato with this router but last time I check both firmwares does not enable hardware acceleration with this router.
You can contact me here or in the smallnetbuilder's forums if you have some questions but you are better off asking questions in the smallnetbuilder forum, there are many smart member there that are willing to help. Remember all members there are not ASUS employees but fellow ASUS router users.

Sammy
@98.110.167.x

Sammy

Anon

Cool, i'll try a few different firmwares tomorrow to see what i like best. Will hitting restore under Administration - Restore/Save/Upload Setting clear the NVRAM? also after doing that do I just browse to the firmware file as if it were an official release? Thanks again.

bluepoint

bluepoint

Yes that will be one method by clicking "restore" to factory default. If you were moving around with firmwares do not restore old configuration settings instead configure from scratch.
When you do a factory reset, after you reboot all your settings are erased, therefore you need to configure everything including the passwords, SSID, shared keys, port forwarding if any, ..etch.

Sammy
@98.110.167.x

Sammy

Anon

I'm using 376.45 (Merlin build) and getting 300/300. Everything looks good so far. Must have been an issue with the stock 376 firmware.. On another note, how often does Rmerlin update these?
Sammy

Sammy

Anon

Also, is there a good place to discuss torrenting, torrent clients, advantages, disadvantages, etc etc?

bluepoint

bluepoint

That's good to know that Merlin's customized firmware works. And one thing I'd like to clarify, do the restore to factory default after you installed a firmware. If you stay with RMerlin's firmwares the next releases can be installed without restoring to factory default not unless RMerlin says so.
RMerlin updates his firmwares when there are a new released GPL from ASUS.
As far as torrenting, I have no clue and better asked in the proper forum. If you have further questions, just PM me or ask in the smallnetbuilder forum, we are drifting too much to the purpose of these forums.

eival
join:2008-07-09
Richland, WA

eival to Sammy

to Sammy
you have to take into count the bandwidth being used by your STB's

also set up a QoS rule with your main PC as the highest then the STB's just under it