Search similar:

uniqs
dutchtender
join:2010-11-21
Sunnyvale, CA

1 edit

dutchtender

[Speed] upgraded from performance starter to next tier up - 50m down

I just upgraded to Performance Internet. I am still using my docsis 2 modem a moto 5101. I just did a speed test and I am at 17m down and 2 up over wifi. My router is linksys e3200 stock firmware. My adapter is ae2500. I am getting ipv6 tests which are about the same.

Am I being limited by my modem? I was told I could use this modem and get faster speeds. I have a new 3 modem coming. Any ideas? thanks.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

Chris 313

Premium Member

[Speed] Re: upgraded from performance starter to next tier up - 50m down

said by dutchtender:

I just upgraded to Performance Internet. I am still using my docsis 2 modem a moto 5101. I just did a speed test and I am at 17m down and 2 up over wifi. My router is linksys e3200 stock firmware. My adapter is ae2500. I am getting ipv6 tests which are about the same.

Am I being limited by my modem? I was told I could use this modem and get faster speeds. I have a new 3 modem coming. Any ideas? thanks.

Absolutely. You can't use a D2 modem and get 50. Ditch the old modem and put a docsis 3 in it's place.

What modem do you have coming to replace the 5101?

These are great Docsis 3 modems:
»www.amazon.com/Zoom-DOCS ··· OM+5341j
»www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· le+modem

And if you want top of the line: »www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Mot ··· le+modem

I don't know about your router or adapters, but if you have any speed issues after getting the Docsis 3 modem, try it without your router and adapter in the mix with just the modem to the computer, and go from there.

Also, be sure to come back tell us how it went and if you have any issues.

Ripper
Premium Member
join:2002-02-07
Lake Worth, FL

Ripper to dutchtender

Premium Member

to dutchtender
Check here »mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/ to see what modems are approved by Comcast for Blast, set slider to Blast and there are many choices.

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL
Motorola MB8600
(Software) pfSense

1 recommendation

cHarley to dutchtender

to dutchtender
said by dutchtender:

I just did a speed test and I am at 17m down and 2 up over wifi.

There are too many (negative) environmental variables when using WiFi to test your true drop speed. Run your speed test with a wired connection and if the speed is OK, your issue is WiFi related. While not ideal, a D2 modem is capable of 50Mbs.

Jim721
join:2014-07-31
Belleville, MI

Jim721

Not really, I think about the most you will get with D-2 is about 36 maybe 40mbps in real world speed.

iNick
Premium Member
join:2012-12-11
Joliet, IL

iNick to dutchtender

Premium Member

to dutchtender
Yes, The Router & Wi-Fi Adapter is more then enough it's just the Modem which you said is being upgraded to an Docsis 3.0.

cHarley
join:2013-07-10
Boynton Beach, FL
Motorola MB8600
(Software) pfSense

cHarley

Sorry, but I disagree. The OP is only getting 17m down and 2 up, which is nowhere near the limit of a DOCSIS 2 modem. Unless he's on a heavily loaded node and only doing the speed test in the evenings when node traffic is heavy.

The speed test should be run from a wired connection and during both off-peak and peak hours for comparison.
dutchtender
join:2010-11-21
Sunnyvale, CA

1 edit

dutchtender

I have the zoom J modem coming early next week. I was running the speed tests last night. I will try to run them during the day. It is going to be hard for me to move my PC (desktop) close enough to test direct connection. thanks!

my 5g speeds are 17m down. my 2.4g speeds are 8m down. upload seems to always be around 2m up.

ps: just did the test this morning and got the same speeds. It seems like a wifi limitation. but the router and adapter are very fast. hopefully the docsis 3 gets me rated speed!