Search similar:

uniqs
madeitog
join:2013-08-10
Romney, WV

madeitog

Better margin means?...

Click for full size
Yes I'm wondering, if I can get my margin better by running cat 3 would that help speed and ping? Or would it just be more stable? Or something else? And is there difference between cat 3 and cat 5? Everyone please try and answer !

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 recommendation

Smith6612

MVM

For DSL just go with CAT3. CAT5 is IMO, a waste of money unless you're cramming Gigabit DSL down the copper.

To see if you can get an improvement out of replacing your wiring, try connecting the modem up to your NID and pulling the stats again. If they're improved, you can install a Home Run and use CAT3 between the DSL/POTS Splitter and your modem.
DeLiver3
Premium Member
join:2004-09-01
Cincinnatus, NY

DeLiver3

Premium Member

+1 ^ Couldn't have said it better.
lawsoncl
join:2008-10-28
Spirit Lake, ID

lawsoncl to madeitog

to madeitog
A homerun with a quality splitter at the NID can help with snr, sometimes a lot depending on the inside wiring. If you're running a new line, you might as well use cat-3 or cat-5. Use what ever is cheaper or available as either is higher quality than the 3 miles of telco cable between you and the CO. Your margin actually looks decent considering the distance that attenuation number implies, and I think your line would you could go faster. Guessing you have a 1meg/128k plan?

I've actually got a few runs of DSL going 4500 feet on 26-gauge untwisted working nicely at 1-meg, using off the sheld ethernet->dsl converters.

techshaven
@50.51.136.x

techshaven to madeitog

Anon

to madeitog
Shooting from the hip here, but I would bet you could get 3M down and still have 7 or 8dB. If you want a snappier response, ask your ISP if the data path is really set to "Fast." It looks like your report is from a netgear 7550, which may report "Fast" when it is really "Interleaved." You want to have a margin >6dB.

If I just stretch out a couple miles of wire, it will have electro-magnetic "noise" on it. After we put a DSL signal on it, that signal should be at least 6dB above other noise - that's your Noise Margin, or Signal to Noise Ratio.