share rss forum feed

dark_star

join:2003-11-14
Louisville
kudos:1

3 recommendations

Had my bathtub refinished by Miracle Method this week

Click for full size
Before. Large rusted chip on left edge. Dark streaks in bottom will not come clean with vigorous scrubbing.
Click for full size
The primer coat.
Click for full size
All done, except for re-caulking.
It was a color change from 1950's green to white. The tub was in fair condition with only one rust spot. But on the bottom of the tub, the shine was completely worn off and would not come completely clean no matter how hard I scrubbed.

Bath Magic would have been two hundred bucks cheaper at $300, versus $500 for Miracle Method.

Bath Magic wanted about $20 extra to repair the chip, and made clear that adhesion would not be covered on the rust repair. Miracle Method covered the chip at no extra charge, although the franchise owner (who wrote the estimate) did emphasize that in reflective light, the repair was not guaranteed to be invisible.

Miracle Method requested that I remove the caulk before the tech showed up. I noticed on the estimate form that there was a line for one hour of labor. But since I did that myself, there was no amount so I don't know how much it would have been.

I eventually decided that Miracle Method was worth the extra money and inconvenience (Miracle Method is a two day job, Bath Magic is in and out in one day) due to the warranty. Both have a 5 year adhesion only warranty, but the Bath Magic warranty is pro-rated in the manner of many automobile batteries.

Time will tell how well it holds up.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
$500 ?!?!?!?!?
I'd just do sledge hammer and new tub.

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
said by nunya:

$500 ?!?!?!?!?

That approach would definitely give cost more than this and been much more disruptive. In addition know the new jobs are as good as the old cast-iron tubs. Depending on how the home is decorated the style of the tub could be much more appropriate compared to any of the new sleek looking tubs. I see lots of reasons to do refinishing instead of destruction.
--
Written using Dragon NaturallySpeaking

Thespis
I'm not an actor, but I play one on TV.
Premium
join:2004-08-03
Keller, TX
reply to nunya
Can you still buy an art deco tub like this?
--
Fast. Cheap. Safe.
Pick two...

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to Msradell
More cost? No, because I would DIY. You can get a new cast iron tub for $300 at the supply house. Probably the same at Menard's Lowe's Depot.
Disruptive, maybe. Saving and repairing the bottom tile would be the hardest part of the job. Fitting the tub in is pretty simple once you are committed to destruction.
--
...or the sheriff will grab ya and the boys will bring you down. The next thing you know, boy - oh you're prison bound...

dark_star

Louisville
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

$500 ?!?!?!?!?

Sledge hammer and new tub is not even close to $500! As you can partly see in the last photo, the wall tile goes around the whole bathroom, all four walls. The walls would have needed to be stripped down to bare studs, new tile put in, and the toilet and sink removed.

I would have to hire out the tile job, as I doubt my ability to apply wall tile and get excellent results on the first try. So we'd be talking several thousand dollars, at least.

Also, it is a one bath house and I don't fancy crapping in a bucket in the basement for a week.

dark_star

Louisville
reply to Msradell
said by Msradell:

That approach would definitely give cost more than this and been much more disruptive. In addition know the new jobs are as good as the old cast-iron tubs. Depending on how the home is decorated the style of the tub could be much more appropriate compared to any of the new sleek looking tubs. I see lots of reasons to do refinishing instead of destruction.

In addition to a full bath remodel (too expensive for me), I considered going with a tub and shower liner, but my personal preference is against it. I've stayed at motels where the liner leaks, and the tub squishes when you stand in the shower. Yech.

My neighbor had a liner installed, and his does not leak. But it gave the tub a boxy square edged appearance that I don't particularly like. Also, in general, I don't like cover ups. If something is going bad, I don't want it hidden away.

samuel0

@206.47.249.x
its funny how they Taped over the emergency water overflow drain? why didnt they just unscrew it and paint? it would be cleaner?

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
You ever take apart something that old. Some things you leave be unless it's necessary ......

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
reply to dark_star
So is everything pink now, or is that a color cast from a light? Either way, it looks better.

Re-grout those wall tiles and you will be in good shape.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
reply to dark_star
Nice, I also have a 50s tub. Mine is pink tho. I have been looking at tubs at lowes and couldnt really find anything i really liked. Im thinking im going to go your route after seeing yours.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to dark_star
A modern reproduction of that tub would be in the $2500 range... And probably wouldn't have the same feel or mass to it.

Looks good, and (IMO) money well spent... Hope it stands up well for you!

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
Puuuuuhshaw. There's nothing special about that tub. I have the same one in my 1961 bathroom.
An equivalent replacement is $350 at Home Depot. »www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Villa···00069783

$500 seems awful steep for what you get.

dark_star

Louisville
reply to jrs8084
said by jrs8084:

So is everything pink now, or is that a color cast from a light?

