CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to mackey

MVM

to mackey

Re: [HVAC] How screwed are we?

It is difficult to turn and did not even try to turn with the motor. I will say, it is 24 years old and we have been in the house 15 years next month and this is the first issue we have had....

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey

Premium Member

24 years? Ouch! In this case it looks like it can be fixed with just a fan motor, but at 24 years old you should probably start budgeting to replace the system, especially now that the compressor has been stressed by running several hours without airflow.

/M
harald
join:2010-10-22
Columbus, OH

harald to CylonRed

to CylonRed
What mackey said.

Also, replacing R22 refrigerant is expensive.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed to mackey

MVM

to mackey
Yep - thought about that and asked a ballpark for replacement just in case.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya

MVM

Even if it's just the fan motor, it's still an easy fix - once again, Grainger.
You might even be able to free up the old motor temporarily, although the damage has already been done.

I'll bet the HVAC guy tries to talk you into a new system "here and now'.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Yea - it is fixed. He ran the numbers along with me to see if it would be cheaper to get it replaced under their maintenance plan (it was a little more expensive so we just did the replacement). Never tried to sell a new system to me at all. Used the same capacitor - if it goes we can use the original manufacturer capacitor.

Also looks like the closest Grainger is closed on the weekends. No way I would be able to pick up the part on Monday as I could only get there at least an hour after they closed (hour drive to and from work).
We have a couple companies that do HVAC that are good and don;t try and screw the customer every time.

samuel0
@206.47.249.x

samuel0

Anon

mine was a faulty/pregnant capacior. cost me $99 including service man

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
All grainger locations are closed on weekends.. they do have a emergency service but it's $50 extra and sure you need a business for them for that.

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Also looks like the closest Grainger is closed on the weekends. No way I would be able to pick up the part on Monday as I could only get there at least an hour after they closed (hour drive to and from work).

If you need a motor, go here: »www.mrelectricsales.com/home.cfm (they're open Saturday mornings too)

(Sorry for reviving this - I was looking for your mower thread)