Off color cast is the CFL lighting.

said by jrs8084:

Re-grout those wall tiles and you will be in good shape.

It's as good as it's going to get. I'm too lazy, I mean busy to scrape out that much grout.

dark_star

Louisville
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

Nice, I also have a 50s tub. Mine is pink tho. I have been looking at tubs at lowes and couldnt really find anything i really liked. Im thinking im going to go your route after seeing yours.

It's pretty much the same around here, the 50's baths are mostly green or pink (sometimes called "salmon"). Odd that very few are blue, as that was definitely a male oriented era.

dark_star

Louisville
reply to LazMan
said by LazMan:

Looks good, and (IMO) money well spent... Hope it stands up well for you!

Thanks!

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
reply to dark_star
You don't need to scrape it out.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

1 recommendation

reply to nunya
It's all what a person thinks something is worth. The tub in the OP is far more stylish than the plain jane model you linked to. $500 is steep, but there was nothing wrong with the old tub. $350+tax+my time and labor makes it far more easy to swallow refinishing the old one.

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink
reply to dark_star
said by dark_star:

It's pretty much the same around here, the 50's baths are mostly green or pink (sometimes called "salmon"). Odd that very few are blue, as that was definitely a male oriented era.

Ah, but the bathroom was the ladies' domain.
--
Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive... those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.
C.S. Lewis

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
That and the kitchen. Want to really impress your wife? For her birthday she'd like nothing more than that new blender she's been eyeing.

rody_44
Premium
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to dark_star
I was looking at them a couple of weeks ago at lowes. I was torn between a cheap looking cast one that would hold up, or a good looking non cast one that looked good but looked like it wouldnt hold up for shit. Thanks for sharing as its a easy decision for me now. Yours looks great compared to the ones at the store.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
reply to dark_star
The blue ones are mostly from the 60's and 70's if I recall correctly. I've also seen avocado green tubs from that era.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

That and the kitchen. Want to really impress your wife? For her birthday she'd like nothing more than that new blender she's been eyeing.

Indeed, although I'd be eating every meal after that if it were me.

dark_star

Louisville
reply to rody_44
said by rody_44:

I was looking at them a couple of weeks ago at lowes. I was torn between a cheap looking cast one that would hold up, or a good looking non cast one that looked good but looked like it wouldnt hold up for shit. Thanks for sharing as its a easy decision for me now. Yours looks great compared to the ones at the store.

Keep in mind that this is paint, high quality paint, but it is paint nonetheless and not baked on porcelain. So it won't last like porcelain, and it is not as resistant to scratching as porcelain. The big things with them is no abrasive cleaners or pads (no green scrunges), and no bleach. Hair dye can also be a problem.

Fantastic and foaming tub cleaners are ok, and they recommend non-scratching Teflon safe sponges. Otherwise, you risk scratching the finish.

dark_star

Louisville
reply to jrs8084
said by jrs8084:

You don't need to scrape it out.

To do it right, I think you do.

what the

join:2014-06-28
usa
reply to dark_star
What I found to work on hard to remove dirt stains from a unpainted tub or shower is Power Laundry Detergent (I use Tide), wet the tub or shower sprinkle the detergent on it and scrub a little with a brush, leave it for 3-5 minutes then lightly wet it again and do the brush thing again, then rinse.

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
reply to dark_star
Great job. Congrats. Looks to be either Shell or Venetian Pink (American Standard).

Did the install also include a non-skid surface on the bottom of the tub?

Your money's already been spent and in my opinion it was done wisely, even if you did have the opportunity to replace that 40-to-50 year old cast iron with a contemporary steel one.

One thought kept repeating itself to me though: that 2-handle tub/shower valve. Chances are it isn't pressure-balanced (scald guard). If that bathroom is where most showers in the residence are taken, you might want to keep in mind upgrading it (the tub/shower valve) to more current standards.

InigoMontoya

join:2014-04-28
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

Puuuuuhshaw. There's nothing special about that tub. I have the same one in my 1961 bathroom.
An equivalent replacement is $350 at Home Depot. »www.homedepot.com/p/KOHLER-Villa···00069783

$500 seems awful steep for what you get.

That's not even close to the same tub but please do keep trying to convince everyone your right as it's pretty amusing.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO

2 recommendations

There's nothing special about the existing tub. It's cast iron and holds water.

cowboyro
Premium
join:2000-10-11
Shelton, CT
reply to dark_star
At the end of the day it's a painted dated tub in a dated bath. And given the look of the old caulking I'm willing to bet it leaked and there is mold.
While DIY redoing a bathroom isn't a task for everyone, I would have done it. New tub, tiles over cement board, new floor tiles with heat.... Some $2500 total.